• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who should come back or who should leave?

Come back- Misty, Paul, Barry, Looker, Jessiebelle
Leave- :Shrug: (i dont see why alot of people want to see TR leave. Well, i guess that the rockets have had a good run, and it would be best if they left at the end of BW rather than leave when popularity for them had reached an all time low. Though if i had to decide whether or not TR leaves, I really wouldnt want them to leave)
Never come back: HARLEY!, Dawn (and her piplup for that matter), Kenny...

Everyone should come back. Digimon had huge casts. People constantly accuse Pokemon of ripping off Digimon so lets actually do that for a change and say, "Yeah. So fucking what?" :p

Who should come back: Dawn, May, Max. Dawn especially, man! She should have stayed. :<

Who should never ever return again, while getting rid of all that fucking popularity she doesn't deserve: the loud and annoying tramp known as Misty/Kasumi. Ugh. I eagerly await the day when some goes "so anyone remembers Misty?" and everyone else would be like "who?". One day...

Back: Dawn, May, Paul, Barry
Leave: I don't know, I've been liking all the Best Wishes characters. FairyRed Misty's been gone for a while now and hasn't made an appearnce since AGXD

Characters i would like to have back:
Misty:Because in my opinion she is a great and fun character and her antics and dynamic with group made this show interesting to watch,sadly never getting closure with her story being unfinished.
Also it would be interesting to see her grow more expanding more on her story like goal of becoming water master seeing her advancing her career and learning more about her backstory and past getting some quality character development out of it.Something being done with some of her unerdeveloped pokemon and new ones she may catch would be welcomed addition too.
Her return would in my opinion give justice to her character and all that untapped potential,giving us nice twist from current formula aswell opportunity to see her,her pokemon,battles and future accomplishments more often instead of everything being left to imagination and questionable and very rare appearances.

Tracey:Im surprised no one wants this guy back.We know nothing about his past life and family,nor we know what ignited in him desire to become pokemon watcher.He was very short lived character and it would be nice in my opinion seeing him getting some development(something he never got lol).

Characters i dont want to come back:Im usually open for anyone of ex main companions to return as long writers are willing to create some interesting storyline for them to be given purpose and be developed more.So i dont think i would be against any ex main character coming back being open minded to it.

All those artificial reasons of "character is done" or his "story is over"is kinda silly tbh.Its always possible to create new subplots in someones story and create conflicts which character would need to overcome and in reality every Ash companion who left still has unfinished things on which it could be expanded doing more.

I don't want anyone to come back to the cast or else the current one won't get development. I'm all for an episode where EVERYBODY that's traveled with Satoshi joins up though :p

Im not sure if i get what you mean.If some of older characters get back that doesnt mean new character will suddenly get neglected.If writers wanted they could always do mix of older and new cast like they did in AG and DP or trying out another group of four.

A lot of the characters' stories are over. Haruka and Hikari and Kasumi all got their development, etc. Takeshi even got decent closure and he's the longest runner. More frequent HOSO's would be really, really wonderful though. AG never even got one :(

I have to disagree with you here.With lot of this characters writers never did as much as they could leaving a lot more to be desired and done.

For example with Misty there was left many unanswered and unexplored things from her goal of becoming water pokemon master not being known much and how could someone achieve it(barring that Whirl Cup which explained abit whole thing)going nowhere at this point,to her background and opportunity to learn more about parents or from where her fears originate from like bug phobia,to opportunity to do more with her older pokemon(like Psyduck,Horsea etc)seeing her further growth as trainer and character.

There are left conflicts and flaws on which writers could expand too:-like lack of tolerance toward "non cute pokemon" and bugs
-inabillty to handle some of her pokemon quickly giving up on it(like its case with duck)
-still being insecure as character looking for someone recognition to reassure her how she is doing good job.We can see that when she tried to get some recognition from her sisters when they returned of doing good job being disappointed with way they treat gym and her or in "Real Cleffa Hanger"when she was frustrated of Daisy an others not respecting her decisions sharing with Max how she just wish her sisters would understand how she is capable to do things on her own getting some respect for it.Especially from Lily and Violet.

Her story never received proper closure either.With Misty her departure of coming back to gym out of obligation was random with no real build up happening prior to that with nothing going for her getting resolved never coming to any significant realization which would help her to achieve her dream.Nor she was written out in a way which serves as indication of further progress of her story being made.Specials after departure didnt showed any further progress of her story for most part(like goal of becoming master,desire to learn everything she can,to catch legendary water type etc)either with plots which formed it being left at standstill going nowhere.

With Max writers definitely didnt do as much as they could either but that was mostly because of not being allowed to have pokemon.Though because of this handicap he will i guess forever stay in limb being unable to receive closure and start his journey as trainer one day due to characters not aging.

But is not like they couldnt with May or Dawn introduce new rivals and story arcs creating new obstacles and issues their characters would need to pass seeing them making further progress toward their careers and developing more.

inb4kasumitrollers

I dont see anyone trolling so far.

I don't particularly want any of the characters back, as I'd rather see the focus go to new characters who haven't been developped yet and provide a whole new storyline. At most, I guess it could be nice to find out how some of the old characters are doing (I remember really wanting to find out how well May did in the Johto GF), but even that is far from essential.
Otherwise...

Come back? Paul, but only for an arc...or two...or three...or his own spin-off series...

Leave? Ash's Pikachu...forever :p

This. I'm still waiting on that "The Adventures of Ash and Paul" mini-series :p.

And yeah, there aren't any characters I really want to see leave either.

Back: May, Drew, Harley, Brock
Leave: No one in particular.
Never come back: Misty.

Don't kill me.

The only characters who need to return are Tracey and Max. Even if you hate them, you can't deny that they are the ones in need of the most development.

I don't think anyone should leave.

All characters who left aside from Tracey and Max should never return again.

The only characters who need to return are Tracey and Max. Even if you hate them, you can't deny that they are the ones in need of the most development.

I don't think anyone should leave.

All characters who left aside from Tracey and Max should never return again.

While i agree how Max and Tracey were the least developed there are other characters beside them who were never used to full potential having potential to be developed more like Misty for example.Noone can deny how writers didnt do as much as they could with character being mainly mr.Shudo fault openly admitting why her story was left underdeveloped.

As for others like May or Dawn i wouldnt even mind having them back.Its not like their stories couldnt be reopened creating some nicely put arc refreshing it through new rivals,pokemon and subplots developing them more.

Frankly i dont think i will ever understand some peoples mindset of older character return=bad.

Leave: Everybody
Return: Nobody

And start Gen VI saga with the two player characters and someone else.

Return: Brock, Conway, Paul, Barry, Croagunk
Leave: Cilan, Everyone who first showed up in generation 5, Iris, All gen 5 pokemon, Cilan

Leave- :Shrug: (i dont see why alot of people want to see TR leave. Well, i guess that the rockets have had a good run, and it would be best if they left at the end of BW rather than leave when popularity for them had reached an all time low. Though if i had to decide whether or not TR leaves, I really wouldnt want them to leave)

I don't want them to leave either, as they mean life to me, but I'm just being rational here. Now it's the best time for them to leave. They're awesome characters and they deserve awesome closure. Only BW can give them that.

Besides, they would have to leave sooner or later nevertheless. And if I had to choose, I'd prefer them leaving at the end of BW when they still are popular to leaving because everyone got bored and tired of them.

COME BACK TO US, BROCK!
I like the cast so far, so I wouldn't let anyone leave

I don't want them to leave either, as they mean life to me, but I'm just being rational here. Now it's the best time for them to leave. They're awesome characters and they deserve awesome closure. Only BW can give them that.

And is there any reason to believe how Team Rocket wouldnt continue be treated good in generation 6 as well?

Considering for how long they are part of this show they might as well stay until end of this show.
While they arent my favorite character i grow found of them and taking them out would just leave big gap in my opinion which their characters managed to fulfill rather good being than left to rot and be forgotten experiencing faith which many other great older characters are doomed to.

Besides, they would have to leave sooner or later nevertheless. And if I had to choose, I'd prefer them leaving at the end of BW when they still are popular to leaving because everyone got bored and tired of them.

If people havent got tired of them after 13 years i cant see why that would suddenly change.Writers are obviously doing something good with them when they retained their popularity.
And they will always be viewed as "fresh"by new kids which form major part of fanbase being target demographic.

Even someone like Brock who wasnt given proper treatment didnt became any less popular either with polls on pokemon forums not giving realistic picture or speaking in name of entire fandom.People would be surprised how much his character is still popular having many followers on various sits,youtube,around here(many Brock lovers never even come in anime sub forum).
In older fanbase which counts thousands of fans 50 to 200 people who praised his leaving are small minority in reality.

One could argue for TR leaving how "writers did everything they could"but same argument appeared for them during AG and DP and yet writers managed to give them more of a role by having Jessie becoming coordinator.
In theory you can always go further with characters with only sky being the limit.

There is no such thing as character being used to max always being possible to create new subplots and develop older ones in case they werent developed before.

I'm starting to agree with those who say that Ash should leave. I like him a lot but these days, especially in BW, his noobish behaviour is really jarring. From beating two legendaries to losing to a beginner twice in row, its really getting worse and worse.

In Hoenn, it was ok. From putting a good show in the Johto League to doing decent in Hoenn is not a completely unbelievale transition

Then we Pikachu beating a Regice but failing to beat an Elekid. That was really bad but atleast in that battle against Paul, Ash's other Pokemon did well.

But now its just plain ridiculous.

Its time to retire Ash. I thought that with BW being a fresh start, it would be the perfect oppurtunity and excuse to replace Ash but the writers are particularly stubborn about keeping him around.

Who should come back?
Some of Ash's older 'mons, I guess. Perhaps characters like Paul, who really pushed Ash as a trainer.

Who I'd want to come back?
Well, not that Bianca being around isn't more than satisfactory to begin with, I wouldn't be at all opposed to all the fun characters to popping in for an episode or two. To state the obvious, that would include the likes of Harley, Barry and Conway specifically. Realistically, I don't think we'll ever see any of them again, but it's a nice thought to imagine Barry meeting Bianca or Cilan vs. Harley.

As for 'mons, gonna lay that broken record on the turntable and say 'Corphish' for the billionth time. It's always fun to imagine him in scenarios with all the other 'comic relief' pokemon. Someday, him, Oshawott, Scraggy, Gliscor and Gible need to meet and engage in 20 minutes of wacky hijinks.

Who I'd want to leave?
Trip. Naturally I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of this guy ever being interesting.
Otherwise, everyone else I wanted out of the show has already left. I'm not sad to see the back of Dawn or her Piplup, and am glad that Brock was finally put out of his misery.
I'm hesitant to say the Rockets, but part of me is inclined to agree with Musashi and jessierocketka for reasons already stated.

There aren't any 'mons I'd like to see go, however. I don't think Pidove and Sewaddle were the wisest choices, but with the whole rotation thing going on, it's not too big a deal.

Last edited:
Whoever said Trip should leave must have been a joke. Trip seems like the only real character who's making Ash take things seriously. If not him then who, Bell? Oh please. Iris doesn't like battling him and Team Rocket doesn't hardly battle him anymore like they used to. Cilan might be his only training method. But just like in DP he could just use his own pokemon against each other.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom