• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who Wants to Make a Fan Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akamadoushi

Red Mage
Reaction score
I don't know for sure that this is the right place for this, but I read the descriptions for a couple of other forums and right now this is my best guess. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I am willing to learn!

Now, down to business. In my spare time I've been working little-by-little on a design document for a game similar in concept to Pokémon, with a different setting and a somewhat darker tone (I write stuff like this for fun). It's fun to fantasize about getting a major game developer to take it and seeing it come out on DS (maybe Nintendo/Gamefreak looking to start a little finance-friendly self-competition), but I know that is excruciatingly unlikely to ever happen.

But a different thought occurred recently. I've heard about hacked Pokémon games where people put in custom monsters, fake moves, new dialogue, etc. This wouldn't necessarily need to be a hacked cartridge, I think it would probably be safer and more legal if it were made as a computer game (cross-platform mac/pc/linux). Furthermore, an actual game might actually grab the attention of a major publisher/developer whereas the design document alone never would.

So, what say you fellow Pokéfans? Are there any skilled programmers here? I'm handling the bulk of the writing, but I don't have any programming or artistic skills to back it up. I could possibly get some friends to do concept art, but it'll be an uphill battle if we can't make money on this since my artist friends are all professional. Also, rather than freely distribute, maybe we could hoard it and use it as a pitch to a VG publisher when it reaches some state of completion (then give it away free when no one wants to publish it)? I mean...it's not entirely crazy for a group of people to meet on a forum, produce a game, then get it published, look at FF: Crystal Chronicles.

I'm not going to release too much information about the concept publicly until I can assemble a team and then figure out what we want to do as a group (free game or mainstream game). If you're interested and would like more details, PM or AIM me (AIM preferred).

*Sneaks into the thread*

Well, hopefully this thread is in the right place, and is allowed in the rules, because I don't want to get infracted or something for posting here... :-/

Actually, this thread is something I once considered doing before. I have a program to create RPG's, and I've also found a Pokemon starter kit with codes, pre-existant sprites, animations, etc.

However, seeing as programming just a small map with 5 minutes of gameplay took me 4 hours, and spriteing one character's walking movements took me 3, it is a bit unfeasible when you consider all the custom sprites you have to draw and all the programming needed. Keep in mind this would be done by one person or a small handfull, as compared to the many people working at Gamefreak or Nintendo.

Of course, if you have a lot of dedication and time on your hands, go ahead and take up the challenge. I know I will make my own non-pokemon RPG, probably next summer.

Good Luck, from Quest :)

However, seeing as programming just a small map with 5 minutes of gameplay took me 4 hours, and spriteing one character's walking movements took me 3, it is a bit unfeasible when you consider all the custom sprites you have to draw and all the programming needed. Keep in mind this would be done by one person or a small handfull, as compared to the many people working at Gamefreak or Nintendo.

Of course, if you have a lot of dedication and time on your hands, go ahead and take up the challenge. I know I will make my own non-pokemon RPG, probably next summer.

Good Luck, from Quest :)

Thanks, but the intent of this thread was actually to try and find like-minded folks who maybe have the technological and visual arts know-how that I lack, but maybe don't have an idea just yet or don't have the writing talent to really flesh it out. If I could do everything myself, a game like this might take a decade. However, seeing as I am inept in programming and visual arts it's unfeasible altogether for me to go at it alone.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles was developed by a group of people who met on a Final Fantasy forum. They made a simplistic version of the game and showed it to Square, Square polished it up and published it. I think it's entirely possible to do something similar here. If I can find a team of dedicated people, I think it can be pulled off.

I would help you, but I just don't have the time for that, so sorry... However, I could do a couple sprites maybe. That's it, though :XD:

Yeah, because I'm no programmer, but I can do graphics, and there are some people in artists alcove doing some custom spriting too, I believe.

BTW, I had never heard of FF: Crystal Chronicles before, so that's kind of my initial confusion here.

Last edited:
If it was six years ago and I still remembered all my programming knowledge, I would be glad to help with the programming in my free time. But alas, my knowledge of programming has degraded with lack of using it. If it were seven years ago, before I was stabbed, losing my ability to draw, I would have been able to do character artwork, but it is not. And if my eyes weren't crap, and I didn't leave my glasses in Japan, I could have helped with spritework. However if you need a writer who is capable of creating unique characters with bizarre and sometimes rather insane personalities, I'd be glad to help...

I'd actually like to do this for PacificBlue, the comic I'm working on, but I've settled for Windows Movie Maker video clips of animations. (This way I can put in whatever audio I want, too)

Your idea sounds pretty unique, though. I'd like to see it finished.

If it was six years ago and I still remembered all my programming knowledge, I would be glad to help with the programming in my free time. But alas, my knowledge of programming has degraded with lack of using it. If it were seven years ago, before I was stabbed, losing my ability to draw, I would have been able to do character artwork, but it is not. And if my eyes weren't crap, and I didn't leave my glasses in Japan, I could have helped with spritework. However if you need a writer who is capable of creating unique characters with bizarre and sometimes rather insane personalities, I'd be glad to help...

I'm sorry to hear about the stabbing, that's terrible. As for writing, right now I'm working through the various monsters and I'm going to tackle details on the playable area next (have some ideas already, but nothing on paper just yet). NPCs and items will probably come next. If you want to get involved, IM me at IoliteObsidian (AIM) and I'll tell you a little more about the project, you can decide if you want to assist in writing or not. It never hurts to have more creative minds thinking towards the same goal!

Hey guys, guess what's what. No discussion of "fan games" or "hack games" here, kay?

Just to elaborate a bit on TTE's post...

Nintendo and The Pokémon Company have always taken a very strict stance with regards to these kinds of projects with all of its properties. Bulbagarden has already received two Cease & Desist notices with regards to fan projects (firstly with the original POL project way back in 2001, and secondly with a free Bulbapedia iPhone app that we were about to sponsor following that debacle earlier this year), and it's not an experience we care to repeat. Every fan site out there for every property not in the public domain exists only at the whim of the copyright holder. We would prefer not to start poking that sleeping giant with pointy sticks, lest it decide to roll over and squash us flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom