• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who was more tragic? Necrozma or Kyurem?

The more tragic legendary?

• Necrozma

• Kyurem

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Powerful legendaries who currently exist in broken, incomplete forms. Through no faults of their own, both of these titans lost aspects of themselves in saddening ways, bringing them to how they exist now. Thus given their backstories and current existence, in your opinion, who would you say is the more tragic between the two?

I felt bad for neither. Let them rot.

But technically, Necrozma suffered more for being locked in that tower for who knows how long. Kyurem scared the Lacunosa people and was only sought by Ghetsis.

Kyurem was manipulated by Ghetsis/Team Plasma; Necrozma was just in pain and lashed out. I'd say Necrozma was more tragic.

Definitely Necrozma. It was starving for light. It was acting out of pain. Kyurem was nothing more than a tool with no backstory or personality.

Necrozma , also its changed to ascend from rock/psychic into dragon/psychic,
Kyurem only changed form to look similar and gain moves.

Kyreum, because at least Necrozma can go into its ultimate form plus the two "possessed" forms. Kyreum only has two fusion forms, and not even become the full dragon that it once was.
Also, imo being incomplete cannot be compared to the suffering of knowing that one is just a useless shell left behind after Reshiram and Zekrom left.

Well, Kyurem was never explicitly said to be in 'pain', right? (Wasn’t a member of the fandom at that time, so I haven’t followed the BW/BW2 storylines very closely) But Necrozma was said to be in pain without Solgaleo/Lunala. That automatically makes Necrozma's story more tragic for me compared to Kyurem. Necrozma was just looking for light to become whole and pain-free again.

Did kyurem even have a backstory? It didn't seem like it had much feelings at all, it really just felt like the empty husk that the lore makes it out to be.
It's backstory is tied to the feuding founders of Unova. Basically its the leftover of the Original Dragon after it split into Reshiram and Zekrom. Differing accounts but not entirely contradictory. The meteor in the original story that Juniper theorized to be a Dragon Stone could have also been the Kyurem's husk. Or perhaps it was a dragon stone when it fell from the sky from the original split, and it activated once it landed.

With that said, I don't see how Kyurem's story is tragic. It chose to split itself to be with its two trainers rather than choosing a side. Sure it's current existence is pretty sad but as @Mijzelffan stated its an empty husk devoid of anything to the point that it simply 'takes in' the desires of its trainer. When it merges with Reshiram or Zekrom (and presumably in the future it will be able to take on its complete form given what they did with Necrozma) the other dragons' consciousness isn't subsumed (N notes hearing his dragon's voice in Kyurem). It may even be the case that after a full fusion, it'll regain its true consciousness as the Original Dragon while maintaining its memories as the two separate dragons, Reshiram and Zekrom.

As far as I understand, Necrozma was being abused by a group of human(oid)s to the point of fragmenting its body. Neither Solgaleo or Lunaala are part of its body and it basically acts as a parasite leaching off of their light and essentially consumes them entirely in its Ultra Burst. There's no reason to think that Solgaleo or Lunaala's consciousness gets integrated into Necrozma in its full form (and it seems to be suggested otherwise).

So yeah, I think Necrozma's more tragic. It went from being the equivalent of a god to becoming a parasite because its power was abused by the Ultra Recon Squad's people. Another, completely independent Pokemon has to be lost for it to regain its true form. Kyurem on the other hand willingly chose to split its body into Truths and Ideals so it didn't have to choose a side between its two trainers and the 'empty husk' is just that. An empty husk that acts as a vessel for Reshiram and Zekrom to fill should they ever desire to become whole again (though I guess the irony is that since its still half-empty it can also be filled by the will of its trainer and thus the 'empty husk' can impose its trainer's will onto Reshiram and Zekrom when merged)

Kyurem was kind just there laying on it's back enjoying life and then Ghetsis had to come along and ruin everything. Now the poor thing is sitting in a Master Ball in my Pokemon bank.

Necrozma on the other hand, has a pretty tragic existence.

Neither really struck me as tragic when I played, but Necrozma's story is certainly pained.

A very powerful interdimensional being like Necrozma stricken with physical suffering and forced to leech off of a weaker Pokemon in order to retain its true, original form...it's sad. But also nice that USUM's villain isn't really of malicious intent at all, it's just trying to survive and retain itself.

I can't say I ever thought to compare these two, but it does make sense, given the incompleteness theme and all.

I voted Kyurem, though full disclaimer: I'm biased because one of my fanfics focuses on Kyurem's backstory and expands on it from what's there in the canon, and he's ended up as a tragic character who does indeed feel the full effects of being incomplete, isolated and banished from the rest of the world, etc.

Within the context of the two stories, Necrozma does come off as more tragic, even though I didn't really consider it as such when going through the storyline. Unlike Kyurem, Necrozma knows that it is incomplete, feels pain after its light had been taken away and has basically become a parasite, forced to feed off the light of other Pokemon in order to regain its true form. Kyurem was an empty shell, but it didn't seem to have any struggles or pain with its existence. I do think that Kyurem worked better in terms of adding into the fifth generation lore though. They did the same thing with Necrozma, but I think that Kyurem being connected to Reshiram and Zekrom felt a bit more natural than what they went with Necrozma.

Necrozma has a tragic backstory. Kyurem had a tragic experience during the course of the B2W2 games. Necrozma's existence is incomplete and it suffers in pain from that. Kyurem was captured and abused for Team Plasma's goals - I'm pretty sure the process of extracting the ice energy to freeze over an entire city must have been torturous for Kyurem. And then it was forced to fuse with a dragon that it didn't really cared about, and was forced to listen to orders to kill off a human kid that it never really had any grudge against.

Both had tragic stories, but that image of Kyurem just helplessly trapped in the Frigate left a lasting impression on me. And what's more, nobody on the ship was feeling remotely sorry for it, iirc.

When I saw Necrozma pathetically lying in its crater on Mt. Lanakila, it was the first time I genuinely felt sad for a Pokémon in the games. The contrast between the grandoise Ultra Necrozma and its true form stripped of power couldn't be bigger.

Last edited:
Kyurem was kind just there laying on it's back enjoying life and then Ghetsis had to come along and ruin everything. Now the poor thing is sitting in a Master Ball in my Pokemon bank.

Necrozma on the other hand, has a pretty tragic existence.

LMFAO and 2nd part NOPE

Kyreum, because at least Necrozma can go into its ultimate form plus the two "possessed" forms. Kyreum only has two fusion forms, and not even become the full dragon that it once was.
Also, imo being incomplete cannot be compared to the suffering of knowing that one is just a useless shell left behind after Reshiram and Zekrom left.

my thoughts exactly

Necrozma has a tragic backstory. Kyurem had a tragic experience during the course of the B2W2 games. Necrozma's existence is incomplete and it suffers in pain from that. Kyurem was captured and abused for Team Plasma's goals - I'm pretty sure the process of extracting the ice energy to freeze over an entire city must have been torturous for Kyurem. And then it was forced to fuse with a dragon that it didn't really cared about, and was forced to listen to orders to kill off a human kid that it never really had any grudge against.

Both had tragic stories, but that image of Kyurem just helplessly trapped in the Frigate left a lasting impression on me. And what's more, nobody on the ship was feeling remotely sorry for it, iirc.

thats true and why i picked kyurem

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom