• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who was your favorite Orange Islands Gym Leader?

Who was your favorite Orange Islands Gym Leader?

• Atsumi/Cissy

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Dan/Danny

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Ziggy/Rudy

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Ruriko/Luana

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yūji/Drake

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

MizuTaipu

Reaction score
Self-explanatory, I guess. I'm surprised we don't have a thread for this, since the Orange Islands were such a unique period in the Original Series.

For my choice I'm gonna have to go with Yūji since:
a) His Japanese voice is amazing.
b) His team is pretty interesting. A Metamon juxtaposed with a Kairyu. Awesome.

Cissy I guess. The two guys were just there to show, "OH HOW MUCH MISTYY LUUUUURVES ASH!" and Luana while funny wasn't anything too special.

Its sad how two Orange Gym leaders were basically there to propel a mishandled shipping subplot that would eventually be abandoned because Takeshi Shudo didn't care for romance in the series. As we can see now 10 years later, all this "OH LET'S HAVE MISTY FLIRT TO MAKE ASH JEALOUS!" went absolutely nowhere as shipping was abandoned in Johto and then Misty's character didn't last too much longer in the anime after that.

I don't remember who's who... but the lady that held Spit the Can challenge and Swimming challenge, and Ash used Lapras to skate on Ice Beam above the water.

Probably Rudy.I liked his character and way he utilized pokemon by adding music and dance into it.He was pretty talented gym leader and using same types as his opponents made battles more fair with no one in reality having type advantage.His crush on Misty ignoring Ash was interesting too,causing jealousy and anger with Ash wanting to be noticed which led to conflict and jaundice.

Not to mention he used Starmie,one of my favorite pokemon which was rather well trained.

Cissy I guess. The two guys were just there to show, "OH HOW MUCH MISTYY LUUUUURVES ASH!" and Luana while funny wasn't anything too special.

Adding little flirting and conflict never killed anyone.Because of little romance those episodes received that extra flavour imo which made them more fun.

Its sad how two Orange Gym leaders were basically there to propel a mishandled shipping subplot that would eventually be abandoned because Takeshi Shudo didn't care for romance in the series. As we can see now 10 years later, all this "OH LET'S HAVE MISTY FLIRT TO MAKE ASH JEALOUS!" went absolutely nowhere as shipping was abandoned in Johto and then Misty's character didn't last too much longer in the anime after that.

I dont want to go there,but it was never completely abandoned.After Shudo left other writers still showed signs of romantic affection Misty had(like in episode with Macy,or when nurse Joy got Ash compliment which caused jealousy).And that episode "A Date with Delcatty"where Misty refused to go on date because of there apparently being someone else gave ambiguous meaning too.
Btw Misty purpose wasnt to serve as shipping material.

I don't remember who's who... but the lady that held Spit the Can challenge and Swimming challenge, and Ash used Lapras to skate on Ice Beam above the water.

That was Cissy.

I liked all of them, but I think Rudy was my favorite. He was just really charming and not gonna lie, I loved his interactions with Misty. I liked Rudy a lot in his episode, so yeah, he's my favorite I guess. Though I like the other three too.

Cissy. She seemed like the only one that was actually...cool unlike the others.

Definitely Mr. Stardust(Ziggy). Dancing+Starmie+Pikachu getting beat up+Starmie+Dancing+David Bowie Reference=Awesome

i refuse to call him by his dub name, because it removes the reference.

I honestly do not remember Orange Islands that well, not even the gym leaders. I only remember one, and that is Cissy. From what I've read of the others, though, the one that interests me the most is Luana, because the anime actually thought of double battles way before Gamefreak ever did. I do remember the finale, though, probably because it was the first ever real battle against a pseudo legend, and it was epic. From the list, I may have to pick Drake, but only because I don't remember much of the others that well. Even though I call Orange the most imaginative arc, it just isn't that interesting to me.

Uh.....Let's see. The Orange Islands. Hmm. Okay, I'm going to have to go back an skim my brain. I think it's the first one that was cool. Yeah Cissy. She was the more serious one and had the best challenge. The other two boys were Misty distracted and the last one was just not for my enjoyment.

Drake. The phase of the battle when he called out his Dragonite and Ash countered with everything he had was epic.

Drake. The phase of the battle when he called out his Dragonite and Ash countered with everything he had was epic.

Exactly the others had challenge that weren't about battling which seems like a nice change of pace but is really just nonsense because it has little to no relevance on battling.

From what I can remember, all the Orange Island Gym Leaders were fairly bland characters, but Danny was my favourite.

Even though he annoyingly created "tension" in Ash and Misty's so-called relationship, it wasn't as blatant as with Rudy, and he seemed like a cool and mature enough guy. The Navel Island Gym had the most interesting tasks - I want to see a Gym challenge like that in the video games.

Back
Top Bottom