• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who Was Your First (Legitimate) Level 100 Pokémon?

Patrick Haines

Lone Scribe for the Lord of Time
Reaction score
Waaaaaaay back in the original RBY and GSC days, before I had ever heard of IVs and DVs (before even the advent of EVs), I thought being Level 100 meant a Pokémon couldn't be more powerful. Heck, I was so naíve, I thought Vitamins were pointless and I sold them because they were worth a lot of money. As such, all I ever did for my Kanto Pokémon was pump them full of Rare Candy using the Infinite Item glitch and laughed while I knocked around the Elite Four. This, however, wouldn't fly for Johto-native Pokémon, thus began the grind. Hours of Surfing around the Whirlpool Islands finally led to a....DRUM ROLL PLEASE....

LEVEL 100 AMPHAROS

Perhaps because of this, Ampharos is still one of my favorite Pokémon and I have long since learned of EVs and IVs and all that fun stuff, but it is still fun to reminisce about a simpler time. Also, I always wondered why that Ampharos had higher stats than my Rare Candy-induced 100s, but it wasn't until Emerald's Battle Frontier started kicking my butt that I investigated and discovered all the hidden mechanics. Ironically, shortly after that, I contracted Pokérus and the rest is history.

For me, it was Venusaur way back in my original Red version. My Pidgeot, Cloyster, and Scribbles the Rattata (yes, you just read that right, and I still remember his name to this day) all soon followed. Like you, back then I didn't understand the whole EV/IV thing one bit, just thinking Level 100 meant you were unbeatable. I was also very haphazard with TMs back then, too, so that made me very wasteful (Scribbles, for example, wielded Dig, Bubblebeam, and Thunderbolt... and he was a killing machine to boot). I also exploited the infinite item glitch with Master Balls and Rare Candies (hey, I had to get Dragonite somehow, and didn't even know what "grinding" meant in games). But Venusaur was my first Lv100 Mon, and I did it WITHOUT the infinite Rare Candies (by the time I learned of the glitch, he was already Lv95 due to multiple E4 whoopings, so it would've been pointless anyway). So, yeah, Red provided me with my first four Mons that reached Lv100, because back then I was a naive gamer who didn't know what he was doing but did it anyway.

It was Swampert in Sapphire.

Raising him from Level 5 to 100, I couldn't be more proud.

I think mine was Empoleon.
If not, it would've been Staraptor.

I have not managed to get a Lv100 Pokemon before Gen VI, I don't know if I don't play enough or what.

My first one was an event Deoxys in B2W2, which was a bit anticlimatic. The first one was my starter Greninja in X, which reached that level like 3 or 4 months after buying the game.

I'm not entirely positive, but I think it was my Typhlosion from Pokémon Gold.

It was Nidoking way back in Yellow. A combination of swapping a Pokemon out of battle into a stronger one for it to get exp, and not having many games to play back in those days went on to lead to a lot of rebattling the Elite 4. Just kept using Nidoking to roll through continuous rematches until it was level 100.

The latest Pokemon I've gotten to Lv 100 would have to be my Nidoqueen in Pokemon Red... although I'm not sure if using experience underflow counts.

My Charizard from FireRed. He traveled to every region after that and I didn't actually get him to 100 until X, I believe.

I've only taken the time to do that with 2 other Pokemon: my Butterfree from the same FR file, and my Torterra from my initial Pearl run.

Probably my very first Charizard. I don't honestly know. I can't remember anything about my first playthrough of Blue version and I can't exactly say with confidence the memories I do have are accurate. Maybe I raised a Blastoise like my brother and cousin told me to despite the fact I remember only liking Charmander's line as a kid.

All I know is that my first level 100 was definitely whatever starter I had.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom