• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who were the "Sinnoh people" and why does this mean so much to Volo?

staff reminder! 09/20/23
Just a lil staff reminder to keep discussion respectful and on-topic please!

While the discussion held in this thread is super interesting from a fictional worldbuilding perspective, it's good to remember that quite a bit of what's being discussed here focuses on an entire real-life culture of people — a culture that's, no doubt, something not many of us, if any of us at all, are extremely versed with or familiar with.

As such, let's try to be conscientious of that fact and keep things focused on the characters of Legends: Arceus themselves!! Nobody's in trouble, this is just a reminder~

thanks!

We...were though...We weren't trashing anyone, just saying that these fictional cultures are only roughly inspired by real ones, and that historical events only bear a resemblance to real ones and aren't the same as in our world. That's all that was going on here. Did you see anything else?

On the one hand, the Celestica people being gone is consistent with the Sinjoh Ruins event (and Sinnoh only having Cynthia and her grandmother as lore experts, and pretty limited ones at that). On the other hand, it also allowed Game Freak not to delve into colonization or pass any critique on Japan.

It's also not meant to be an exact one to one though too. It's meant to more of be inspired by real events, not represent them directly.

God this is just gonna get so much worse if they do a Unova game because Unovan history is absolutely nothing like real American history and people will still expect it must be and insist on affixing real world baggage to it.
Which is just another reason why they should use Johto instead. They are not going to explore America's past even slightly, so why create that expectation? Not to mention that Reshiram and Zekrom are supposed to have been dormant for 2500 years, and I don't see them going that far into the past while making another Pokedex quest seem plausible.

Last edited:
I feel like that expectation would only exist in the mind of the fans though, since BW itself established that Unovan history has nothing to do with actual east coast American history other than perhaps "there was a war in 1812" (Victini's war was said to be 200 years ago and the game was in 2012). Everything else is entirely new and any resemblance to real history is simply nonexistent. So if people really expect a Unova Legends game to address real events then that's on them for not paying attention.

We...were though...We weren't trashing anyone, just saying that these fictional cultures are only roughly inspired by real ones [...]
No worries!! Again, this wasn't directed at anyone in particular, and was just a small reminder to not veer too much off topic! I think that it'll all be just fine though right?

At any rate, who the Sinnoh People may be have been well-discussed here, but honestly I kind of want to hear more about why they're so important to Volo? That part of the thread hasn't been examined too much from what I've seen!

Yeah it's an odd thing. He's connected to them but according to his own mentor, the source of most of his information, they haven't been around in any real numbers in Hisui for a thousand years.

Lol, what gave it away that the Sinnoh People aren't supposed to look 1:1 to the Ainu, the fact that Lian wears an American Stetson perhaps? :ROFLMAO:

I could be wrong, but the vast majority of Pokémon characters almost always, visually, seem like Western characters to me, regardless of the setting. The same can be said of the characters of many Japanese animes.

In short, the producers often seem more concerned with selling the game to the West than with the visual identity of the characters.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but the vast majority of Pokémon characters almost always, visually, seemed like Western characters to me, regardless of the setting. The same can be said of the characters of many Japanese animes.

In short, the producers always seemed more concerned with selling the game to the West than with the visual identity of the characters.
I believe that trope in Japanese fiction is called "Mukokuseki" (無国籍).

Please note: The thread is from 6 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom