• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who Will Be Ash's Main Rival in XY?

Since they're going with a "Friendship! ... is magic" theme in the games with regards to rivals, maybe there won't be one this time.

Or maybe the Mega-Blaziken will be his rival. That would be badass.

Why they can't make Ash and his rival on the same plane I have no idea. Why does Ash have to look like an absolute moron until the league(although in Trip's case, he looked like a moron there too).

Hopefully he gets a friendly female as the main rival.

Why they can't make Ash and his rival on the same plane I have no idea. Why does Ash have to look like an absolute moron until the league(although in Trip's case, he looked like a moron there too).

The friendly ones usually get thrown under the bus or ignored in certain aspects. I just hope his rival is a girl and she gets cocky in her battles. I want a strong female battler that can go toe to toe with the boys for a change. Katie is similar to what I'm talking about and she is still talked about today.

I agree he should have a female main rival but they shouldn't be too friendly and should consistently carry themselves like they want to be the best.

The friendly ones usually get thrown under the bus or ignored in certain aspects. I just hope his rival is a girl and she gets cocky in her battles. I want a strong female battler that can go toe to toe with the boys for a change. Katie is similar to what I'm talking about and she is still talked about today.

Aside from Cynthia it's a shame that there are no strong battle orientated females that were recurring characters.

I think the potential candidate for cocky female rival aka Serena is almost confirmed to be a travelling partner, and Shauna doesn't fit the ball either, so I am guessing we won't have a cocky female rival.

I predict that the guy with the Mega Blaziken is a rival, but a rival who is more like Virgil or Tobias. He's going to be a hard to win against and probably inspire Ash throughout the saga. But I guess people have said that already.

(This post is redundant I guess....)

I agree he should have a female main rival but they shouldn't be too friendly and should consistently carry themselves like they want to be the best.

Aside from Cynthia it's a shame that there are no strong battle orientated females that were recurring characters.

By friendly I mean like a Stephan type girl. They are rivals but still friendly. I'm tired of all the prick rivals.

By friendly I mean like a Stephan type girl. They are rivals but still friendly. I'm tired of all the prick rivals.

A girl who has more muscles than Ash? Yes, I'm all in for that. She should perhaps be shy and punch Ash everytime he appreciates her way of battling or her Pokemon. That is a good running gag isn't it? Could work perfectly.

A girl who has more muscles than Ash? Yes, I'm all in for that. She should perhaps be shy and punch Ash everytime he appreciates her way of battling or her Pokemon. That is a good running gag isn't it? Could work perfectly.

Oy, way to take it literally -_-...I mean they are friendly but they still have the rivalry to want to best each other. Think Morrison an Ash but replace him with a girl.

Oy, way to take it literally -_-...I mean they are friendly but they still have the rivalry to want to best each other. Think Morrison an Ash but replace him with a girl.

Still the same. LOL. But seriously, that doesn't work with a girl IMO. Both Morrison's and Ash's rivalry is about Kiai and Konjo. They keep using those terms throughout. They even get physical about it. Doesn't look so good with a girl...but it could potentially be amusing.

Wait I understood your point tad too late. Ah, yes they could be friendly and be rivals. But Ash and Morrison get fired up because they always try to best each other in terms of everything. I am not sure how he could work it out with a female rival. I am not denying the possiblity altogehter, but I think it will be pale when compared to other rivalries.

Technically the prick to friend rival ratio is 3:9. If anything statistically we need more prick rivals. We just need ones who actually lose to Ash more often.

Technically the prick to friend rival ratio is 3:9. If anything statistically we need more prick rivals. We just need ones who actually lose to Ash more often.

Not counting league only rivals, it's much more balanced lol.

Not counting league only rivals, it's much more balanced lol.

Lets see Gary, Paul and Trip compared to Nando, Barry, Bianca, Stephan.

Regardless outside of the rival battles with Ash the main rivals are almost never around more so for Gary and Trip. With Paul he basically vanished for the final half of DP. I mean Bianca and Stephan were around much more often then Trip was in the BW tournaments and Barry showed up left and right as Paul's non rival battle appearances diminished.

In XY I'd rather we just have 1 friendly female main rival so her screen time isn't diminished because she has to share screen time wit the other rivals.

All I want from the rival is he or she should have as much experience as Ash. Even with Ash's skill reset in BW, being behind Trip just didn't seem right. Paul having gone through the same regions as Ash was one of the things that made him a great match for Ash.

All I want from the rival is he or she should have as much experience as Ash. Even with Ash's skill reset in BW, being behind Trip just didn't seem right. Paul having gone through the same regions as Ash was one of the things that made him a great match for Ash.

The real problem was how Ash's brain seemed to be reset as well usually it was just his skills but BW went to the extreme with the nerfing.

Personally after Gary Ash should have been on even fields with his later rivals outside of just conveniently being better then them at the league.

The opening footage which is now up shows Ash battling with Pikachu against a dark-skinned guy with a Pangoro and a Honedge. The guy is only seen for a split second. There's of course no guarantee he will play any role in XY at all and he might just be some random guy who only appears in the opening, but I wonder why they would design a character who only appears for a split second in the opening. It's also possible he's based off an as of yet unseen Trainer Class in the XY games.

He may have some role, who knows, perhaps even a rival of this saga. Here's an image of the guy, taken directly from the opening footage (click to enlarge, low quality however):

Last edited:
The opening footage which is now up shows Ash battling with Pikachu against a dark-skinned guy with a Pangoro and a Honedge. The guy is only seen for a split second. There's of course no guarantee he will play any role in XY at all and he might just be some random guy who only appears in the opening, but I wonder why they would design a character who only appears for a split second in the opening. It's also possible he's based off an as of yet unseen Trainer Class in the XY games.

He may have some role, who knows, perhaps even a rival of this saga. Here's an image of the guy, taken directly from the opening footage (click to enlarge, low quality however):

I hope you are right. He has good pokes.

eh... looks boring.

I'm actually kinda leaning towards there not being a main rival for Ash this time around. Paul and Trip were both introduced prior to the series starting, and if I memory serves it was at least a month beforehand. Seeing as we haven't heard a single word about a rival for Ash, I'm not sure I see him getting one, unfortunately.

I doubt they'd make a character that got a very weak and unclear glimpse in the opening a rival, besides, I want the main rival to be female this time around. I was desperately hoping for the rival to be Serena, but obviously that's not the case.

A female main rival would be great to see, a great change from the last two main ones being male. They might just not have a rival for most of the series, and have a league one only. Though I'd prefer he'd have a main rival as a female, and a second one be male.

Serena being a rival as well as a companion would be a nice change, though I think she's more likely to only be a companion at this point.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom