• With COPPA coming into full effect, the comments section and notifications for our YouTube videos are disabled. Not to worry, though, you can keep up with the latest episodes for all our ongoing series and provide your comments in the Bulbasocial section here.

Who Will You Play as in Mystery Dungeon: DX?

Spiky Electrifying Doggo
Reaction score

Look how fuzzy they are

Like previous mystery dungeon games, DX starts with a personality quiz that assigns you one of the several starter options and then you get to choose your partner from the types remaining. However like Super, DX allows you to pick a different starter Pokémon if that was not the Pokémon you wanted.

So what Pokémon are you planning on choosing as your character and partner? And if you’ve played the demo, which Pokémon were you originally assigned?

Personally for me, I’m torn between choosing Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Eevee, Meowth, and Chikorita as my character. I’ll see if the quiz selects one of those for me (based on my results of online versions of those quizzes, I wouldn’t be surprised if I got Chikorita or Cyndaquil) but I’ll have to see. As for my partner, if I pick Meowth, Cyndaquil, or Eevee as my character, I’ll pick Bulbasaur for my partner. If I go with Bulbasaur as my character, I’ll choose Totodile. If I go with Chikorita, I’ll choose either Totodile or Eevee.

The Eeveelution who says "Rawr!"
Reaction score
I'm not buying the game, but I think I would want be Charmander, with probably Eevee or Skitty as my partner, depending on the gender I'd choose for them.

Aqua Ninja Frog
Reaction score

It's a tradition for me to use Mudkip as my character. As for partners, I'm considering Cubone or Treecko.
I would say go for Treecko so that you don't have two that are weak to Grass. Treecko resists both of Mudkip's weaknesses. Mudkip covers Treecko's Poison, Fire, and Ice type weaknesses.

Uncertainty
Reaction score
I've never played any Mystery Dungeon game and don't own a Switch, but I'd pick Cubone with Chikorita as the partner.

At least you tried...
Reaction score
I haven't tried the demo yet, but when I played the original the quiz gave me Machop. I chose Pikachu as a partner so I'd have a "room clearing" move with Thunderbolt.

This time I'm going to be Meowth
That's right!
and probably choose Totodile as partner but I'm not certain about that part yet. I might go with Treecko instead.

Update: Started demo, went with a female Treecko named Janine. My brother then pointed out I should name the hero James, and so I did.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not sure if I should use Squirtle again, or do it this time with Eevee.

Reaction score
My very first team in Blue Rescue Team was Charmander + Chikorita, so I might either go for that again for the sake of nostalgia, or Meowth + Treecko/Squirtle. I've also never played as Cubone so far... But then again, I know I'm going to replay this many times, so I'll be able to use all my combinations sooner or later.

Troop Leader
Reaction score
I generally relied on the quiz to pick for me. If I had to choose, I'd likely go for one of the Hoenn starters or Chikorita.

Reaction score
I Didn't like what the Quiz gave me; and I was THANKFUL that I was free to choose whichever Pokemon I Felt like choosing; instead of being locked into one Pokemon that ISN'T the one I wanted;

I Choose Squirtle as my Main; and Torchic as my trusty Sidekick

Reaction score
Meowth for me. Not only does the Pickup ability come in handy, but Pay Day gives me more currency to work with which is always something I aim for in video games.