• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who Will You Play as in Mystery Dungeon: DX?

So I finally decided to download the demo this morning. On my main profile, I got the Docile personality type on the quiz and was assigned Chikorita. As my partner, I chose Totodile.
On my secondary profile (there for Shield related reasons), I got the Timid personality type and was assigned Cyndaquil. I chose Bulbasaur as my partner.
I love them both! ^ ^

If I get the game, Bulbasaur for me, Skitty as my partner (if possible). Powder moves are highly useful in mystery dungeon, and I believe Double-Slap had a chance of hitting 2 to 5 attacks at full tackle power, which made it super OP in the original mystery dungeon.

Torchic or Cyndaquil is a close second because walking on lava is highly useful in dungeons.

if I decide to get the game, most likely I will intentionally try to get Cubone. It’s probably the best Ground mon in this game because of how Earthquake works in PMD and it has it’s own Ground attacks in the bone moves.

As for partner, spent a while thinking what could counter it’s weaknesses, but most likely I will go for Pikachu to hit Flyers and maybe for Agility shenanigans.

I picked Skitty because it was my favorite when I was a little girl. It is both cute and nostalgic! :bulbaLove:

I picked a female Cubone as my partner because it has an interesting backstory with its mother being dead. My headcanon is that Kangaskhan is Cubone's adoptive mother and that is where the partner sleeps since the partner never sleeps inside of the house together with the player. Maybe that is why Kangaskhan pretends to be asleep and still stores your items the morning before the protagonists are forced to flee? :giggle:

Too bad that the partner's personality still doesn't change depending on which Pokémon you pick...

Last edited:
Eevee is my personal pick as who to play as, but I'll be happy with Meowth or Psyduck too. As for my partner, if I don't get Eevee, Meowth, or Psyduck, then I'll choose one of them as my partner (probably whoever meshes best with what I get on the test). If I do get one of those three, then probably Bulbasaur or Cyndaquil.

I chose Psyduck to celebrate its return in SwSh. Funnily enough. I got Sassy as my nature, which was my nature in PMD 2. I guess that means I'm a Sassy person in real life.

Eevee as partner.

The lines do change a bit if I recall correctly, but they should have done more.
Yeah, in the older games (and the remake?) Totodile uses more slang but I don't know about the other Pokémon? :unsure:
It's the water starters (in Blue Rescue Team) that say stuff differently. I've never played Red Rescue Team, but I'd assume it's the same with fire starters there?

I don't think so, considering both games have the exact same dialogue. I guess I'll have some testing to do soon.
Oh, interesting, I didn't know that. Looks like it's only the water 'mons that got special treatment, then. But I remember this very clearly because Squirtle was my partner during quite a few playthroughs, I think it's a nice little touch (although, of course, it would've been better if there were even more variations).

@SlowGinFizzzz Here are partial intros with all the different partners. Note: the protagonist's dialogue doesn't seem to change no matter what Pokémon you choose, so I'll use placeholders there.

Protagonist: Where am I? Am I dreaming this? I feel a pleasant breeze. ...I hear a voice from somewhere... I wonder who it is?
Partner: ...Excuse me.
Partner: ...Please, wake up. Come on, wake up.
Partner: You're finally awake! Great!
Protagonist: (Wh-where is this...?)
Partner: You were passed out here. I'm glad to see you awake!
Partner: I'm Partner. Glad to meet you!
Partner: ...And, you are? I've never seen you around before.
Partner: Huh? You're a human?
Partner: But you look like a normal Pokémon in every way.
Protagonist: (It... It's true...)
Protagonist: (I have turned into a Pokémon!)
Protagonist: (But why? I don't remember anything...)
Partner: Um... You're kind of weird...
Partner: Your name? What's your name?
Protagonist: (My name...? That's right, my name is...)
Partner: Oh. Protagonist's your name? Well...
Partner: It's a funny name!

Protagonist: Where am I? Am I dreaming this? I feel a pleasant breeze. ...I hear a voice from somewhere... I wonder who it is?
Partner: ...Hey.
Partner: ...Hey, wake up. Wake up already.
Partner: Oh, good! You finally came to!
Partner: You were passed out here. I'm glad you woke up!
Partner: I'm Partner. Glad to meet you!
Partner: ...So, who might you be? I don't think I've seen your face around here.
Partner: Hah? You say you're a human?
Partner: But any which way I look at you, you're a normal Pokémon.
Protagonist: (...But why? I don't remember anything...)
Partner: You're... Some kind of weird.
Partner: So, what's your name? What do you call yourself?
Partner: Uh-huh... Protagonist. That's...
Partner: A funny name!

Partner: ...Excuse me.
Partner: ...Please, wake up. Come on, wake up.
Partner: You're finally awake! Great!
Partner: I found you passed out here. I'm glad you came to!
Partner: I'm Partner. Happy to meet you!
Partner: ...And, you are? I've never seen you around before.
Partner: Huh? Did you say human?
Partner: But you look like a normal Pokémon from every angle?
Protagonist: (But why? I don't remember anything...)
Partner: Um... You're kind of weird...
Partner: Your name? What's your name?
Partner: OK. You're named Protagonist? Well...
Partner: Isn't it a funny name!

So, there are... less variations than I expected. Or at least they are not as well distributed as I would have wanted since there are 10 partners and 3 variations.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom