• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who would have made a better champion in XY

Magmaster12

Reaction score
There's no denying the Diantha is one of the worst champions we've had so far due to have little to no role in the games plot of a personality.

After completing the Looker side plot I think the best champion would have been Malva, she's by far the most developed character, makes far more appearances then Diantha and has an overall larger role and is even linked with Team Flare, that's a lot better then bland fashion model Diantha.

With Diantha having little role in this game like other champions did, I think it would have been best to have the champion someone who we didn't see at all. A surprise would have been nice.

I actually would've preferred the Champion to be Professor Sycamore or AZ. Diantha was ok, but her lack of screen time and the fact that she barely showed her personality is very embarrassing. Or maybe even a throwback to Gen 3 and Norman with having your previously unknown father be the Champion. One's gotta wonder... Where are all the dads?!

While I personally didn't think Diantha was a bad Champion, despite her minor/near nonexistent role, there are other characters I think could have been better Champions.

Shauna- Hear me out: most people, myself included, and even Shuana herself, say she's just goofing around on this journey. And she really is. Well remember right after that she says "Just kidding"? It felt strange to me for her to say that, giving me the idea she was actually training. This was made evident when it was shown she had the Pseudo-legendary Goodra on her team. But wouldn't it have been better if she was the Champion? If behind all that goofing around, Shauna had actually been getting stronger and surprised the crap out of everyone with a badass Champion team? It certainly would have helped her character a bit, if you ask me.

Calem/Serena- These guys were the most serious rivals we've had so far, why haven't they ascended into the Champion spot? We already know their parents are really good trainers, it only makes sense that they should surpass them and become Champion, especially seeing how they were also challenging Gyms. In addition, with all the throwbacks to Gen I, I'm sort of confused as to why they weren't the Champion.

Sycamore- I was disappointed with him. They said we'd battle him from time to time on the official site. Twice isn't what I'd call "from time to time". If he'd battled us on more occasions, similar to a rival, I could have seen him as being the Champion in secret, being the reason for testing you occasionally.

Lysandre- Similar to N, it could have shown how serious he was about his goals. To get everyone who opposes him out of the way so he can easily go about his plan to destroy the world, including the Champion.

No one. I think Diantha is a great Champion and her lack of appearances was part of a much bigger, general problem with the overall characterization in XY. Personality is subjective. She's my second favorite Champion and I find her to be way more inspiring and interesting than most of them before her.

I like the idea of Malva being the Champion. A Champion actually being in leagues with Team Flare could have been interesting, she does have more personality and losing to the player as both a member of Team Flare and as the Champion could have led to actual development for her. She already feels like wasted potential in the games for being introduced as a former Team Flare member, so making her the Champion could have really help to make the storyline and by extension Team Flare more interesting. Professor Sycamore would have been a good choice too. Having him battle the player throughout the game a bit more as a means to test their progress and then going all out as the Champion would have been good. Diantha was a pretty boring Champion. She rarely appeared, didn't have much personality and I honestly thought that Diantha being the Champion being a big surprise didn't make much sense in-universe. She's a famous movie star, so it should be common knowledge that she's also the Champion.

I do miss the days where the Champions were actually involved in the storyline of the game. Sure, it could make it more obvious that they're the Champions and thus reduce the surprise factor when we get to them, but I'd be fine with that so that the Champions are more memorable characters and possibly have some interesting bits of personality than if they try so hard to make it a surprise.

Malva sounds interesting but she seems more fit for an E4 spy for Team Flare - someone who can keep an eye on the Champion and restrict their movements. Also, she's probably got her hands full collecting information and giving them to Lysandre.

I'd say Sycamore would have been a much better choice for the champion.

I don't really care who the champion is, i'd just prefer not to one shot her whole team. She was so easy! This is what passes for champ in the kalos area? Normally on my first battle with the champ i at least have to use a few healing items on my team, not Diantha.

I actually didn't mind having Diantha as the champion at all either. Although, some of her Pokemon's levels could have been raised a notch, there were a couple of difficult moments - like her Mega-Gardevoir. It would be good if the expanded/third version has more insight in her backstory.

If I was to give an alternate choice, it would be Calem/Serena. That would have been a nice end to a journey of friendship. (Either that, or have the 20th/50th Multi-Battle to be always with Calem/Serena.)

i didn't really have a problem with Diantha being the champion. Her team wasn't bad; it was just "Exp. All" made so I was 10 levels above her. In every other Pokemon generation, I have always been 5 levels under the champion when facing them so I assume she would have been sufficiently tough if that was the case.

I think Diantha as a Champion was a good idea. It's just how they carried her out-that was problematic. I felt that she should have appeared much more often, especially given her apparent status as pop icon/celebrity. She also should have been involved in the plot with Team Flare. You are the Champion of your region, and said region's human population will potentially cease to exist...uh, where are you?!

Additionally, her team was very bad. They all shared multiple weaknesses, and the move sets could have been much better. Additionally, I think they all should have been fully IV'd Pokemon as Cynthia's were. And I understand that we are in Kalos, so a Champion using all Kalos/Kalos-related (Mega Evolutions) Pokemon is fitting, but half her team are Kalos Gym Leader signature Pokemon. I would have no problem with her using a few of the abundance of Gen 1-5 Pokemon that are available in Kalos. That way, she can have a stronger, more diverse party.

I think if we have a third version or a sequel like BW2, if they correct these shortcomings, she will be a very respectful Champion.

I don't really see anyone else being a Champion. Your rival would make a practical choice, but then the cycle of continuously upstaging them, despite their Pokemon battling background, would only continue. And imagine how depressed they would be to have the Championship taken from them...by you...in a battle...again. Blue/Green totally deserved in Gen 1/3 because he was jerk, but not Calem/Serena.
I guess Malva would make a good choice. Team Flare former baddy even stronger than Team Flare's leader, as Champion of Kalos. Plus we would have another female Champion, which is always nice. But her mono-type team of Fire Pokemon wouldn't be very impressive or formidable. So I think I will stick to re-vamped (hopefully) Diantha.

I'm sure had not being for "Exp. All" many wouldn't be talking about Diantha's party being weak, cuz they weren't. Then again, while I never used "Exp. All" I cheesed the hell out of the Battle Chateau so I was reaping Grand Duchess benefits long before I chose to bother with the league with my party ranging out from 80-72 respectively because I could.

The only problem I had with Diantha was her lack of appearances and not being proactive during Kalos' "crisis" then again, almost everyone was and my four "friends" end up netting the titles of "Defenders" when none of them diddly squat, so hey.

I'd have rather her had Red/Emerald Steven (but being battled more than once) status and let Malva be the Champ myself. Would've been interesting.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom