• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who would you like to see direct a Pokemon movie?

Nomekop Oen

Mewtwo Disciple
Reaction score
Even though Kunihiko Yuyama is probably set for life as the director for all of the Pokemon movies,let's say he wasn't available to direct and you had to pick someone to takeover the project.

Now there are probably some obvious choices out there *cough*Miyazaki*cough*,but I'll start off with a lesser known director.

Anyway,I'd REALLY like to see Kazuyoshi Katayama (Director of Big O) direct a Pokemon movie.Now regardless of whether or not you liked Big O,I think anyone can appriciate just how visually stunning Big O was.Personally,I think it's the best directed anime I've ever seen.

Any other suggestions?

That seems like a pretty good choice.Don't know why anybody would shoot you over it. Oo; There's certainly directors out there that just plain suck.

Director of "Soultaker" for example. -_-;

Last edited:
Satoshi Kon!!! That would be awesome. Also Kunihiko Ikuhara (sp?), the guy who did SM S and Utena, would be cool

Someone has to say it- Steven Spielberg.

Terak Nor said:
Quentin Tarantino too but we all know where that will go :D

The last thing the pokemon world needs, Pikachu w/ a SMG, Cigar in his mouth, I can see it now.

Horror movies are my thing, Lets get Wes Craven into the mix.

I don't think direction is so much a problem as the story and screenwriting...

Although, this movie 8, well, it seemed acceptable. I actually feel like I want to watch again. (Whereas with 7, I still haven't watched it through again a second time for just that reason...)

Quentin Tarantino direction + Gym Leader movie = win for Oos. XD *wishful*

Miyazaki's obvious, and I'd like to see it, if only so that the newspapers will have to give a pokemon movie a good review...

I'd also like to see Chiaki Konaka do it, because I've always wanted to see a dark, semi-lovecraftian take on pokemon. ^_^

(Yes, this in spite of the fact that I've disliked most of his other works. And have a bitter loathing for one of them. Call of Dagomon was good, at least.)

Zhen Lin said:
I don't think direction is so much a problem as the story and screenwriting...

Funny you mention that because Kazuyoshi Katayama is credited with director,screenplay,storyboard,and series supervisor for Big O.So the man definitely has a lot to offer.Also,while as over at ANN it turns out he was the assistant director for Nausicaä.

And even though a Director obviously works with everybody that's involved in a certain project,the Director is arguably the most important part when making a movie/series.Basically,the director is the one who will try to visualize how the story should look like on the screen.So even if someone writes an amazing detailed story for a Pokemon movie,it's the Director who ultimately decides what does or doesn't work for the film.

I think Kunihiko Yuyama has done an okay job so far.I think Revelation Lugia,Guardian Gods of the Water Capital - Latias and Latios,and The Wishing Star of Seven Nights have been his best work IMO.

Mosaic said:
You're just talking about the first season right? *cough*

No way.I was impressed with Big O all the way up to the last episode of Season 2.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom