• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who's going to distribute the 2019 new series from the Pokémon main TV anime outside of Japan for the English dub release: Disney XD or Netflix?

Who's available to originally distribute the Pokémon 2019 new anime series outside of Japan?

• Total voters
I have deleted the earlier, ultra-controversial post for upsetting everybody and offending every fanbase on the planet, and I apologize for my rudeness and offending you guys.

I'm not surprised Disney choose to give up streaming rights, that money is probably going to one of Disney+'s original productions.

It could go to Netflix, as TPCi actually encourages streaming (Pokemon TV, enough said, and like 80% of the episodes from seasons 19-21 premiered first through streaming platforms first If I recall correctly) and Netflix needs strong animation and family cards to counter Disney+. Hopefully they'll premiere globally, and in batches of 6-10 episodes. But of course, we only have one movie to start speculating so it's better to wait.

I’d love to know how it is that Pokémon is possibly the biggest multimedia franchise in the world and yet they still haven’t gotten to legal streaming of the sub while everyone and their grandmother has.

TPCi doesn't even bother to purchase majority of the original BGM for their localization, let alone the Japanese track. The only reason Movie 22 kept in the original BGM was because Ed Goldfarb had gone away on a trip to Japan and was unable to compose new tracks in time.

If I had to be honest, Pokémon likely doesn't see enough demand for subtitled episodes to be offered internaionally, and I think that's accurate. Unlike Yu-Gi-Oh!, which has vast differences between subtitled and localized versions, Pokémon is essentially the same product after localization, only with replaced music tracks and the addition of more comedic lines.

Yeah, a few scenes have been edited or removed in the Sun & Moon localization, one episode was even left on the cutting floor, but it's really not enough to justify producing subtitles episodes. It's a niche that isn't even large enough to be noticed. Anything is possible, but I don't see this happening personally.

The Anime Expo screening of Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution last July made it crystal clear that the whole "there's not enough demand for the sub" narrative just isn't true.

My general assumption for that screening has been that the localization wasn't finished in time for Anime Expo and a subtitled version, 4Kids dubisms and all, was hastily put together exclusively for the convention. Outside of this showing, there was never additional showings or digital versions for sale. There's still the chance that Netflix could offer it as an additional language next month, but I would argue that if the subtitled version remains absent from that and later Blu-ray and DVD releases by Viz Media, it was a venture that TPCi scrapped for unknown reasons or had no intention of exploring at all outside of Anime Expo.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that such a Netflix deal likely wouldn't apply just for the US, but also all of the other channels airing Pokémon around the world. There are far more parties involved at the negotiating table than just the English dub and Disney XD.

M22 seems more like an exception, since Netflix even got Asian distribution rights (outside Japan/Korea), which TPCi normally doesn't handle. It's just better than Fathom at doing a "global simultaneous launch" because it has better reach in more countries. But to keep the series in the public consciousness, it'd be better to have it airing year-round than to drop a batch of episodes every now and then.

I've been watching a bit more Disney XD live today. I've been usually watching shows On Demand, especially with series that I'm behind on, but I've seen them air a promo for the new episode airing next Saturday. It is the same one they used from the start of the current Ultra Adventures series as opposed to a specific episode promo, but that is more than the Anime Block promo I usually see when watching one of the dub episodes On Demand.

I bring this up because I feel like this is a big reason why I can't see the series moving from Disney XD. Why would they bother to keep promoting the series if they're only going to have it for a couple of more months? When the series moved to Disney XD, it wasn't really a surprise because the writing was on the wall. Cartoon Network kept it on a early Saturday morning deathslot with no reruns and I don't think that they aired a generic season promo after the XYZ season started. Cartoon Network had long since checked out when it came to Pokemon, while Disney XD seems to be interested enough to keep promoting it. Netflix getting to premiere the next movie is still a strange decision and a possible red flag, but it might not mean much of anything in the long run as far as the dub is concerned.

My general assumption for that screening has been that the localization wasn't finished in time for Anime Expo and a subtitled version, 4Kids dubisms and all, was hastily put together exclusively for the convention. Outside of this showing, there was never additional showings or digital versions for sale. There's still the chance that Netflix could offer it as an additional language next month, but I would argue that if the subtitled version remains absent from that and later Blu-ray and DVD releases by Viz Media, it was a venture that TPCi scrapped for unknown reasons or had no intention of exploring at all outside of Anime Expo.

OK, sure. But that's not my point at all. Hastily thrown together or not, the fact remains that tickets to a Japanese language showing of a Pokémon film, in the U.S., sold out within half an hour and the theater space was reportedly packed with about 2,800 fans. Nothing about that screams "there's no demand for the Japanese version outside Japan."

Now I don't know why TPCI is willfully ignoring the not-at-all-insignificant demand and choosing to only ever release the English dub edited-for-TV version like it's still the 90s or something. They're just going to keep doing things the way they've been doing, data be damned.

Okay, probably gonna have to come back to eat my words after saying this but I'm apparently *the* dub guy so I'll say it.

It is very unlikely that Pokemon is moving from Disney XD to Netflix permanently, at least, not in 2020. I stand by the notion that M22 is an outlier because the meme is Netflix is a CG dumping ground.

1: We know from narrator Rodger Parsons that S23 had started recording in mid-November, which is when normal seasons already start production already. The first 2 episodes of S23 don't go to Galar, and preview episodes are made to promote the new games, so why dub them early?

2: Pokemon's press release for M22 says "Netflix is the ideal platform to help us execute a global simultaneous launch of an animated Pokémon movie on Pokémon Day". Note the word 'simultaneous' here. Netflix hosts all dubs under TPCi (excluding Vietnam, Indonesia, and the Phillipines), so this is the best way to simulcast all of them at once.

3. Looking at previous seasons like S21 and S22, we know that TPCi likes waiting 1) after the season ends and 2) really really close to the day of premiere. S22 ends on March 7th, so we still have some time to go

Also, this may change but I'm pretty sure Disney+ is just for properties owned by Disney. Hulu is also owned by Disney though, that might be a better contender.

OK, sure. But that's not my point at all. Hastily thrown together or not, the fact remains that tickets to a Japanese language showing of a Pokémon film, in the U.S., sold out within half an hour and the theater space was reportedly packed with about 2,800 fans. Nothing about that screams "there's no demand for the Japanese version outside Japan."

Now I don't know why TPCI is willfully ignoring the not-at-all-insignificant demand and choosing to only ever release the English dub edited-for-TV version like it's still the 90s or something. They're just going to keep doing things the way they've been doing, data be damned.
But wasn’t that the first (and so far only) showing of M21 in the west? I’m not sure on that fact so correct me if I’m wrong, but being the first only official showing of the movie is a huge factor involved.

what about south america? in there, sm airs on cartoon network, but not dxd, and it makes me wonder if cn will air the 2019 anime. any thoughts?

PkmnTrainerV said:
But wasn’t that the first (and so far only) showing of M21 in the west? I’m not sure on that fact so correct me if I’m wrong, but being the first only official showing of the movie is a huge factor involved.

It was the first time, yes. But the movie being a remake of a film that 100% of the audience had already seen in English multiple times when they were kids is also something that should not be ignored.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom