• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who's in for the Flash Clash

Arcalargo

god of the Longbow!
Reaction score
New WiFi battle has been announced and this one looks to be fun. Who's in?

Here are the deeets:

Test your battle reflexes in the Flash Clash Online Competition! Choose only one Pokémon and make fast decisions to lead it to victory! All battles will be played in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. You may not bring in Pokémon from earlier games via Poké Transporter, and all Pokémon will be set to Lv. 50 for the duration of the battle. Mega Stones and the Focus Sash will not be permitted. Play fast in the Flash Clash!

Sign-Up Period
Thursday, April 21, 2016, at 00:00 UTC through Thursday, April 28, 2016, at 23:59 UTC
• You must sign up during this period in order to be able to participate in the competition.
• You may sign up for the competition once per game registered to your PGL account.

Competition Period
Friday, April 29, 2016, at 00:00 UTC through Sunday, May 1, 2016, at 23:59 UTC

Participant Limit
50,000 (limit subject to change; first come, first served)

Participation Gift
Qualified participants will receive 2,000 Poké Miles, which can be used at the PokéMileage Club on the Pokémon Global Link. To qualify, players must earn a place in the rankings by completing at least one battle.

Age Divisions
Junior/Senior Division: Born 2001 or later
Masters Division: Born 2000 or earlier
• Junior Division players are limited to playing between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m., based on the eastern-most time zone in each player’s country.

Ranking Results Announcement
May 2016 (announcement time subject to change)

Compatible Games
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

Competition Rules
• This competition uses Single Battle format.
• Players may use Pokémon with National Pokédex number 1 through 720, with the exception of the following: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, and Hoopa.
• Players may use only Pokémon found, caught, hatched from an Egg, or received through a special promotion in Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y.
• Pokémon brought over from Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 via Poké Transporter may not participate in this competition.
• Register up to six of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Box.
• All Pokémon will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
• Only one of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Box can be used during each match.
• A 5-minute time limit for each match will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have 30 seconds to select one Pokémon with which to battle.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have 10 seconds to select a move. If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
• Players may battle up to 20 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
• Pokémon may not hold a Mega Stone, Soul Dew, or Focus Sash.
• You cannot use two or more Pokémon with the same Pokédex number.
• No two Pokémon can hold the same item.
• For additional details, please come back to check the competition’s regulations page when registration opens.

Participation Requirements
• A Pokémon Trainer Club membership
• A wireless Internet connection
• A Pokémon Omega Ruby or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire game with a Game Sync ID registered in the Pokémon Global Link (PGL)
• The birth date you have registered in your Pokémon Trainer Club account will determine the age division in which you play. If it’s discovered during the competition that your birth-date information is incorrect, you may be disqualified from the competition and future competitions.

I think talon is a huge player here. I might be in on this one. I'll go in with talon, greninja, cronk, and legit klefki. I'll choose the other two sometime.

First night, this is very fun, but its kind of a crap shoot. If both teams are well trained and diverse, the winner is pretty much the one who guesses right. Still, having a lot of quick battles is a lot of fun. I've seen a lot of Shedinja, but no one has actually used them, I think its just a play to force the opponent to be ready for it. Didn't see any Pokemon with sturdy, which surprised me. I am excited to keep battling throughout the weekend.

Alrighty, I am 20 matches in and I'm breaking even. My speed Golem isn't pulling through as much as I'd like. Plus I'm getting shut down hard by Greninja, it sucks.

Totally would've but I just moved and my games got shipped behind me... :(

I had some interesting sets to try, I was going to try an evasion Beartic with Snow Cloak and Bright Powder and he could take the first hit, set up Hail, spam Double Team until I've maxed my evasion, then spam Sheer Cold and if 8 of those miss, I have Toxic. Have you guys seen Aerial Ace or any priority moves a lot?

Another option I had was a similar Garchomp with Sand Veil and Sandstorm with Dragon Claw and Earthquake, and Double Team.

Other things I wanted to try out was a Perish Song Gengar, Protect Encore Torment Hawlucha, with Superpower and Mold Breaker, a Choice Band Weavile with Knock Off, Icicle Crash, Brick Break, and Giga Impact, and lastly, a pretty typical Protean Greninja and/or a typical Scarfed Latios. I had seven options, wasn't feeling the Gengar very well so was probably going to exclude that, seeing as my strategy would still lead to me having to take at least 2 hits, maybe 3.

Shame... I planned teams out for it but didn't get my games in time. :(

Let me know how it goes and what ends up winning, very curious, this specific tournament seems like an absolute crap storm lol, I could see anything winning and it's going to take so many lucky predictions right at the preview.

Arg I was in a hurry and forgot to equip my Weavile with a Choice Band :cry:

Still managed to beat half of the battles, but it hurts to know I would've at least beat 17 of them if I'd just had that Choice Band.

God I hate that the Battle Box gets locked during a competition :/

Arg I was in a hurry and forgot to equip my Weavile with a Choice Band :cry:

Still managed to beat half of the battles, but it hurts to know I would've at least beat 17 of them if I'd just had that Choice Band.

God I hate that the Battle Box gets locked during a competition :/

Oh my gosh that is soo terrible. I honestly feel so bad for you lol, in fact as you saw, I intended to bring a Choice Banded Weavile too, what else can you tell me about your Weavile, just to compare it to mine that I won't be able to use because my games are in a box somewhere that isn't my house.

Thank you for your sympathy haha, I feel bad for you too that you can't join :( Nice to know you were going to use Weavile too, though! Haven't met any other Weavile users yet, most I see are Greninja (which is nice, cause I can beat those :p) and I actually have seen one use a Shedinja.

My Weavile (Mars):
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Pressure
Item: Expert Belt (luckily she was wearing that, so I still have some sort of chance)
IV's: 31/31/31/?/31/31
EV's: 252 att/ 4 def/ 252 speed
Moves: Knock Off/ Brick Break/ Ice Punch/ Aerial Ace (to deal with other fighting types)

Thank you for your sympathy haha, I feel bad for you too that you can't join :( Nice to know you were going to use Weavile too, though! Haven't met any other Weavile users yet, most I see are Greninja (which is nice, cause I can beat those :p) and I actually have seen one use a Shedinja.

My Weavile (Mars):
Item: Expert Belt (luckily she was wearing that, so I still have some sort of chance)
IV's: 31/31/31/?/31/31
EV's: 252 att/ 4 def/ 252 speed
Moves: Knock Off/ Brick Break/ Ice Punch/ Aerial Ace (to deal with other fighting types)

I like the use of Aerial Ace, I'd also be expecting use of Double Team/Minimize a lot which Aerial Ace can help with. This was the one I was expecting to run.

Weavile:
Item: Choice Band
IVs: 31/31/31/?/31/31
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
Moveset:
-Icicle Crash
-Knock Off
-Brick Break
-Giga Impact

I'm not going to lie I completely overlooked Aerial Ace and might've considered using it. I tested various match-ups and Giga Impact would've secured some wins against certain match-ups but I wasn't planning to use it often. Any reason you aren't running Icicle Crash or just couldn't be bothered to breed it in time? In a way, even though you're forced to use an Expert Belt, I'm glad you've seen at least some success with your Weavile, makes me wonder what I could've done with mine. Oh well... Another day... :unsure:

Well, again managed to beat exactly half of the battles today, most of my losses are because of fire types. Seen lots of Volcarona and Talonflame today, and again quite a few Greninja.
I'm not going to lie I completely overlooked Aerial Ace and might've considered using it.

Giga Impact may have helped you more against those blasted fire types, though Aerial Ace did almost beat a Volcarona for me (if only I had been wearing that Choice Band :().
Any reason you aren't running Icicle Crash or just couldn't be bothered to breed it in time?

This Weavile was one of the first Pokémon I've ever bred, wasn't very familiar with breeding egg moves back then. And I've had it for so long now, that I don't want to breed a new one, got kinda attached to it :p And Ice Punch is good enough to get a 1HKO most of the time, so I'm fine with it really.

So far I'm the 80 battles that I've had across two games, only one Pokémon has consistently been able to take out Greninja. Thunder Punching, weakness policy equipped speed Golem. That said I'm still not having as much luck overall. I'm just over .500 on both.

Well, again managed to beat exactly half of the battles today, most of my losses are because of fire types. Seen lots of Volcarona and Talonflame today, and again quite a few Greninja.

Giga Impact may have helped you more against those blasted fire types, though Aerial Ace did almost beat a Volcarona for me (if only I had been wearing that Choice Band :().

This Weavile was one of the first Pokémon I've ever bred, wasn't very familiar with breeding egg moves back then. And I've had it for so long now, that I don't want to breed a new one, got kinda attached to it :p And Ice Punch is good enough to get a 1HKO most of the time, so I'm fine with it really.

Are you using the same Pokemon every time? I guess it wouldn't matter because you aren't battling the same person so they would never know. I should have thought of that, and then designed the rest of my team to look decent, but have similar weaknesses to convince someone to use the type that isn't good against the one I want to use.

I have also been 10-10 and then 11-9, its hard to win a lot in a row. Although my record when I use my Latias is a whole lot better, but for some reason I keep using others because I keep hoping for type advantages. I also didn't give all the items I wanted, although it was my stupid fault, because the bulbapedia article says something about not allowing legendaries, so I thought Latias wasn't going to be allowed and I just decided to try my battle box and it got locked because Latias was allowed. It is doing well with assault vest though, but my other items are kinda worthless because I was set up for regular online battles.

So far my win-lose rate has been 50-50 since it;'s quite hard to predict on what Pokemon is going to come out. I had some very close battles. :)

So with my main card, I went 33-27 and on my secondary account it was 32-28. I'll have a couple of videos to share as well.

Managed to get 29-31 and I see most others here got around 50% too, so I don't feel too bad about it :)
Are you using the same Pokemon every time? I guess it wouldn't matter because you aren't battling the same person so they would never know. I should have thought of that, and then designed the rest of my team to look decent, but have similar weaknesses to convince someone to use the type that isn't good against the one I want to use...

Well, I've been using Emboar quite some times too because of all the fire- and electric-types people are using. But I was planning to go 100% Weavile, because indeed no one knows which one you're gonna use, so you're better off just using one or two that have good coverage. And Weavile's my fav, so just wanted to know how many she could beat on her own.

Would indeed also have been a good one to fill your team with mons that all have the same weakness, I thought of that too late too :p I just filled it with mons that are used a lot, e.g. Volcarona. Didn't seem to work though, as people kept sending fire-types against me ¬¬

I do hope they do a 1v1 competition again sometime, I really loved it. They're nice and quick and quite fair as it's pretty much a guessing game so both parties have about an equal chance of winning (as can be seen by everyone scoring about 50/50). Would love if this became an online competitive option too.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom