• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

Which 'return arc' did you like best?

• Misty in AG

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • May in DP

Votes: 46 73.0%
  • Dawn in DP

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
I also don't understand why Dawn didn't have any updates on her journey, she didn't get any new pokemon or evo's and only 3 of her pokemon got decent screentime. Likewise not giving her a single important win at the Junior Cup was ridiculous.
Technically, she did - her Quilava. We just don't think of it as anything new, but that's only because, unlike with May's Glaceon and Venusaur, Cyndaquil's evolution was showcased on-screen in a special.

But, of course, this doesn't change the fact that she had about the most pointless, least eventful return ever. She might as well have not come back at all.

Dawn's return was rather surprising for me, whenever Cynthia said someone was waiting, I got confused, then I said:
"Ooh, nice mansion, Cynthia's loaded. Wait, I recognize those boots, that scandalously short skirt and the beanie...could it be?? IT IS!! IT'S DAWN AND PIPLUP!! We all know what that means...
Oshawott is going to meet Piplup!"

May's.

Dawn's was disappointing to say the least.

Hardly anything happened in Dawn's cameo. All she got was 1 evolution and nothing else. She didn't even tell us how many ribbons she earned in Hoenn and didn't even get a change in her attire

Hardly anything happened in Dawn's cameo. All she got was 1 evolution and nothing else. She didn't even tell us how many ribbons she earned in Hoenn and didn't even get a change in her attire

I don't mind Dawn not getting a new outfit. It wouldn't have hurt, but it wouldn't have made her return any better if the only thing that changed was her outfit. I would have liked to see her with some more new Pokemon, or at least getting Buneary to evolve and finally learn a fourth move. Quilava wasn't really much when it had happened during her special, even though it was never dubbed. I definitely didn't like how she didn't even mention anything about traveling to Hoenn or if she had won any ribbons while being over there. It seemed like they had forgotten that entirely. At the very least, she should have mentioned how many ribbons she had before going after the Wallace Cup again so that we could see how close she was to the Hoenn Grand Festival.

I think it says quite a bit that most Dawn fans were disappointed with her return. If fans of the character don't even think her cameo (and what might be the last Dawn episodes of the entire series), weren't that interesting, what can be said?

I will say the Onix filler with Dawn/Iris interacting was probably the highlight of it though.

I think it says quite a bit that most Dawn fans were disappointed with her return. If fans of the character don't even think her cameo (and what might be the last Dawn episodes of the entire series), weren't that interesting, what can be said?

I will say the Onix filler with Dawn/Iris interacting was probably the highlight of it though.

I really didn't like Dawn and Iris' interactions. Their friendship felt pretty forced to me and Dawn going with Iris' catchphrase felt really out of character to me. The only parts about her cameo that I kind of liked were her battles with Cilan and the one with Ash before she left. Despite how they were interrupted before a winner could be decided, I thought that the battles were pretty good, especially Pikachu vs. Quilava. I wish that Dawn could have just won that battle. It wouldn't have changed how terrible her cameo arc was, but at least she would have gotten something out it in instead of basically nothing.

Dawn's Was the Best Return I think because she is my Favorite Female Traveling Companion and in all the Episode's she Returned in were not all about which I think was so much better than all 9 episodes be Focused with her and I think that's how it was with Misty And May which was not that great. I liked there returns as well but better not to have all the episodes focused On Her.

May's return is better than the other two. Even though she lost(Dawn totally deserve to earn the ribbon), she actually do something to help Dawn bring her overly-confidence and her focus back.

Misty was alrite.

Dawn's Was the Best Return I think because she is my Favorite Female Traveling Companion and in all the Episode's she Returned in were not all about which I think was so much better than all 9 episodes be Focused with her and I think that's how it was with Misty And May which was not that great. I liked there returns as well but better not to have all the episodes focused On Her.

Dawn's my third favorite protagonist(behind brock and ash). But Dawn's return, is the worst one in my opinion(I rather for her not to return). Just because she's your favorite doesn't mean her return was great too. 4 of the 9 episodes is not even about her at all. Mostly, Dawn's lost to Iris' newly caught dragonite who doesn't even seem to obey her at all. Really? I got to admit that dragonite was tough(he's like immune to almost anything), but Iris doesn't really deserve to have it and she's a terrible trainer. But I like about her battle against Cilan and her battle against ash before she left. Cynthia comment on how good and how far ash and dawn's experience has come to and seems like equally strong.

Last edited:
May because we actually learned about her Johto contests and how Max and her rivals were doing. She even got new pokemon and evolutions and she gave Dawn advice on her contests. NextI would probably say Misty since her Togepi finally evolved and she got new pokemon as well, mainly Azurill. Last is Dawn since she didn't really do much when she came back, and her relationship with Iris seemed forced. The only new thing we learned about Dawn was that her Cyndaquil evolved and she did nothing to help Iris with Dragonite even though she had the same problem with Mamoswine.

I liked Misty's return the best, it was more entertaining. The group interactions improved when she was on the cast!

May's was okay. The same thing I said in the last sentence of Misty's return applies here, but it wasn't as good.

Dawn's wasn't that good because she didn't do anything, and those of us who didn't care for her had to deal with her longer.

Last edited:
To be honest, I didn't particularly like any of the returns finding them all a little shoehorned in. I'd say that Haruka's had the least of that feel though. Plus whilst the return wasn't much the effect it had on the show was awesome. Kasumi's was neither here nor there with some of the problems coming from the fact that Kasumi simply isn't that easy to promote in a short amount of time. It would have been awesome to finally see her get her game on but really, with the amount of time, she'd spent being in the background it wasn't that surprising that her cameo reflected that. That said, she did get some awesome moments. Hikari. Lets just take away the words 'a little' from that first sentence. Whilst Haruka's improved on the show and both Haruka and Kasumi's showed growth in the character, Hikari's cameo made her dull and annoying and did nothing for the show. Being from quite different writing from Best Wishes, it had potential to be interesting but to be honest, there was very little there that even reflected on that. I'm tempted to say that I liked 'Hikari' and Dento's interaction though.

Basically Haruka's though the cameos will probably never live up to their potential anyway.

I liked May's return the best, especially since the Wallace Cup arc was one of my favorites. May got to battle Dawn, and her progress since she was last shown really stood out to me. Dawn's return felt it was missing many things, especially knowing how she has done since leaving after DP. She did have some good interactions with the group at times. I liked watching her get a chance to battle everyone even if they weren't the best battles.

Misty's return really felt more about her Pokemon, especially Togepi than her. I did like her interactions with everyone when returning however.

I'm leaning towards Dawn just because I liked her better. May's was good but eh. Misty's I didn't really like tbh.

Back
Top Bottom