• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who’s Voice do you like the most in the Anime?

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
What are you favorite Voices in the Anime?

It Can be either Subbed or Dubbed

My personal favorites are

Japanese Subbed:

Ash
Goh
Pikachu
Iris
Bonnie
Lusamine
Lillie
Guzma
Hau
Hau's Decidueye
Mallow's Tsareena
Dracovish (Lmao)
Goh's Grookey
Goh's Inteleon

English Dubbed:

Ash (4kids)
Misty (4kids)
May
Brock
Serena
TR Meowth
James (4kids)
Jessie
Ghetsis
Goh's Cinderace

And before you ask. Yes other Countries such as Latin America, Brazil, Indonesia, etc can be added too!

Last edited:
Lately, I think Cherami Leigh has been doing a wonderful job as Chloe - the way she delivers her lines feels genuine and not like she's reading from a script (which I feel most of the XY and SM cast did); Chloe doesn't feel exaggerated in her dialogue or delivery either. I also love how she expresses Chloe's more annoyed or sharp comments, which is refreshing given how every Poke Girl since Serena has practically been 100% positive in nearly every situation.

I haven't watched all too much of the Journeys dub lately, but I do think Zeno Robinson's voice for Goh in the English dub is great! He really puts in a ton of character to everything he says, and some of his more exaggerated line deliveries are downright hilarious. He has a really good handle on Goh's personality and it comes across very genuine. I also really like the direction Sarah Natochenny has been taking Ash's voice this series as well.

Of course I'll always have a soft spot for the entire original 4Kids cast too. I feel like some of the more underappreciated voices from that era are Tara Jayne as Ritchie, Ted Lewis as Giovanni and Tracey, and Carter Cathcart as Gary. It was awesome to hear Cathcart reprise that role in Master Journeys earlier this week, especially after such a long time.

I'm also a fan of Hana Takeda's voice for Grookey. She makes it sound adorable!

Ikue Ohtani, Rica Matsumoto, and Megumi Hayashibara's voices in particular have always stuck out to me as my favorite voices. Rica brings life to Satoshu as a character, his emotions expressed amazingly well in emotional episodes or just everyday routines. Ikue just does a plain fantastic job of making Pikachu feel like an actual character. I've said before that Ikue Ohtani has to be the best voice actor ever and I still stand by that to this day. Megumi...man, I just have plain respect for this woman. She puts life into Musashi that I don't think any other voice actor can do for her. She took so much time to get to know her character, make her come alive in every single episode, and even understood her character better than the writers themselves. All three of them are just really amazing and admirable. :bulbaLove:

The QuaTRet's seiyuu are the characters, plain and simple. There's literally not a single thing I can say about the original TRio, but I have to give props to Ueda for joining so seamlessly into that dynamic as a latecomer, and also for his uncanny ability to make the word "Sonansu" sound like other words...

I really like Ash's, Misty's, Brock's, May's, Dawn's, Cilan's, Bonnie's, Kiawe's, Mallow's, Lana's, Goh's and Chloe's voices in both the Japanese version and the English dub. As for the Team Rocket trio/quartet, while I overall prefer their Japanese voices, their dub VAs still have their standout moments from time to time.

Japanese:
Ash
Goh
Yamper
Grookey
Sobble
Scorbunny
Cinderace
Iris
Bonnie
Dracovish
Dawn
Professor Cerise
Inteleon
Lucario
Gengar
Farfetch’d
Rocket Gang

English:
Ash(Sarah)
Gary
Dawn
Serena
Clemont
Hawlucha
Kukui
Kiawe
Iris
Gladion
Misty
Brock
Gliscor
Chloe
Rocket Gang
That one CoD in XY

Oh boy, it's almost as if this entire thread was designed and tailor made for me. :ROFLMAO:

Well anyway here's a list of some of the character voices from every region I really like a lot (all from the English dub btw and mostly for the more major characters aside from a certain few I'll include because otherwise we'll be here forever, and you'd be bored senseless):

Kanto: Misty (Rachael Lillis's take btw, Michele Knotz is alright but rather spotty with the S&M reprisals),
Brock,
Jessie (I do like both Rachael and Michele),
James (Ted Lewis and Eric Stuart, just not the later stuff from Hoenn though),
Meowth (Maddie Blaustein),
Professor Oak (Stuart Zagnit),
Giovanni (Ted Lewis, I know it was only for one or two episodes but Craig Blair's is just.... no),
Sabrina,
Koga,
the Pokemon League announcer (just so iconic and I kinda wish we saw Ted get another shot again)

Johto: Professor Elm,
Bugsy,
Morty,
Jasmine,
Chuck,
Lance (more his recent Journeys appearance than the older ones)

Hoenn: May (Veronica Taylor),
Max (Yes, Max is annoying but I'm amazed at how well Amy Birnbaum did with making him not sound too nerdy, which TAJ was guilty of with Kayzie Rogers's performance),
Drew (Oliver Wyman),
Harley (I don't know why but Bill Timoney is just really fun to listen to although Andrew Rannellls is also great as well),
Professor Birch,
Steven Stone,
Roxanne,
Drake,
Juan,
Tyson, (It's Marc Diraison... as a rival for Ash. What else can I say? (Well other than the Hoenn league kinda sucked but this isn't a place to rant.)
Noland, (Really the only Frontier Brain alongside Tucker that sounded very good)
Tucker

Sinnoh: Dawn (How could I not have Dawn on this list? Emily Bauer started rather rough with the TAJ episodes but pass that era and into the DuArt stuff, she really makes the role her own.)
Paul, (The best kind of asshole rival and Julian Rebolledo nailed it perfectly)
Barry, (Shame Jamie McGonnigal doesn't do much voice acting anymore because I miss him with how fun he was as Barry)
Cynthia, (Another banger of a role from Emily Bauer, let's hope she's still got it once the dub reaches her return)
Reggie,
Looker,
Saturn, (My favourite voice from the Galactic team)
Charon, (Second best voice of the Galactic team)
Hunter J,
Marble, (Yes, it's a COTD but it was my introduction to Cassandra Lee Morris as well so props for that)
Maylene, (This region has some real banging VA's for the gym leaders and it truly kicks off with Rachael Lillis as Maylene)
Crasher Wake, (J. David Brimmer really has that unique voice that I kinda miss hearing on the show, I like him a lot)
Angie,
Byron, (Easily my favourite of the gym leader voices with how Dan Green just went all out nuts with his voice, it really does sound like he had a great time in the recording booth)
Riley, (It's Marc Diraison. What else can I say?)
Candice,
Lyra,
Flint,
Volkner, (I wonder how the new Journeys VA will fare considering it's most likely Eli James won't be returning)
Tobias (The controversial Action Replay cheat using man himself, voiced none other than J. Michael Tatum)

Unova: Cilan,
Professor Juniper,
Don George,
N, (I'd still say that Nicholas DiMichele is the best voice for N as of now and the others still haven't come anywhere close to him yet)
Stephan,
Pierce, (It's still a god damn shame this guy disappeared)
Dr. Zager,
Chili,
Colress,
Burgh, (Billy Bob Thompson's first major role and he certainly left a good impression)
Ingo,
Emmett,
Drayden,
Roxie,
Barret,

Kalos: Serena,
Clemont,
Bonnie,
Professor Sycamore, (Jake Paque's one of my favourite NY VA's so of course Sycamore had to make the list)
Mairin,
Squishy,
Meyer,
Diantha,
Gurkinn,
Shauna,
Tierno,
Trevor,
Sanpei,
Malva,
Grant,
Ramos,
Olympia,
Wulfric, (My favourite voice of the Kalos gym leaders)
Lysandre, (Still the best villain performance in the anime hands down, Tyler Bunch nailed it to perfection)
Astrid,
Remo

Alola: Kiawe, (My favourite of the Alola companions voice wise)
Sophocles,
Professor Kukui,
Professor Burnet,
Samson Oak,
Gladion,
Hobbes,
Acerola,
Viren,
Molayne,
Tupp,
Zipp,
Plumeria,
Wicke,
Faba,
Hala,
Nanu,
Laki,
Ikari,
Ulu

Journeys: Goh, (I don't care for Goh himself but Zeno's a lot of fun in the role)
Chloe,
Professor Cerise,
Leon,
Raihan,
Chairman Rose,
Oleana,
Wikstrom

And that's my main list.

For subbed episodes, I’d definitely have to say the quaTRet’s VA performances enrich the anime that much more for me. Each of the four sound loveable and distinct in their own right, and I don’t think I’d be nearly as attached to the characters had I sticked to the dub for the later seasons.

As for the dubbed episodes, I think that Eric Carter’s performances Brock and James as well as Rachel Lillis’s Misty and Jessie are among my favorites. Some of the most memorable lines in the series have been birthed by these characters and they just wouldn’t be as funny if any other person said them. Many of the dub’s improvisions by EC’s James especially always made me LMAO :wynaut:

Honorable mentions go to Emily Jenness’s Dawn and Mike Liscio’s Clemont

As for the dubbed episodes, I think that Eric Carter’s performances Brock and James as well as Rachel Lillis’s Misty and Jessie are among my favorites. Some of the most memorable lines in the series have been birthed by these characters and they just wouldn’t be as funny if any other person said them. Many of the dub’s improvisions by EC’s James especially always made me LMAO
Just to be clear, you mean Eric Stuart, right?

I’m probably the only person who thinks Veronica Taylor did a better job voicing May than Ash. Since of course Veronica is a woman, her May voice is just a slightly younger sounding version of her real life voice. It made May sound like a real person than the usual “anime female character voice” you hear in various dubs where you can tell the VA is putting on a character voice. It’s a shame at conventions and online people only really know Veronica for voicing Ash and sometimes Delia.

Japanese: Ash, Jessie, Dawn, Iris, Cilan, Bonnie, Sawyer, Lana.
Pokemon (English version unless stated): Pikachu, Meowth (JP-specially when singing), Squirtle, Psyduck, Goldeen, Togepi, Mr. Mime, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Phanpy, Sneasel, Treecko, Munchlax, Mudkip, Corphish, Snorunt, Staravia, Happiny, Togekiss, Oshawott (JP), Emolga, Leavanny, Palpitoad, Goomy, Noibat, Squishy (JP), Rowlet, Meltan, Primarina, Eevee (SM/JN), G-Farfetch'd, Yamper (JP), Grookey (JP).

Latin American
  • Ash (season 3-12): Sounds exactly like a rebelious teen hero, and will forever be ingrained in my mind as Ash's voice.
  • Meowth: Strikes an excellent balance between "Cat who wants to be a boss" and "Boss trapped in the body of a cat".
  • Dawn (seasons 10,11,13, 24): Great voice, sounds like a pampered girl when it has to and like a determinated trainer when it has to.
  • Kiawe: GOD.
  • Lillie: I don't know if it's the right voice for Lillie, but it's cute and I get a nice feeling whenever I hear it.
  • Goh: A voice that's incredibly fitting for the character, and in my opinion sounds even more natural than the Japanese one.
Honorable mentions: Misty, Brock, Jessie (Rest in Peace...), James, Gary, Prof. Oak, Delia, Prof. Juniper, Paul, Stephan, Georgia, Colress, Serena, Clemont, Prof. Sycamore, Sawyer, Sophocles, Mallow, Lusamine, Gladion.

Last edited:
I really like Cilan's Japanese voice, but that's no surprise since it's Mamoru Miyano lmao. Team Rocket in general are also awesome, Jessie especially, I just feel like they put so much emotion into their roles and it's clear how much they love their characters.

Love all the Japanese VAs honestly. T_T <3

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom