• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who’s Voice do you like the most in the Anime?

Subbed, Only Main Characters Listed:

Satoshi
Takeshi
Kasumi
Haruka
Masato
Kojiro
Musashi
Nyasu
Hikari
Shinji
Iris
Dent(o) (Mamoru Miyano, I mean come on now-- Light Yagami!)
Shota
Lillie
Ookido Hagase

Dubbed (I actually liked a lot of the voice acting before the dub cast purge of late 2006, not so much now at all sadly!), Only Main Characters Listed Except N as notable IMO:

Ash (4Kids, shockingly love his AG voice most surprisingly: Veronica Taylor found this really smooth voice for him, yet it was also quite boyish somehow though I liked all her takes from Dig Those Diglett onward)

Brock (4Kids, excellent throughout- my favorite role from Eric Stuart in his entire VO career, actually)

Misty (4Kids- my favorite role from Rachael Lillis in her entire VO career, shockingly)

James (Stuart's take from Mid-Kanto to Johto pre-goofiness/hammy amplification but post-wooden, dry flatness, I don't hate or love Lewis' performance in the first few episodes as well as Stuart's AG era take on him as both are towards opposite levels of too serious and too comedic IMO-- less said about JCC's take the better though, NO)

Jessie (See James, though Lillis was still pretty good too)

Meowth (Maddie Blaustein's take: out of the TRio she had the consistently best performance of the triad from start to end, makes the current take that much more grating for me)

Professor Oak (4Kids, exactly the voice in my head when I imagined what he'd sound like- Origins is better than his TPCI main Series voice though, for me, but doesn't compare...Diskin is worse than Zagnit or Hebert for me in this role, better than JCC though)

Magikarp Salesman (4Kids, Absolutely Hilarious)

Nurse Joy (Megan Hollingshead's take: doesn't matter which run, though I love the overempathetic caring one most-- so sweet, so kind)

Officer Jenny (Lee Quick's take)

Cassidy (Andi Whaley's take)

May (4Kids- Beautiful voice, age appropriate too)

Max (4Kids, a shockingly good performance given the voice he would later receive 3 seasons later is exactly what I was fearful they would do and thankfully didn't)

Cilan (Pretty solid, on the whole)

N (Nicholas DiMichele's take, the best performance TPCI has put out in the main Series since acquiring the license IMO, I wish I could say the same for...you get the point)

The only time I actually preferred the dub VA (pre-TPCI, certainly not now sadly) over the original Japanese seiyu: Hanako (Delia, only 4Kids dub)- She sounds so motherly, so sweet, so kind, and it's a little higher pitched but it's exactly the voice I'd have imagined looking at her.

@darksteel6 looking forward to your favs.

I’m probably the only person who thinks Veronica Taylor did a better job voicing May than Ash. Since of course Veronica is a woman, her May voice is just a slightly younger sounding version of her real life voice. It made May sound like a real person than the usual “anime female character voice” you hear in various dubs where you can tell the VA is putting on a character voice. It’s a shame at conventions and online people only really know Veronica for voicing Ash and sometimes Delia.

I'm actually thinking of going to a con she's attending soon, will be my first time meeting a VA in person-- going to tell her that Delia and May are my favorite roles she did, though I have a big soft spot for her Ash too, but I must agree her female voices are just so pleasant on the ears. Her Delia is sweet as sugar, it's like music to my ears.

Last edited:
Favorite Incidental Character Voices, @RetroPokeFan listed some so I'll give you some I liked:

4Kids-

Bruno (Blaustein was so talented, amazing performance)
Ritchie (Jayne has a nice young boy voice in her arsenal when it's not reused on everyone, IMO)
Lance (Love Grayson's take)
Jasmine (Love Jayne's take, not a generic cutesy high pitched voice but stern, kind, and disciplined)
Roxanne (Love Neill's take, like a kind schoolteacher, exactly the voice I wanted to hear)
Steven (Love Paull's take)
Drake (Maillard is fantastic here)
Harley (Rannells did it best IMO, Timoney stereotyped a lot in comparison and it took the serious side away)
Juan (Sean Schemmel is fantastic here)
Noland (The only Frontier Brain's dub voice I liked besides Tucker's, only one 4Kids got to do pre-TPCI purge)
Scott (Abbey was super cool here, such a shame he only got a few episodes...)

TPCI-

Tucker (My favorite Bill Rogers role, sounds like Kelsey Grammer, badass)
Volkner (Pretty good, honestly)
N (Already listed)

Last edited:
Gonna use this as an opportunity to hype up Rachael Lillis, especially with her work as Jessie in the first few seasons. She gave the character an edge as well as vulnerability. The way she made the character sound so dramatic in her regular inflection was just so nice on the ears. She really sounded like she was having so much fun voicing Jessie and it comes off in the work. Sure, she maybe isn't as nuanced as Megumi Hayashibara's portrayal, but she gave her own unique energy to that version of the character that I can still appreciate to this day. I didn't love the direction she took the character in the AG series, she sounded a bit too high-pitched compared to something out of, say, season 2, but she was still a highlight.

The way she shouted "Lickitung!" has lived in my head rent-free since 1999.

My favorite voice in the English dub is Rodger Parsons. This man is a legend, and I'm happy that 'til this day, he continues to be the narrator for the series.

I get chills whenever he says "Welcome to the world of Pokemon" at the beginning of a new series or a movie.

My favorite voice in the English dub is Rodger Parsons. This man is a legend, and I'm happy that 'til this day, he continues to be the narrator for the series.

I get chills whenever he says "Welcome to the world of Pokemon" at the beginning of a new series or a movie.
OMG YES I LOVE THIS MAN. His voice is so soothing and he’s the perfect narrator for Pokémon.
One of my favorite lines from him is the last line after Ash leaves Charizard in the Charicific Valley

Japanese: Pikachu (while it might be taken for granted, the voice is a very good one, his VA is crearly talented). I rarely watch the show in Japanese, so I can't give a fair opinion on the human characters voices, with the exception of Yamato and Kosaburo, that I really appreciated when watching their version of the motto several times.
English: Turtwig (JCC), Wobbuffet (KR), Charmander (MH) and many other Pokémon. On the human voices, I've watched a lot episodes in English on Twitch and I can say I'm generally pretty neutral on most of the main characters voices, neither too good, neither too bad.
Italian: I think the main cast has usually been very well chosen, with very few exceptions (like Misty's redub's voice), and I'm grateful that it makes the dub experience an enjoyable one, at least for me. Team Rocket in particular is voiced by very talented actors and their performance still stands up to this day, except maybe for Meowth which since middle BW has gotten a somewhat deeper and older sounding voice, but the VA is aging as well so it isn't that surprising. I appreciate James's VA since he is very versatile and works appropriately in both funny and serious moments, fixing an issue that many found within the English dub when for example Eric Stuart's James couldn't be taken seriously in tense situations.

Last edited:
Japanese: Pikachu (while it might be taken for granted, the voice is a very good one, his VA is crearly talented). I rarely watch the show in Japanese, so I can't give a fair opinion on the human characters voices, with the exception of Yamato and Kosaburo, that I really appreciated when watching their version of the motto several times.
English: Turtwig (JCC), Wobbuffet (KR), Charmander (MH) and many other Pokémon. On the human voices, I've watched a lot episodes in English on Twitch and I can say I'm generally pretty neutral on most of the main characters voices, neither too good, neither too bad.
Italian: I think the main cast has usually been very well chosen, with very few exceptions (like Misty's redub's voice), and I'm grateful that it makes the dub experience an enjoyable one, at least for me. Team Rocket in particular is voiced by very talented actors and their performance still stands up to this day, except maybe for Meowth which since middle BW has gotten a somewhat deeper and older sounding voice, but the VA is aging as well so it isn't that surprising. I appreciate James's VA since he is very versatile and works appropriately in both funny and serious moments, fixing an issue that many found within the English dub when for example Eric Stuart's James couldn't be taken seriously in tense situations.
We can include Pokemon's actual dub voices here? Awesome idea, I think some I liked personally:

• Pikachu (Ikue, yes, it's iconic people)
  • Raichu
  • Nurse Joy's Blissey (Lillis made her sound so sweet in EP129)
  • Electabuzz (Japanese voice, the 4Kids dub actually kept it in the English Version)
  • Typhlosion (See above)
  • Flygon (See above)
  • Wobbuffet (KR's take, pre-Erica Schroeder in SM, I can hear a little difference now but it's not terrible at least)
  • Turtwig (Actually agree, one of JCC's better roles)

Re: Stuart's James, he was excellent in the OS IMO, but the goofiness/silliness started to be up'd in AG a bit (and it's only this role from him, what's so weird about it, Butch actually surprisingly sounded a little better than he did in the prior Saga + Magikarp Salesman/Brock sounded almost the same overall) so I think it was an issue with Darren Dunstan's vocal direction in this particular case. I still didn't hate it, his James was average, but it only worked for the more comedic side of the character there and fell flat in serious parts (that said, he sounded better in the Movies from this time than the Anime, probably because the AG 4Kids era dub Movies didn't have Dunstan directing all of them unlike the main Anime).

Having said that, I do believe Cathcart's James would also later fall into the same trap as him beginning with DP's dub, IMO, at first in BF he was like a nasally mimic of Stuart's OS James-- but then by DP it was a combo of the former's goofier AG take, with his nasally BF take in one package.

I'd still honestly welcome back AG or DP dub James with open arms any day over whatever Cathcart's been doing since XY in the part, though, what Flynn said regarding "an old man with a cold" is exactly what I've been hearing for years now, but with the same goofy, nasally tone that has been present for a while now- again the voice director is to blame here, and currently that's Lisa Ortiz, IMO.

(But that's just me, YMMV!)

On that note, some trivia for everyone regarding three things since it's a voice thread, sort of related.

Parsons was replaced 21 eps into the AG Series, with Mike Pollock until the end of the 4Kids' era run, and then returned when pretty much everyone else was sacked at the start of Season 9 when 4Kids got canned and TPCi took over excepting for JCC/KR (odd thing: John Loeffler and Manny Corallo the dub's music artists got to stay until Season 16 though, sacked in favor of Goldfarb in XY).

I thought Pollock was a pretty good substitute FWIW, though not quite as good, but what's always struck me as odd is that it doesn't necessarily seem to be because the last 3 Movies and EP263-AG145 were done in the in-house 4Kids studios at time, after they stopped outsourcing it in coordination with TAJ Productions.

Parsons apparently did stick around for the EP263-AG020 episodes 4Kids did in-house (the dub rights swung around from TAJ from S1-Mid 5, M1-Mid 5, those Pikachu Shorts-- though 4Kids oversaw all that work, to 4Kids alone (EP262-AG145, M6-8, PS Gotta Dance), to TAJ (AG146-DP052, M9-10) before both got the boot, and DuArt just got the boot before Journeys now ironically in favor of the current studio from TPCI).

Not sure what happened between Brave the Wave and Which Wurmple's Which, but I may ask some of the OG English dub cast if they know since I'm going to go to a con they're attending soon to see if I can find out some answers on what (if anything) they recall transpired there.

That means the two VAs who got to stick around the longest in the dub are Kayzie Rogers and James Carter Cathcart (due to having insider info everyone else apparently did not at the time of the change in late '06, Cathcart was blacklisted for his behavior during the change of hands by 4Kids IIRC-- see "oldguardtruthseeker" for the drama there, which is why he didn't reprise any of his Yu-Gi-Oh dub roles afterward), but Kayzie Rogers later retired after the XY dub leaving only JCC to be the only person who has been around from dub EP001 to this day (YMMV with him, I did like his Gary, Pryce, and his Turtwig, but I'm no fan of his takes on roles he took over and especially dislike his writing style since he assumed duties on his own, but that's a thread for another time). @RetroPokeFan thought you may find this last bit interesting since you liked the YGO: DM dub VAs like me despite the dub itself being a total mess.

Last edited:
Yoshitsugu Matsuoka and Sugita Tomokazu are two of my favorite voice actors. They're all great at taking their personalities beyond the base material. Both sound like they're having a great time with their roles, and I can't imagine anyone else portraying them. They spoil a lot of dubbed voice acting since the dubbed actors can't compete, in my opinion. Sugita incorporated all of Gintoki's shouts and hilarious sounds in Gintama, making the comedy even funnier. Yoshitsugu can be quite intense at times, which brings out the childlike qualities of some characters and adds a level of ferocity to action scenes (i.e kirito from SAO, Betelgeuse from re:zero, etc.)

There are definitely many dub voices from this franchise I rather enjoy, haha. But I'll keep things simple and only talk about BW for now:

Suzy Myers as Burgundy, the absolute queen of pettiness. I loved her performance as the character from day one, and her performance during the "Faux-gundy" nonsense in particular had me dying. I also love her "gratuitous French", and then way she'd deliver lines where the character was trying so hard to sound "eloquent"... and clearly not succeeding, haha.

Brittany Lee Hamilton as Georgia - Loved the sass! Plus she bounced off of Suzy's Burgundy during the duo's commentary at the tournament very well.

Eileen Stevens as Iris - She did a fine job with the character's feisty and kind moments, IMO. Not to mention how well she delivers some of her snarky lines! I'm very glad they got her back for Journeys, even if I don't care for the fact the pitch of her voice was somewhat higher there.

Darren Dunstan's Stephen - I was pleasantly surprised to find out he played him! Since he doesn't often play "hot-blooded rivals". He sounded pretty likeable as the character, and amusing when he'd complain about people not getting his name right.

Alyson Rosenfeld as Roxie - Very fun performance, and I liked the "rocker" slang.

Sarah Natochenny's Skyla - I think she did a nice job making it sound distinct from her her Ash as well, which is neat given they argued and battled with one another.

People have already mentioned how phenomenal Nicholas DiMichele is as N, and I'm glad to agree! He brought so much depth to the role, IMO.

Cilan - I actually found Jason Griffith's take kind of bland at first, but he eventually he grew into the role quite nicely! His rage at Skyla's handling of the Gym was very well-handled, IMO. And I do feel he does well with the character's passionate evaluation times, even if he doesn't go as "over the top" as Miyano did.

Eric Stuart's James in the Advanced Generation was the best! He was already perfect at the start but he really hit his stride in the Hoenn episodes.

Great range of emotion, perfect balance of seriousness and humor.

Eric Stuart is GOAT.

Eric Stuart's James in the Advanced Generation was the best! He was already perfect at the start but he really hit his stride in the Hoenn episodes.

Great range of emotion, perfect balance of seriousness and humor.

Eric Stuart is GOAT.
My favorite AG dub James moment overall, I genuinely laughed at this clip from 2005 in English & I haven't really liked his voice post-2002 in English. At least Eric Stuart's James was always fitting in comedic and light-hearted scenes, even if I liked his serious scene handling & overall performance in mid to late OS more (he & Ted Lewis were both so flat & bland early on, not sure what Dogasu sees in either of those takes or why the forums gave Stuart such a hard time back in the day on this performance- I'll take this ANY day over Cathcart's DP onward rendition, or Bosco/whoever the new dub VA is IMO even if it's not my favorite dub James incarnation):

I miss the horse-whinny laugh from the OS days in the dub- shame they took out all those quirks and funny mannerisms once JCC took over basically:

Last edited:
Eric Stuart does fit comedic scenes perfectly with any voice, Carter Cathcart doesn't fit any scene at all. He was flat when he first took over from Ted Lewis, and actually got better when he made the role his own. He really didn't deserve all the flak he got.

But on the other hand, could you imagine Carter trying to do the horse laugh? I don't think I want to!

Coolest Rival Voice (ft: Pete Zarustica) below!

EVERY TIME Drew Talked to Someone that was NOT May! #pokemon

(Stop after around the 5:02 mark)

Coolest Rival Voice (ft: Pete Zarustica) below!

EVERY TIME Drew Talked to Someone that was NOT May! #pokemon

(Stop after around the 5:02 mark)

I thought Wyman’s Drew and JCC’s Gary were the most memorable rival voices in the English dub run (JCC’s Gary is the only major role from him I did like for 13 years, in fact: the ones he took over, never a fan personally).

I thought the best major modern rival voice was McGonnigal’s Trip, even if I wish it had been more like a 10 year old’s (worst was Sawyer hands down to me, my ears!).

Trip was another one of my favorites too, he sounds more 12 than 10 if I were to nitpick but it's believable and captures his personality perfectly, it's more so the voice I was expecting from Paul back then.

Gary is James Carter Cathcart's most iconic role for a reason, I doubt his upcoming replacement actor will be the same.
Sawyer was probably the worst! Way too old sounding (that's saying something considering this is the dub with other kids that sound too old), flat and just badly acted overall. I don't know what I was expecting him to sound like but it wasn't that!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom