• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Who's your favorite Rival?

Blue, by far. He's threatening, he's a jerk, and he is always a step ahead. Personally, Silver annoyed/made me chuckle with his talk of how he hates everything. Brendan/May weren't bad, but they didn't really stand out. Wally was pretty cool, as he looked up to you, and his Gardevoir actually packed a decent punch. And Barry... is a spaztic little irk. Not a fan, at all. So, Blue, Wally, Silver, Brenden/May, every rival from every other game that exists, Barry.

Wally... Because I wanted his Ralts, and he was the only rival I actually liked...

When he caught the Ralts in front of me, I searched for one for ages... And his final team is just amazing (in my opinion)

I like Wally, because he seems like the only one that isn't overly cocky or arrogant. He's also just trying to build his way up, and develop that confidence level of his.

I liked Silver, he was the most interesting and had the coolest design. Blue comes in a close second. Wally was alright. Brendan and Barry annoyed me, the latter most of all.

I don't know why but Brendan and May always stood out as the most well-designed rivals to me. This does not in any way include their backstory as I find that it is the worst among all of the rivals.

I always hated how their finally teams where nothing compared to the Rivals we have now. If the Generation III remakes do happen I hope that they will fix up their teams to encompase finally starter evos and higher levels.

Anyway, I guess since I came into pokemon during GenerationIII I have a biased preferance toward them. ^.^

Silver and Blue. They actually both did something in the story - Blue became Champion, Silver had a character transformation, and is the son of Giovanni.

I also liked how both Blue and Silver were like antagonists, whereas the others were just nice the whole time.
^ this person read my mind and stole my opinion...

Wally. This kid deserves my vote. Just look at his development....
The other rivals are cool too.. but my fav is still Wally. Barry and Brendan/May can come after that

Without Bianca, who is my top favorite, I pick Gary Blue, Kamon Silver and Wally. Not necessarily in that order.

Blue was a conceited, disrespectful kid, but he was a challenge every time, and he became Pokémon League's Champion. He's also one of two Champions without a prevailing Type or weakness among his Team, and has sheer variety and good Pokémon backing him up. He's also the only Kanto Gym Leader in GSC/HGSS that poses any semblance of a challenge, as well as one of very few Gym Leaders that's not a Monotypist. He has also left his old ways and has become a pretty cool character. He was nowhere near as annoying as Barry, either, which helps.

Silver had nice development, but I'll admit his HGSS dialogue made him sound too goofy. In GSC, however, he was a pretty interesting character with an intriguing past and rash methods. His Team wasn't as good as Blue's, but it was still pretty well-balanced. His design was also fairly good.

Wally was the true Rival in Hoenn, and unlike most of these "holier than thou" fools before him, he was pretty nice and respected you. He also made a huge effort to get to where he did, and never gave up. He only needed much, much more focus and spotlight, and maybe a bit of a Team shake-up, but he was an awesome character and a very nice young kid. Easily the best character among all these, and a very good Rival in his own right.

Bianca and Cheren also seem set up to be great in Black and White, but I shall wait to play the games to say anything about them. Plus, they're not an option here.

For the rest... Barry annoyed the living hell out of me. That's all. Brendan/May were pretty pathetic for quitting like they did, and for that and many other inklings in their dialogue, they didn't seem to be actual Rivals, as Wally was. So yeah... it's hard to count them.

Barry for me. He was hilarious plus I love the Barry dance in Platinum XD

Silver and Green/Blue are awesome too because they're actually a threat. I couldn't beat Wally's Gardevoir at first (mainly because I was under leveled xP) but I really liked his development. I never actually considered Brendan/May a rival.

I'll have to wait until Black and White come out in America to judge Cheren and Bel.

Barry and Blue/Gary MOFO Oak are pretty awesome for just being... Well, the kind of rivals they are. And Wally gets one of my votes because I laugh out of schadenfreude whenever I think of him choking to death on his collapsing lungs!

Last edited:
Barry and Wally!

Barry since he was funny and hyper.

Wally because I like his development over the course of the game.

Screw Silver. Gary's where it's at.

And you can also get a lot more jokes out of Gary's personality and dialogue.

My favorite rival would be Blue. He's pretty much the only one who was a threat, excluding Silver, altough he was kinda cool too.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom