• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why all of the old characters all of the sudden?

Araragi-hakase

QUEEN NICKI DOMINATE
Reaction score
Every saga has it's homages to past characters and situations, but recently, there seem to be A LOT of them at once. Lizardon came back with a complete flash back episode, as well as a reminder of Kanto's starters that inspired it, there are hints that Satoshi's Butterfree may be coming back, Ibuki, a Jouto gym leader is appearing seemingly out of nowhere...what could all of this be working towards, if anything?

A lot of these characters and situations occurred 10+ years ago. Why bring them back all of the sudden? Is this leading to some sort of master plan or build up to something?

World Tournament Senior Cup?

Dunno, I doubt it's anything to look into. We got a Jouto Gym Leader in Shinou too, the return of old Pokemon, Jouto starters, Jouto evolution for Hinoarashi, etc. I'd love it if this was leading up to a WTSC. They run into Ibuki and Kairyu leaves with her and Iris catches Crimgan and she informs the group of the WTSC just outside of Kanto.

Because they are on their last legs, and realize that they keep dragging out the anime for no apparent reason other than to rake in the bug bucks. IT PRINTS MONEY! ;)

JK. In all sincerity, I do kinda feel like that myself, but it just feels like they're getting cheap and trying to make more throwbacks to older series in order to maintain the remnants of whoever's left among the older fans. However, it could be because they are trying to build-up to some epic event, but I have a feeling the Ash and Team Plasma along with TRio battle will be the climax of BW. XD.

I think it will lead to more older characters and Pokémon showing up in Kanto. What will the finale be? That remains to be seen. At this point, I am rather skeptical about a World Tournament as I would think that Iris and Cilan would stay for that, and yet we have a good reason to believe that they will leave before Ash makes it to Kanto. I suspect that Clair will invite Iris to Johto and that Cilan won't go to Kanto, either.

I think it will lead to more older characters and Pokémon showing up in Kanto. What will the finale be? That remains to be seen. At this point, I am rather skeptical about a World Tournament as I would think that Iris and Cilan would stay for that, and yet we have a good reason to believe that they will leave before Ash makes it to Kanto. I suspect that Clair will invite Iris to Johto and that Cilan won't go to Kanto, either.

You know, that's a pretty smart way of thinking about it. It seems pretty feasible given that Iris wants to be a Dragon Master, and if a "World Tournament" arc does happen, then it only seems natural Clair would be the person to introduce Iris to Johto. As for Cilan, I wonder what they have in store for him.

They're probably getting ready to wrap up Ash's story. I highly suspect in Kanto we'll finally get the Giovanni/TR conclusion and hopefully Ash reentering in the Indigo League with all his older pokemon.

Since he already has the badges he can likely just go right to the league.

With no Iris or Cilan since they're leaving at the end of the islands arc it'll be Ash alone.

They're probably getting ready to wrap up Ash's story. I highly suspect in Kanto we'll finally get the Giovanni/TR conclusion and hopefully Ash reentering in the Indigo League with all his older pokemon.

With no Iris or Cilan since they're leaving at the end of the islands arc it'll be Ash alone.

What waaaaaaaaaaah? Where in the world are you getting any of that?

Team Rocket isn't done in BW. Something major has to happen with them by the end of this gen. Giovanni and TR getting a conclusion in Kanto where they started makes the most sense.

Likewise this gen is probably going to end with one last tournament, I can see it being the Indigo league.

If he could jsut re-enter the League with the badges he already has, then why hasn't he shown interest in going through some of the older Leagues before? I don't quite see how bringing back his older Pokemon is getting ready to wrap up Ash's story. I also doubt that they'll have an entire arc with just Ash on his own. I could see them doing that for an episode or two at most, but not a whole arc.

At this point, I just take showcasing some of the older Pokemon as just fanservice, especially with Charizard. Clarie is most likely returning just to give Iris another option besides going back to Drayden. I don't think it means anything about Ash or wrapping up his storyline.

The Fighting Misty said:
Team Rocket isn't done in BW. Something major has to happen with them by the end of this gen. Giovanni and TR getting a conclusion in Kanto where they started makes the most sense.

Likewise this gen is probably going to end with one last tournament, I can see it being the Indigo league.

While I don't think that they're building up to a conclusion with Team Rocket either, I think that is at least more possible that trying to wrap up Ash's storyline. I could see them ending the series with another tournament, but I think that something like an actual Pokemon World Tournament arc would be more likely to happen than Ash re-visiting the Indigo League.

When JJM follow Ash to Kanto where do you think they'll go? They always check in at TR HQ's when they are in Kanto. We'll likely see Giovanni and the conclusion.

I definitely don't see nothing important happening with TR between the end of this gen and the next. They're still serious and Wobbufett has been hinted at returning. So likely they're reuniting with their old pokemon and will probably wind up in a conclusion.

I don't know what to make of "the good sis" Team Rocket, I honestly don't know what I would do if DP-style Rockets made a comeback. They already seem to be creeping back into their old ways...though it's mostly Meowth due to his mascot status. I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the movie and N arc. conclusion before jumping the gun.

You think the Indigo League is likely but you think Misty can't make a non-permanent return?

The Kanto Grand Festival was at the Indigo Plataeu, why is this so hard to believe?

You really think BW is going to end on a bunch of fillers? We now know the islands have no challenge for Ash.

The Kanto Grand Festival was at the Indigo Plataeu, why is this so hard to believe?

You really think BW is going to end on a bunch of fillers? We now know the islands have no challenge for Ash.
World Tournament Senior Cup at the Indigo Plateau, yes. I don't believe in an Indigo League however.

Iris and Cilan leaving beforehand makes it obvious only Ash is going to enter whatever the last tournament is

Iris and Cilan leaving beforehand makes it obvious only Ash is going to enter whatever the last tournament is

We don't know if they're leaving before this hypothetical tournament however, for all we know that "Sayonara?!" could be a red-herring. I still remember how you told me that Trip losing in the first round of the Unova League was "impossible" when I presented the idea. I think you should know by now BW is a series that breaks all the rules, so don't go dealing in on absolutes.

By that logic Iris and Cilan leaving early makes sense as they have no reason to go to Kanto and BW breaks the rules.

Seeing Ash by himself for the last 10 episodes of BW would be fine especially if its focused on one arc.

To be honest, I've been wondering the exact thing, as shown in several of my posts in the respective threads.

Since I see no reason to advertise Kanto or Johto, I can only assume the writers just feel like it or, as someone else pointed out, perhaps it is just to honor the end of an era before the games go 3-D. Or maybe they really are just desperate gimmicks to keep viewers watching. *shrugs*

Last edited:
To me, the answer is pretty obvious, the name Decolora (De-colour) screams it: We are at the end of an era. XY are the first Pokémon games to not be named after any colour (even the jewel named games were still colours) and are the first games to feature 3D models instead of sprites. The best way to celebrate the end of an era is to remind people of things from that era. Now that Clair is returning, it isn't just limited to the previously thought Kanto nostalgia either - it's original series nostalgia.

Writers were (for most of Isshu) unable to make references to past sagas, because of BW's pseudo-retcon feel. It's compensation for that.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom