• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why Alpha and Omega?

Extroth

Face the Darkness
Reaction score
So what do you guys think why would they chose these prefixes? It doesn't seem like it would be a biblical reference but some people have pointed that out to me.

To be honest, @Neosquid; is probably right.

But it should be interesting to note that the first version, Ruby, is "Omega", and the second one is "Alpha", even though it should be the other way around.

I had an idea on why they used Alpha and Omega, but it's probably wrong anyway.
So it's like this. The two versions are actually very different.
In omega, the team(s) is trying to destroy the world, i.e. bring the end of the world (since Omega is the last letter of the Greek alphabet.)
In Alpha, the team(s) is trying to make the world the same as it was in the beginning, and it's about the beginning of the Pokemon World.

Honestly, I love how creative GameFreak have gotten with their names since Black and White. I mean, who could have guessed B2W2? Then XY? And now we have Alpha and Omega?

Maybe it's because Gen III saw the first remake, so the Gen III primary pair remakes will be the last? Ohohohohohohohohoho.

I don't know of any relatable biblical text to the game's premise asides from the colossal beasts in Jewish mythology, which the legendary trio are based on, but I believe the 'alpha' and 'omega' is a nod to how our world is ~70% water and ~30% land. Maybe the Pokemon world is the same?

Last edited:
Arceus is also the Alpha Pokemon....
I know remakes don't introduce new Pokemon, but what if...
They reveal the OMEGA Pokemon....

but I believe the 'alpha' and 'omega' is a nod to how our world is ~70% water and ~30% land. Maybe the Pokemon world is the same?

How does 70% and 30% have anything to do with Alpha and Omega?

Because Kyogre is superior to Groudon

I don't know, probably just Rule of Cool. The franchise has really been focusing on Kanto, the beginning, especially when XY and Origins were first announced. Perhaps they're doing something with looking back to the beginning or something? I don't know about the whole "end" thing, though.

Well there wasn't much relation to Heart and Soul in HGSS so I don't think the words Alpha and Omega will play too much apart.

Although one of my friends pointed out a link between Xerneas and Yveltal, Xerneas as the bringer of life, the beginning is the Alpha, Yveltal as the bringer of destruction is the Omega.

Also there's a link between Groudon and Kyogre, on the box art Groudon's tail looks different as though it could be part of Yveltal and Kyogre's tail is in a similar design to Xerneas hence why Ruby is Omega and Sapphire is Alpha.

They're gonna have some amazingly thought out reason for it, but right now I'm just going to say that they wanted to go with something that fans haven't been thinking for years like Aqua/Magma etc.

So what do you guys think why would they chose these prefixes? It doesn't seem like it would be a biblical reference but some people have pointed that out to me.

Theoretically, it could be a reference to the bible as the main trio are believed to be derived from that, and the Regis are associated with them via Hebrew mythology.

Another possibility that is mentioned here is that maybe the concept behind their elements serve as an influence as well. Water is seen as a substance that is needed for life while intense heat is more associated with death (ex. deserts, lava, etc.). So Alpha could be a reference to how water gives life while Omega refers to how intense heat gives death, that would also tie into the thematic that Xerneas and Yveltal represent as well.

Arceus is also the Alpha Pokemon....
I know remakes don't introduce new Pokemon, but what if...
They reveal the OMEGA Pokemon....

but I believe the 'alpha' and 'omega' is a nod to how our world is ~70% water and ~30% land. Maybe the Pokemon world is the same?

How does 70% and 30% have anything to do with Alpha and Omega?

Their world is likely covered more in water than it is in land, therefore the dominant element is water while the subservient is land.

They're gonna have some amazingly thought out reason for it, but right now I'm just going to say that they wanted to go with something that fans haven't been thinking for years like Aqua/Magma etc.
Come to think of it...

Aqua and Alpha sound pretty similar. Both start with "A", and both end with "A".
And Magma and Omega sound pretty similar as well. Like, O"magma" became O"mega". (O"mega" evolutions?!)

Their world is likely covered more in water than it is in land, therefore the dominant element is water while the subservient is land.

But then you're assuming that Alpha is more dominant than Omega? Why? Just because it comes first?
You could say that Omega is more dominant because it ENDS whatever Alpha started.

But then you're assuming that Alpha is more dominant than Omega? Why? Just because it comes first?
You could say that Omega is more dominant because it ENDS whatever Alpha started.

'Assuming' is the keyword here. And when pitting the mascot Pokemon's type, Kyorge's is super effective against Groundon--not including their [default] moveset and stats.

'Assuming' is the keyword here. And when pitting the mascot Pokemon's type, Kyorge's is super effective against Groundon--not including their [default] moveset and stats.

not to mention that when you hear the words alpha and omega alpha is usually considered the more dominate one. in fact the only the only time ive ever known omega to be the dominate is in the animation movie alpha and omega

I honestly have no clue. In wolf culture the Alpha is the head wolf with Beta's while an Omega is a wolf without a pack. It would make sense for something where Arceus was the box legend but it doesn't here.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom