• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why Alpha and Omega?

The tittles are really appealing I hope they are connected to the story. Maybe there is a special Alpha/Omega stone that can make these Legendaries Mega evolve.

To tie in with the Teams Magma and Aqua's logos representing Omega and Alpha, respectively.

Look at it this way. Alpha is at the beginning in the greek alphabet, it is associated with sapphire because Kyogre is the embodiment of the sea and the sea is where life first began. In addition water is essential to life which can tie into Alpha being the beginning (like beginning of a life). Omega is at the end of the greek alphabet, it is associated with ruby because Groudon is associated with land (which life there came from the sea) and fire (which causes destruction, like the end of things).

If you think about it Alpha's the beginning and Xerneas is the Life Pokemon. Combine that with the fact that everyone has a beginning and water is the wellspring of life it makes sense for Sapphire to be Alpha. For Omega, you need look no further than the ancient city of Pompeii. A city that was devastated and ended by lava which is magma, hence Ruby is Omega.

Opposite ends.

A big deal on Ruby and Sapphire is that the two are extreme opposites. Most of the symbolism of these games involves conflicting forces, which is even more accentuated with how Emerald/Green/Rayquaza brings peace between both.

It's simpler than Heart and Soul.

From a previous thread I made:

I was thinking that maybe the names of the remakes have something to do with the megaevolution exclusives.
For example, if Swampert gets two mega-evolutions depending on the game (like Charizard/Mewtwo), their names would be Mega Swampert α & Mega Swampert Ω (like Mega Charizard X & Mega Charizard Y). That may be the reason why the games are not called something more obvious like Magma Ruby, 'cause the name of the evo would be something ridic like Mega Swampert Magma. Do I make sense?

I think I may have found something dealing with the Alpha and Omega parts of the name. In Revelation 22:13 of the New Testament, "God" proclaims that he is "Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."

In general Pokemon lore, Groudon and Kyogre basically created the world as it is now, Groudon forming the land and Kyogre forming the oceans. In the game Team Aqua and Team Magma want to cause the end of the world. This brings it full circle as Groudon and Kyogre brings "the beginning" while the influences of Team Aqua and Team Magma brings "the end".

I'm seeing a but of "alpha is dominant over omega." I don't know that that's true... I mean, right in the bible, God is described as "Alpha and Omega" (maybe that's not in the bible, I'm not overly religious, but I know I've heard that). So, it has always bothered me that arceus, the supposed "god" Pokemon, is just the Alpha Pokemon. Why just alpha?

Anyway, I think they just try to pick cool names that go with things. They choose opposites, or complimentary titles. Heart and soul could have easily been their own games. But game freak liked it, so stuck it on to hold and silver (plus, the names sound awesome. A bit more so than omega ruby and alpha sapphire...). Nevertheless, the names are what they are because that's what they are. :)

In general Pokemon lore, Groudon and Kyogre basically created the world as it is now, Groudon forming the land and Kyogre forming the oceans. In the game Team Aqua and Team Magma want to cause the end of the world. This brings it full circle as Groudon and Kyogre brings "the beginning" while the influences of Team Aqua and Team Magma brings "the end".

What game have you been playing? Both Aqua and Magma honestly think that making the ocean level rise or expanding land masses, respectively, would be beneficial for both humans and Pokemon. They were surprised at the destruction they were causing (after waking up Groudon/Kyogre in RS, they start going on about how there's too much rain or sun).

I honestly don't know why everyone seems to think all these villains want to end the world. Only Cyrus technically wanted to do that (in order to create a new one). Even Lysandre was committing mass genocide so that the few "chosen" people in Team Flare can live in a world free of conflict (does he get points for at least acknowledging that his plan is destructive?)

Because "Beta" wasn't as impressive as "Omega."

One is 'beginning' the other is 'end,' keeping with the diametric theme's of pokemon gametitles (black white, gold silver)

Also the shape on Groudon's hand looks better as an omega "O" shape, and Alpha's "A" shape looks better on Kyogre's fin.

Well there wasn't much relation to Heart and Soul in HGSS so I don't think the words Alpha and Omega will play too much apart.
Yeah, it’s possible that Alpha and Omega were just chosen because it would just make sense to follow the pattern that was started with the Kanto remakes.

Team Magma logo has visible Omega in it, the same goes for Aqua logo and Alpha.
You can just barely make out the Omega symbol, but the Alpha symbol seems to be pretty obvious in the design (although it probably wasn’t though of at the time).

As many people have noticed, the Omega symbol is embedded in the Team Magma logo and Groudon's shoulders while the Alpha symbol is embedded in the Team Aqua's logo and Kyogre's design. The Greek letters are opposites of each other, just like Red/Blue, Black/White, etc.

Though, it all reminds me of the Braille puzzle to unlock the Regi Golem trio. Lead with Relicanth and end with Wailord (the reverse in Emerald). Lead with the beginning prehistoric Pokemon and end with the result. Alpha Omega. It's the reverse in Emerald. Omega Alpha. Full circle either way.

Rayquaza reminds me of the Ouroboros or Uroboros (from the Greek word οὐροβόρος ὄφις tail-devouring snake), which is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail. The Ouroboros often symbolizes self-reflexivity or cyclicality, especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things such as the phoenix which operate in cycles that begin anew as soon as they end.

You do run in a circle to solve Regice's puzzle in Emerald, anyway.

adrank-what-does-it-mean.png

psst psst look at the magma and aqua grunts hoods psst

X and Y: Latin alphabet
RS remakes: Greek alphabet

There might be other reasons for the names, but I feel like they at least thought of the alphabet connection.

And to the poster above: If anything, it should be Gamma Emerald.

The letter Alpha has a tie to the moon as well, and that has to do with the tides of the oceans. I have no idea about Omega though, but my guess would be Earth shattering eruptions of lava does bring in mind the end of the world. \
As I said in the boxart legendaries hint thread, it could also tie into Groudon and Kyogre themselves and only themselves, with Ω Groudon and Α Kyogre being their ascended formes, acting as the prototypes of mega evolutions.

These remake names had it coming since Ruby and Sapphire's release.

Groudon's hand- Omega marking. Kyorge's fin- Alpha Marking.

Aqua Logo - Stylized Alpha. Magma Logo - Stylized Omega.

...Does it really have a deeper meaning than this? No, I don't think so.

The letter Alpha has a tie to the moon as well, and that has to do with the tides of the oceans.

Wait, how do you know that?
These remake names had it coming since Ruby and Sapphire's release.

Groudon's hand- Omega marking. Kyorge's fin- Alpha Marking.

Aqua Logo - Stylized Alpha. Magma Logo - Stylized Omega.

...Does it really have a deeper meaning than this? No, I don't think so.

BUT WHAT IF IT DOES?!?!??

In religion ( islam) and in science, life is said to have originated from water so that's Alpha for you. Human beings live on the ground and they are the species that will bring about the end of the world (lol) so thats omega for you.

Just my 2 cents :3

In religion (islam) and in science, life is said to have originated from water so that's Alpha for you. Human beings live on the ground and they are the species that will bring about the end of the world (lol) so thats omega for you.

Just my 2 cents :3

Maybe it's because things that die become part of the earth again. Also, we often bury our dead in the ground. That's how I'd fit Omega in this.

I agree with your Alpha theory by the way :)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom