• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why are Ash's League rivals so last minute?

As bad as it was for Cameron to be that stupid, I don't know if bringing five Pokemon to a full battle is something that would get anyone disqualified. A full battle does obviously mean you'd need to bring six Pokemon, but they never indicated that bringing less than six was breaking the rules. If he went off to get a sixth Pokemon in the middle of the battle, much like how Ash had to leave to get another Pokemon for his Gym match against Elesa, then that would be different. Leaving the battlefield because you didn't bring enough Pokemon is definitely worth disqualifying a trainer instead of just using five Pokemon as opposed to six for a full battle.

Makes as much sense as a sleeping Pokemon ends in disqualification tbf. They make stupid rules to beat Ash all the time. Charizard sleeping was a DQ, A Blaziken over powered his Charizard which at least was feasible (done solely to introduce Hoenn), Pikachu lost to a Puss in Boots Meowth ffs, random OP trainer with legendaries right after Ash just defeated his most difficult hurdle ever (and he just happens to leave out half of his OP Pokemon, really Ash?). Then we have the Unova embarrassment, he basically lost to two Pokemon, Hydregion and Lucario rekt him, Cameron's other three Pokemon were shit lol. I'm not even going to bother going into the writers excluding Krookodile from that battle and making Ash choose poor Pokemon match ups.

Was it ever specified you would get disqualified if you don't bring in 6 Pokémon?

I don't think so. They mentioned in other Leagues that trainers are only allowed to use the Pokemon that they registered for a specific match. Ash couldn't use Pikachu against Gary during the Johto League because he didn't register it prior to the battle and if he did use Pikachu in spite of that, then he would have been disqualified. I don't recall if the Unova League had trainers registering what Pokemon they were using for a specific match, but that was the best comparison I could think of.

Makes as much sense as a sleeping Pokemon ends in disqualification tbf. They make stupid rules to beat Ash all the time. Charizard sleeping was a DQ, A Blaziken over powered his Charizard which at least was feasible (done solely to introduce Hoenn), Pikachu lost to a Puss in Boots Meowth ffs, random OP trainer with legendaries right after Ash just defeated his most difficult hurdle ever (and he just happens to leave out half of his OP Pokemon, really Ash?). Then we have the Unova embarrassment, he basically lost to two Pokemon, Hydregion and Lucario rekt him, Cameron's other three Pokemon were shit lol. I'm not even going to bother going into the writers excluding Krookodile from that battle and making Ash choose poor Pokemon match ups.

I thought that it made sense that the Charizard disqualification made sense. It wasn't because Charizard was sleeping. It was because Charizard refused to battle. The idea that something like that would have consequences in a tournament battle sounded reasonable, more so than saying that Squirtle was knocked out due to falling asleep from Sleep Powder at least.

I don't think so. They mentioned in other Leagues that trainers are only allowed to use the Pokemon that they registered for a specific match. Ash couldn't use Pikachu against Gary during the Johto League because he didn't register it prior to the battle and if he did use Pikachu in spite of that, then he would have been disqualified. I don't recall if the Unova League had trainers registering what Pokemon they were using for a specific match, but that was the best comparison I could think of.

I thought that it made sense that the Charizard disqualification made sense. It wasn't because Charizard was sleeping. It was because Charizard refused to battle. The idea that something like that would have consequences in a tournament battle sounded reasonable, more so than saying that Squirtle was knocked out due to falling asleep from Sleep Powder at least.

Wasn't Bulbasaur put out because he got paralyzed?

Okay, so maybe failing to bring the designated number of pokemon to a tournament isn't enough to disqualify the trainer who brought less pokemon than they should. However, the battle was supposed to be a six-on-six battle, giving prior information that both trainers should bring a full team and thus prevent one trainer from having an advantage they shouldn't have. This is an official tournament approved by the pokemon league which is different from gym battles where the gym leader can choose to be generous to challengers (as proven by Roxie, gym leaders can make their own rules).

The 5-on-6 scenario shouldn't have happened at all, and it was the league's blunder that they let Cameron compete with five pokemon in the first place. In addition to making Cameron an idiot, the writers had made the league look worse for not checking the number of pokemon of the trainers before they battle.

A Blaziken over powered his Charizard which at least was feasible (done solely to introduce Hoenn), Pikachu lost to a Puss in Boots Meowth ffs
I don't feel so bad about Ash's loss to Harrison's Blaziken. After all, he had to lose at some point (let's be honest here, people), and Harrison was the best Trainer he possibly could've lost to in the tournament. The battle between Charizard and Blaziken was epic, and it honestly could've gone either way. Hence why I don't feel salty about it. An added bonus to me is the fact that the battle with Charizard actually exhausted Blaziken so much that Harrison couldn't use it in his next battle, resulting in his loss.
But Tyson... Yeah. I'm not so happy about that loss. Sure, mostly Tyson had a pretty solid team that understandably gave Ash a hard time. But to have a gimmicky, OP Meowth as his ace and as the Pokémon that beats Ash's ace (Pikachu)... I don't buy it. I never liked that Meowth's attitude towards TR Meowth either, treating him like an inferior life forms, worthy of mockery and disgust. Not to mention that Mr. Perfect here then went and won the whole tournament. So yeah, this one is one of my least favorite League losses for Ash.

Speaking of which...

The 5-on-6 scenario shouldn't have happened at all, and it was the league's blunder that they let Cameron compete with five pokemon in the first place. In addition to making Cameron an idiot, the writers had made the league look worse for not checking the number of pokemon of the trainers before they battle.

Yeah. Cameron sucks. He's a joke character whose incompetence was pushed to such ridiculous levels that it wasn't even funny anymore. Seriously, he chose a Swanna against a Pikachu and a Ferrothorn against a Pignite, brought only five Pokémon to a Full Battle, and, despite all that, managed to WIN?! Sorry. Not buying it. Not in a million years. Ash should've lost to Virgil. He at least was competent!

But yeah. If you want a better comedic League rival, have Morrison. At least he had his serious moments.

PS. I once saw someone on YouTube saying that Cameron was their favorite rival (or something, don't remember exactly) because he and Ash were both such bumblers. Of course people can have their own opinions, but WOW! I haven't forgotten that video simply because of that opinion.

Inb4 Ash loses to Bewear with no Trainer.

LOL literally Bewear is one of the best characters in the Alola anime. It is the best. When it came to Kanto to bring back Team Rocket, I laughed so much. It jumped out of a plane!

I agree with @FinnishPokéFan92 it is really ridiculous. I started shouting when it happened and as I said previously I knew it was going to happen when Riolu evolved. It is honestly really bad. And yes I guess so - but I still think that even though the trainer with 6 has the upper hand - they should still have that because it is the trainer with 5's fault that he didn't pay attention so should be on the backfoot. Cruel, I know! :sneaky:

I don't feel so bad about Ash's loss to Harrison's Blaziken. After all, he had to lose at some point (let's be honest here, people), and Harrison was the best Trainer he possibly could've lost to in the tournament. The battle between Charizard and Blaziken was epic, and it honestly could've gone either way. Hence why I don't feel salty about it. An added bonus to me is the fact that the battle with Charizard actually exhausted Blaziken so much that Harrison couldn't use it in his next battle, resulting in his loss.
But Tyson... Yeah. I'm not so happy about that loss. Sure, mostly Tyson had a pretty solid team that understandably gave Ash a hard time. But to have a gimmicky, OP Meowth as his ace and as the Pokémon that beats Ash's ace (Pikachu)... I don't buy it. I never liked that Meowth's attitude towards TR Meowth either, treating him like an inferior life forms, worthy of mockery and disgust. Not to mention that Mr. Perfect here then went and won the whole tournament. So yeah, this one is one of my least favorite League losses for Ash.

Yeah I found that loss okay even if i was sad about it. The rest were mostly jokes though and very disappointing in their own rights. Hated the writers for that.

Talking about Leagues, I think Ash will get regressed sooner or later, since the executives don't want him to win. This show can pull up a second and maybe even a third Best Wishes and it would still be making tons of money.

Talking about Leagues, I think Ash will get regressed sooner or later, since the executives don't want him to win. This show can pull up a second and maybe even a third Best Wishes and it would still be making tons of money.

I think it all depends on where the games head with respect to gyms and leagues. If leagues become like this inaugural thing for each following region then Ash could probably win them as to me anyways, they're closer to being Orange Islands league than an official one.

If Ash wins a league then it will mean one step closer to the anime being finished. Anime gives the Pokemon Company a sizeable amount of money you know.

Short answer: Because the creators want a reason for Ash to lose
Long answer: Usually the people who enter the tournament that are "tough battles" for Ash are his rivals. It's pretty much expected that Ash beats them during the league, so it makes it look like Ash would actually win the league. Obviously, the creators don't want this to happen, as that meant that the anime would end, so they just rush in someone to prevent Ash from advancing. This may be the reason why many people criticize rushing in Ash's league rival - it's just another ploy for Ash to lose the league. However, this is also a reason why XYZ is so acclaimed: the creators actually got to explain the backstory of Alain, who was the one who defeated Ash in the Kalos league.

He can still lose to the E4.

Hmm fair enough but I think it would be prudent for Ash to stay in that region to keep battling them. It would be such an anti-climax for him to just go "uhhh i lost cause im bad so let me go to the next region and forget i won the league!!!"

Hmm fair enough but I think it would be prudent for Ash to stay in that region to keep battling them. It would be such an anti-climax for him to just go "uhhh i lost cause im bad so let me go to the next region and forget i won the league!!!"
He would go to the next region to get stronger so he can beat the e4

Last edited:
He can still lose to the E4.

Well sure, but I've never understood why this scenario is viewed as favorable. To me, Ash winning a League simply to lose against the E4 would be horrible. It'd be like climbing to a mountain's summit, only to get knocked back down by an avalanche.

I'm about to add a whole new wrinkle into this situation. By making Ash lose a region's major tournament each and every time, he keeps losing his chance to live his dreams. In short, the show is trying to "teach" us that losing our chance to earn and live our dreams is "okay." If it's "okay" for the main hero to never get his happy ending, despite countless hours/days/months/years of hard work and dedication, then that makes it "okay" for us to never get our happy endings as well, no matter how hard we try. That seems to be the "message" the writers are telling us, that it's "okay" to always lose just short of your goal and never achieve your dreams, no matter how hard you try. If you ask me, that's a deep freeze cold slap in the face.

I'm about to add a whole new wrinkle into this situation. By making Ash lose a region's major tournament each and every time, he keeps losing his chance to live his dreams. In short, the show is trying to "teach" us that losing our chance to earn and live our dreams is "okay." If it's "okay" for the main hero to never get his happy ending, despite countless hours/days/months/years of hard work and dedication, then that makes it "okay" for us to never get our happy endings as well, no matter how hard we try. That seems to be the "message" the writers are telling us, that it's "okay" to always lose just short of your goal and never achieve your dreams, no matter how hard you try. If you ask me, that's a deep freeze cold slap in the face.
This actually makes the SM season make a bit more sense: he still wants to be a master but first he must learn the way of a Pokemon Master... through silly class activities and really dumb plots.

That seems like a harsh way to look at the situation and I'm sure that isn't the writers' intention with making Ash lose every League. You could take it like that, but it just seems too much of an unnecessarily depressing point of view of the show.

I've personally always taken this as a sign of Ash being the embodiment of determination: No matter how many times you get knocked down, you just get back up and try again and again until you succeed, no matter how many times it takes. That's what the message is for me. If you want an example, just look at the end of the Sinnoh saga and Ash watching the battle between Cynthia and Flint. The determination is real, even though he was just steamrolled by a guy spamming Legendaries. Ash never gives up, and I feel that this is the show's core message.

Well sure, but I've never understood why this scenario is viewed as favorable. To me, Ash winning a League simply to lose against the E4 would be horrible. It'd be like climbing to a mountain's summit, only to get knocked back down by an avalanche.

The E4 are constantly depicted as being very tough.

And I don't think Ash losing has anything to do with a message, it's just executive meddling plain and simple.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom