• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why are Fairy Pokemon weak to Poison and Steel?

• Thread starter Deleted member 133294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 133294

Sorry if I am answering my own thread but I believe that the reasons Fairy is weak to Poison attacks is that fairies are beautiful and clean and represent nature and poison and dirt causes pollution and distroy beauty and destroy the environment. The reasoning is similar to the reason grass pokemon are weak to Poison.

Now I believe that Fairy is weak to steel because steel is artifitial and this type opposite to nature which is ones of tge meanings of the fairy type. Do you have another explanation?

I like the fairy type full of pretty and beautiful attacks and cute pokemon but was it created to make Poison and Steel Pokemon more desireable?

Fairies are week to steel because fairies in many stories have a weakness to cold iron, and steel is the closest we've got to to an iron-type. As for poison, I'm not as sure, though the reasoning you provide does make sense.

Fairy was created in major part to fix balance issues, but the main issue was not to help steel and poison types: the dragon-type at the time was dominating competitive near entirely, and it's only weakness outside of itself was pretty nonviable, so Fairy was made to help balance Dragon.

Last edited:
I also think that since most metals are shiny and reflect most light that reach it and fairy type also represent light then it is natural that steel resists fairy and is suppereffective against it.

Some steel Pokemon are actually robots and are therefore artifitial which means that technology has advantages over nature.

The weakness to Poison is straight from Peter Pan: Tinker Bell drank poison to save Peter but it nearly killed her.

Fairies have never been fond of iron and it was used as a charm against them back in the Middle Ages. Even now, a good number of neopagan books will tell you to keep a steel or iron key with you to ward off the fey. It's been part of their lore for years.

I mean personally I have a palm sized iron cauldron and I recently added an adorably small cast iron skillet to my collection of witchy things (it can fry a single egg and you're lucky it can do that!) but yeh an iron key would work just fine too. If I remember right from a book about myths and things from Ireland one story in it talked about how a father put iron nails in the windowsill and around the outer edge of his child's crib to protect it from getting swapped with a changeling or something. (Henlo yes I am a witch I love me my pagan mythologies and stuff.)

I didn't know that about tinker bell though! Then again I admittedly don't know a whole lot about all the fairy tales and things that Disney has taken hold of. Though I'm pretty sure anyone drinking poison would be nearly killed so she's not too special in that regard! xD

Man now I want more witchy pokemon. Oh man I want a variant of chimeco or something that's a classic bell. It could have an evolution that's like a bell from notra dam or something. I need to go to sleep. Friday can't get here fast enough I'm slipping into my pokemon hyperfixations again.

Yeah, nature would be the best explanation for poison. Although, it would be the sense where it is used to mean plants. Makes sense for Poison's other strength: Grass. (I know Grass isn't entirely plants, but nearly everything having to do with plants is Grass. The Japanese term, kusa, also both means grass or plants in general.

I took it to represent the encroachment of modernity and industrial civilization on tradition and the romantic fairy tale ideals of the past, but uh. Probably not Game Freak's intent.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom