• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Why are people saying the graphics are "bad"?

During the Iwata days, online services were free and the Virtual Console gradually became significant.

It's obviously just a hunch and I might be giving Iwata too much credit, but I don't think that Dexit would be a thing if he were alive.

I'm not sure if this belongs with "bad graphics" section, but one thing I've come to dislike in the 3DS games is how out of proportion the models are with the Pokemon's actual height. Look at Alolan Exeggcutor:View attachment 121114

See how its head goes off the screen, Aloan Exeggcutor is 35:09 inches, and goes off screen, yet Wailord who is 47 Ft .doesn't.
View attachment 121115
Now it could make sense on the 3DS due to technical limitations, but there's no reason for this on the Switch. I'm hoping for this to be fixed, but considering their using space on another gimmick that is going to be disbanded next gen makes me doubt it.
EDIT: More accurate depiction of Wailord's height.
View attachment 121116
You are gonna dislike that in sw/sh too. We've seen baby tyranitar in battle already. We are back to past.

I'm honestly not against Nintendo going for paid subscriptions for their online service. Online infrastructure is expensive to manage, so I can't exactly fault them for turning to this. And it is literally no different to what Microsoft and Sony do for their consoles, and yet people are fine with that.

What I am against are the abysmal pickings they offer for the service though that make the subscription not worth it. Unfortunately I still pay for it for the save data cloud. But at least it's only 25 dollars (Canadian price inflation) a year.

I'm honestly not against Nintendo going for paid subscriptions for their online service. Online infrastructure is expensive to manage, so I can't exactly fault them for turning to this. And it is literally no different to what Microsoft and Sony do for their consoles, and yet people are fine with that.

What I am against are the abysmal pickings they offer for the service though that make the subscription not worth it. Unfortunately I still pay for it for the save data cloud. But at least it's only 25 dollars (Canadian price inflation) a year.
The thing is, Nintendo doesn't have an online infrastructure. It's all peer-to-peer connections - essentially, you're just paying Nintendo to allow your console to use the Internet. Combined with them reselling NES games over and over, it's honestly a gigantic miracle that NSO has 10 million subs.

The thing is, Nintendo doesn't have an online infrastructure. It's all peer-to-peer connections - essentially, you're just paying Nintendo to allow your console to use the Internet. Combined with them reselling NES games over and over, it's honestly a gigantic miracle that NSO has 10 million subs.
Not really, when you think about Smash players who need Wifi to play with friends, let alone online.

Even peer-to-peer games need a central online server just to find available players.

2) They used visuals as justification for removing Pokemon you know the selling point of Pokemon.
As a matter of planning, GF knew that (1) the visuals needed to meet higher fidelity standards for the console, and (2) they only had so much available time to invest in the project. It's true that the graphics for Sword and Shield are higher quality, in the sense that this is the highest fidelity the main series has yet seen, and GF was likely referring to the overall quality on a large scale, despite the notorious examples of poor in-battle animations. But as an actual project, priorities were drawn and the creature animations for battle moves weren't one of them.

The battle animations aren't a bad system so much as GF doesn't have the resources to make the best use of it. There are good animations (Braixen's animation for Ember is a good match), even a few unique animations (Delphox and Mystical Fire are good; Incineroar and Darkest Lariat ... well, the "T" in "T-pose" stands for "terrible"), but the majority of move animations range from just okay to slightly disappointing. It's a problem that started in Gen 5, and has only been growing more noticeable ever since.

Last edited:
@Stratelier they mentioned specifically making Pokemon more expressive. The idle animations, and the like are the same, and significantly less expressive than the Orre games. THE ORRE GAMES!

Well, Hop's movements are basically the exact same as Hau's, so there's the issue of reusing character animations as well.

You are gonna dislike that in sw/sh too. We've seen baby tyranitar in battle already. We are back to past.

Honestly, instead of Dynamaxing, I wish they had simply made each Pokemon its exact proper scale. You may be able to justify the time it would take animators to do that at least. I'm starting to think more and more that the Orre games were (so far) the best implementation of a Pokemon 3D RPG.

@Stratelier they mentioned specifically making Pokemon more expressive. The idle animations, and the like are the same, and significantly less expressive than the Orre games. THE ORRE GAMES!
The ones developed by Genius Sorority and not Game Freak? With full Gen 3 National Pokedex support?

It must be weird when literally every other developer has been able to use your system better than you yourself. Somebody make side-by-side comparisons of old Pokemon performing the exact same moves in Stadium/PBR vs. Sword & Shield; THIS is what needs to go viral.

The fact that LGPE had it makes it feel like a downgrade to me, too.
Maybe proper scaled pokemon was Let's go exclusive. I mean, nowdays there is no pokemon game that has all the good features. Remember that people couldn't change clothes in oras because according to game freak customization was x/y exclusive?

Maybe proper scaled pokemon was Let's go exclusive. I mean, nowdays there is no pokemon game that has all the good features. Remember that people couldn't change clothes in oras because according to game freak customization was x/y exclusive?
Scaled Pokemon isn’t really a ‘feature’ like contests or amie, just a graphical update, and they haven’t really kept graphical updates exclusive before. They even added customisation back in.

Scaled Pokemon isn’t really a ‘feature’ like contests or amie, just a graphical update, and they haven’t really kept graphical updates exclusive before. They even added customisation back in.
I was joking. I honestly don't know why they keep doing this kind of weird choices. I can just joke about It.

So you know Game Freak's official statement that mentioned how the higher console specs mean they can be "more expressive" with the "graphics"?

Unfortunately, "expressiveness" is a statement made about EVERY media. And to quote an old saying, it's not about what you have but how you use it that ultimately counts.

Delphox, for example, has a nice design and is depicted well in the anime and manga ... but its default stance and lackluster animations in XY are a huge disappoint. Or look at how Incineroar's Darkest Lariat is rendered in Smash Bros. vs. in Sun and Moon. They could have given Incineroar some appropriate animation gesture to match the move, but instead Incineroar just spins around in a T-pose (the "Comic Sans of" animation gestures) ? As if Incineroar's stark design change (relative to Litten and Torracat) wasn't enough of a complaint already.

I'm starting to feel like Gen 8 will be an "off" generation for me, but more by actual choice this time (Gen 3 and especially 4 were "off" generations already, but mainly due to a lack of free time).

Yeah, the Darkest Lariat T-Pose bothered me too. And when Gumshoos uses the Normal-type Z-Move Breakneck Blitz, it charges in a T-Pose. Don't they have running animations for all the Pokémon?

Yeah, the Darkest Lariat T-Pose bothered me too. And when Gumshoos uses the Normal-type Z-Move Breakneck Blitz, it charges in a T-Pose. Don't they have running animations for all the Pokémon?
A lot of their z-move animations were like that. The biggest offender that comes to mind is when Kahili's Toucannon used it's z-move. Like, it literally just freefalls sideways at my Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom