• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Why are people saying the graphics are "bad"?

Tbqh, I don't even think the game looks bad. Sure, there's occasional shoddy texture work (like the infamous tree), but those are likelier to be fixed (we've already seen an upgrade in texture quality throughout the trailers, plus they have almost definitely fixed the tree considering all of the eyes on it). The game only looks bad aesthetically when it's storming, which drains all of the color.
However, there is one part of the game I think looks truly unacceptable: the animation, aka what GF used to defend their decision. Tail Whip is still just moving the model, Double Kick is a hop and a JPEG, and this isn't even getting into stuff like how Dynamaxed Charizard shoots Flamethrower from its shoulder. The looks of all that make me wonder what the hell is wrong with Nintendo's publishing standards and why they won't intervene to help the game look better.

correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure this was also a problem in some LGPE trailers, but it was fixed in the full release. there's a reason why they put the "game footage not final" note in there.

difference there is that Exeggutor is only large vertically. its head goes off the screen, but otherwise it fills the same amount of space as any other Pokémon. Wailord is large in every dimension; it would look incredibly awkward if it were scaled to full size on the battlefield, because it would blot everything out.
I agree, and I mentioned that it was probably due to technical limitations, which I can accept I’m just saying that shouldn’t be an issue on the Switch due to more a powerful engine and bigger screen.

BTW, here's a better example: Mega Rayquaza is roughly the same height as Alolan Exeggutor, yet its never shown off like 3DS. Just shows Alolan Exeggutor has had special treatment.

It certainly looks good in PBR.

PBR has a lot more space on the battlefield. And near as I can tell, it doesn't keep the camera mostly fixed from your Trainer's POV.

you're right it's not the quality we're used to; we're used to even worse.

it's not that people don't care about quality, but it's also about having realistic expectations. like, i don't know where you've been for the past couple of decades, but Pokemon games' graphics have pretty much always been mediocre to sub-par. hell, it's only in the the 3DS era that they've even gotten an ounce closer to being vaguely on par with other games.
I'm not talking about the graphical style, but actual buggy graphics, inconsistent low-res textures and other oddities.

@Oriden You should look at that Lapras part again in the trailer; the water doesn't move when something else swims/falls into it. No reactionary rippling effects. It makes for a very contrasted look. Also, the Mantine-splashes are in the air and of a different graphical style than the 3D water.

I do wonder if they’re going to match the size of the Pokémon in battle to their real one.

While the trailers has shown improvements in shading, textures and lighting (by checking similar shots in the first and last trailer), I’m not too worried of tree textures and the rest of the glitches and problems seen to be fixed, but for Pokémon size, the very fact that they added Wailord to the dex, given that there’s a cut going on, tells me they might not be too focused about about realistic size in combat (Wailor’s width might be too much for the stadium as it is); it also clashes with the Dynamax feature, because people are obviously wanting to see an increase in its size....and I don’t see it happening if its scale is down in combat.

Though to be fair, I also don’t see how on earth we could find one in the open world; maybe in some sea route? The wild lands don’t have a water mass big enough.

The looks of all that make me wonder what the hell is wrong with Nintendo's publishing standards and why they won't intervene to help the game look better.

Not necessarily the graphics, but in general I have to wonder why Nintendo hasn't stepped in to fix this mess. They can't be happy with what's transpired with this game, they're very gamer friendly and tend to push for a certain level of quality for their games. They'd never subject fans to an issue like Dexit if they absolutely didn't have to, so why aren't they pushing Game Freak to fix this? How could they possibly be okay with letting them release the game in this state?

I'd draw a distinction between Iwata's Nintendo and 2018-present Nintendo (Iwata put the Switch's first year in motion).

Though to be fair, I also don’t see how on earth we could find one in the open world; maybe in some sea route? The wild lands don’t have a water mass big enough.
Wailmer. Speaking of which, Mantine looks really out of place in a lake.

Not necessarily the graphics, but in general I have to wonder why Nintendo hasn't stepped in to fix this mess. They can't be happy with what's transpired with this game, they're very gamer friendly and tend to push for a certain level of quality for their games. They'd never subject fans to an issue like Dexit if they absolutely didn't have to, so why aren't they pushing Game Freak to fix this? How could they possibly be okay with letting them release the game in this state?

You’re assuming that Nintendo isn’t okay with the decision. We don’t know if they had something to do with it, either directly or indirectly. I’m quite certain that they wouldn’t want the game to be delayed for the dex issue.

Regardless, it’s hard to believe that TPCi/GF took the decision without Nintendo having a say in it, even after the issue exploded. They could’ve forced or directed GF to also leave things uncertain for the future, with the interview and statement Masuda did after the reveal. The fact that the position didn’t change means that nobody that has the power to shift it likely don’t have a problem with it.

Also, I wouldn’t exactly call Nintendo ‘user-friendly’ when their games of old consoles still cost a lot years and years later.

I'd draw a distinction between Iwata's Nintendo and 2018-present Nintendo (Iwata put the Switch's first year in motion).

Wailmer. Speaking of which, Mantine looks really out of place in a lake.

Of course, though I figured with the system in place they might want to have all Pokémon being somehow available in the wild, as they’re doing it likely with pseudo’s final forms.

Gonna be interesting looking back on all this in a year.

If yearly releases hold true then it will probably be Let's Go 2 that people are focused on by then. Temporarily forgetting about their friends rotting in Pokemon Prison Home... I don't see much changing within Game Freak unless the reviews for Sword n Shield are lower, and more importantly, the sells.

At this point I hope Nintendo just fully takes over the series. A BOTW tier game won't be happening unless you have the necessary time, resources, and patience to carefully make the game as good as it can be. This is ultimately what it comes down to. Game Freak's entire philosophy runs counter to other developers who work on AAA titles. Developers of those series count on either replay-ability (quality) and DLC releases to keep their titles relevant.

I understand that Game Freak is not as big of a studio, but they should have alleviated that issue ages ago. Even if they did, they still need to do away with the thinking that Pokemon games are akin to Smartphone releases. One is arguably essential to everyday function, the other honestly is not. Technology is moving faster and children don't have the time to sit, relax, think and engage themselves anymore? Seems like a good rest of the gaming industry disagrees with that assessment.

I now want a Pokemon title that fully rejects everything that Game Freak thinks the modern world is suppose to be about. I want to play that damn game and forget that my smartphone even exist, yet alone obsolete within the year like their current titles.

Kinda like XB2 , I doubt they care enough to delay it.
They want to please investors and after AC lost 2b yen after its delay so SWSH has to make those Holiday sales to please them.
Espcially with the games being used as a vehicle for the Switch Lite.

It's a pre-release build. LGPE had people floating above staircases when it was presented on E3 last year.

If yearly releases hold true then it will probably be Let's Go 2 that people are focused on by then. Temporarily forgetting about their friends rotting in Pokemon Prison Home... I don't see much changing within Game Freak unless the reviews for Sword n Shield are lower, and more importantly, the sells.

At this point I hope Nintendo just fully takes over the series. A BOTW tier game won't be happening unless you have the necessary time, resources, and patience to carefully make the game as good as it can be. This is ultimately what it comes down to. Game Freak's entire philosophy runs counter to other developers who work on AAA titles. Developers of those series count on either replay-ability (quality) and DLC releases to keep their titles relevant.

I understand that Game Freak is not as big of a studio, but they should have alleviated that issue ages ago. Even if they did, they still need to do away with the thinking that Pokemon games are akin to Smartphone releases. One is arguably essential to everyday function, the other honestly is not. Technology is moving faster and children don't have the time to sit, relax, think and engage themselves anymore? Seems like a good rest of the gaming industry disagrees with that assessment.

I now want a Pokemon title that fully rejects everything that Game Freak thinks the modern world is suppose to be about. I want to play that damn game and forget that my smartphone even exist, yet alone obsolete within the year like their current titles.

You’re assuming that Nintendo isn’t content with the situation. It owns a third of TPCi, and I quite doubt they have no say on the development of Pokémon games.

As well, if they wanted a BOTW kind of game, they could’ve very well brought on SwSh some of their internal teams to help with development, as they did with BOTW and BOTW2, apparently.

As hard as it is to accept, we should consider that Nintendo may share the same ideas for Pokémon of GF.

Eh, not really. Even post-Iwata, Nintendo's been pushing for high quality experiences full of content.

You’re assuming that Nintendo isn’t okay with the decision. We don’t know if they had something to do with it, either directly or indirectly. I’m quite certain that they wouldn’t want the game to be delayed for the dex issue.

Miyamoto has famously said "A delayed game is eventually good but a rushed game is forever bad". So yeah, I think they would delay the game to fix the Dex issue.

Regardless, it’s hard to believe that TPCi/GF took the decision without Nintendo having a say in it, even after the issue exploded. They could’ve forced or directed GF to also leave things uncertain for the future, with the interview and statement Masuda did after the reveal. The fact that the position didn’t change means that nobody that has the power to shift it likely don’t have a problem with it.

You’re assuming that Nintendo isn’t content with the situation. It owns a third of TPCi, and I quite doubt they have no say on the development of Pokémon games.

Just because they have a say doesn't mean they can control TPC to this degree. 1/3 control isn't a majority, if GF and Creatures both disagree with them, they're going to get overruled. And I think that's what's going on here, GF and Creatures are the ones pushing for cheap, low budget games getting rushed out the door and Nintendo wants the opposite, but they don't have majority control so they can't do anything about it.

Also, I wouldn’t exactly call Nintendo ‘user-friendly’ when their games of old consoles still cost a lot years and years later.

Nintendo has no control over that. They've stopped manufacturing them and they're all being sold second hand based on how much they think people would want them. If anything that reflects well on them because it means their games are highly desirable.

As for why I say they're consumer friendly, it's because of things like including as much of what fans want as they can, spending extra time polishing their games, and avoiding predatory business practices such as on disc DLC and microtransactions. They've shown in multiple ways that they don't just care about making a quick buck, they want to create a quality product worthy of that money.

As well, if they wanted a BOTW kind of game, they could’ve very well brought on SwSh some of their internal teams to help with development, as they did with BOTW and BOTW2, apparently.

Again, they may have gotten overruled. And it's not just bringing in more people, they may also need to spend more development time. And Nintendo definitely can't force that.

Eh, not really. Even post-Iwata, Nintendo's been pushing for high quality experiences full of content.

Miyamoto has famously said "A delayed game is eventually good but a rushed game is forever bad". So yeah, I think they would delay the game to fix the Dex issue.

Just because they have a say doesn't mean they can control TPC to this degree. 1/3 control isn't a majority, if GF and Creatures both disagree with them, they're going to get overruled. And I think that's what's going on here, GF and Creatures are the ones pushing for cheap, low budget games getting rushed out the door and Nintendo wants the opposite, but they don't have majority control so they can't do anything about it.

Nintendo has no control over that. They've stopped manufacturing them and they're all being sold second hand based on how much they think people would want them. If anything that reflects well on them because it means their games are highly desirable.

As for why I say they're consumer friendly, it's because of things like including as much of what fans want as they can, spending extra time polishing their games, and avoiding predatory business practices such as on disc DLC and microtransactions. They've shown in multiple ways that they don't just care about making a quick buck, they want to create a quality product worthy of that money.

Again, they may have gotten overruled. And it's not just bringing in more people, they may also need to spend more development time. And Nintendo definitely can't force that.

To think that just because Nintendo has a third of control of TPCi they can’t have leverage is naive.

To be clear, I’m not saying that Nintendo is necessarily agreeing with this decision, but this whole Nintendo-good and GF/Creatures-bad idea is without a foundament. And I’m not going to entertain the part about GF intentionally making a cheap low budget game because it shows how partial you are on the issue. The games haven’t been out yet. The games might be full packed of content and well made, and while it won’t necessarily justify the absence of the full dex or technical issues, it’d mean that they worked hard on the game and they aren’t ‘cheap’. To judge a game before release is wrong, both when it looks good or bad.

We have no clue on what is actually going on behind the scenes. Is it possible that Nintendo is against the dex removal, and possibly wants to make a greater game? Sure. It’s also possible that they’re quite content with the situation that is going on, as well as even be the ones suggesting the dex cut, with GF agreeing with them. Unless Nintendo makes a public statement, or a leak happens about their discontent, all you’re saying is hypothetical and wishful thinking.

I do think it’s more likely that Nintendo is behind or Okay with the dex cut then Masuda being happy or the one that’s suggested it, for example, given how much he suffered from a similar situation and backlash in the past.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom