• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

why are Poison Pokemon weak to Psyquic attacks?

• Thread starter Deleted member 133294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 133294

I think this is out of logic. Why would poison be weak to psyquic moves? Of course it make sense for fight type pokemon be weak to psyquic(and psyquic resist figthing since paranormal skills outgrow physical strenght) but I believe that psyquic should actually be weak to Poison because the brain is the first organ that many poisons and toxins attack. But it could be that the brain power could be smart enough to create antidotes(this is true) I think that the Pokemon developers made it that way in order to psyquic moves to be more useful. But the psyquic type already have ones of the most powerfuk moves in the games since Generation 1.

But Poison is already one of the best defensive type by both experience and reading the Pokemon Wiki. So it must be an issue of the balancing of the types. In generation 1

Did I answered my own question?

1. Psychic types are often described in the dex as highly intelligent. Alakazam and Metagross being examples off the top of my head. Intelligence can be used to beat poison by being able to create cures and antidotes or avoid being poisoned in the first place. After all in real life the best way to avoid getting poisoned whether by harmful substance or venomous life form is knowing better. That said circumstances beyond one's control can still lead to poisoning which is why Psychic only does super effective and does not have a resistance.

2. Telekinesis vs Venomous creature: There's a fan fic I read that tries to explain the match up like this. Poison is weak to Psychic because Psychic types can use their most basic power (telekinesis) to attack the poison producing organs of poison types and damage the source of their type and power. An example would be a snake like Arbok having its venom glands crushed by telekinesis and as a result not being able to produce venom. Doesn't perfectly explain why non animal Poison types would have that weakness. Perhaps Psychic types can fiddle with chemicals or other toxic substances in their bodies indirectly and cause them to become something harmful to the Poison type like detonating the gas inside a Weezing.

Obviously, the contradiction came in Gen 6, when they made science afraid of magic, magic being the new Fairy type. Fairy is like the 2nd magic element, after Psychic.

But I'm sure back in Gen 1, it was a type balance issue. Else Psychic was only super effective to 1 thing.

Obviously, the contradiction came in Gen 6, when they made science afraid of magic, magic being the new Fairy type. Fairy is like the 2nd magic element, after Psychic.

But I'm sure back in Gen 1, it was a type balance issue. Else Psychic was only super effective to 1 thing.
But Dragon is only super effective against itself and nobody complains.

The Normal type is not super effective against nobody and everybody accept it. Well there would be no logic to explain the super effectiveness

Great minds create antidotes to poison. I'd always thought this interaction was as clear as Water vs Fire.

Maybe the Psychic-types can use their telekinesis and knowledge to manipulate the composition of the poisons within Poison-types, turning it into a a special panacea that is specifically harmful to Poison-types, and in turn causing super-effective damage. Similarly to what Steel_Justice said.

If that's the case, it'd be interesting to see them create a Psychic-type move that specifically removes the Poison status, to reinforce this association.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom