• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why are so many dragons part-Flying or part-Ground?

BettyN

Reaction score
Is it me, or is Dragon the least diverse Type ever?

There are, currently, 13 fully-evolved Dragon Types who are neither Legendaries or Mega Evolutions. Yes, that's a low number, but what's even lower is the number of those dragons who have a dual type that isn't Flying or Ground:

Four.

Kingdra (Water/Dragon), Hydreigon (Dark/Dragon), Dragalge (Poison/Dragon), and Tyrantrum (Rock/Dragon). That's it. Only one of those even existed before Gen 5, and two--half of them--were only introduced in the most recent Generation.

What gives? Why is Game Freak so unwilling to make non-Legendary, non-Mega dragons who aren't monotype, Dragon/Flying, or Dragon/Ground?

You could say that they wanted most non-Legendary dragons to have a 4x Ice weakness, but if that's the case, then why haven't we seen a Dragon/Grass? And, why did they make Kingdra, Hydreigon, and the monotype dragons? Besides, it's not like Ice is the only thing that's strong against Dragon anymore.

As much as people joked about Lance being a "Flying Master," that's the sad reality of the Dragon Type. Most people aren't going to use Legendaries, and you can only have one Mega, so a mono-Dragon team would inevitably be one full of Flying or Ground Types. And, that's just boring.

No, I don't want Dragon to have numbers like Water, but a little more variety would be nice.

Dragons were originally meant to be a rare and powerful type. So of course it makes sense that you wouldn't see a lot of interesting type combinations until recently, there were only a handful introduced at a time and many of them had to be given a crippling weakness for balance purposes. As for why Dragon/Grass was never a thing, IDK. Maybe they just didn't have a good idea for one. It doesn't really fit any of the older Pokemon except Sceptile, and he couldn't have it because he was a starter (Dragon resists all of the starter types, so it would be OP compared to the other two).

Being a rare type isn't necessarily a good excuse for a lack of diversity. Look at Ghost, for example. It actually has even fewer total members than Dragon, albeit more non-Legendaries and non-Megas, and it's still gotten paired with a decent variety of Types:

Gengar (Poison), Shedinja (Bug), Sableye & Spiritomb (Dark), Drifblim (Flying), Froslass (Ice), Rotom (Electric), Jellicent (Water), Chandelure (Fire), Golurk (Ground), Aegislash (Steel), and Trevenant & Gourgeist (Grass).

As of now, there are only six Types that don't have, at least, one non-Legendary ghost--Psychic, Normal, Fighting, Rock, Fairy, and of course, Dragon. Compared to the eleven Types that don't have a non-Legendary, non-Mega dragon, that's not bad.

Is it too much to ask for Dragon to, at least, be as diverse as Ghost?

I always thought it was because most dragons in mythology were either flying dragons or land dragons.

Being a rare type isn't necessarily a good excuse for a lack of diversity. Look at Ghost, for example. It actually has even fewer total members than Dragon, albeit more non-Legendaries and non-Megas, and it's still gotten paired with a decent variety of Types:

Gengar (Poison), Shedinja (Bug), Sableye & Spiritomb (Dark), Drifblim (Flying), Froslass (Ice), Rotom (Electric), Jellicent (Water), Chandelure (Fire), Golurk (Ground), Aegislash (Steel), and Trevenant & Gourgeist (Grass).

As of now, there are only six Types that don't have, at least, one non-Legendary ghost--Psychic, Normal, Fighting, Rock, Fairy, and of course, Dragon. Compared to the eleven Types that don't have a non-Legendary, non-Mega dragon, that's not bad.

Is it too much to ask for Dragon to, at least, be as diverse as Ghost?

It's a combination of it being rare and powerful though. Dragon was a pretty strong type originally, and most of them were either legendaries or pseudo legendaries. Only now that Fairy's around have they started to change things. Ghost didn't have the same problems, it wasn't quite as OP and its weaknesses weren't as rare.

I imagine that future generations will give us more interesting type combinations, give it time. There are types that are worse on type combinations anyway, like Normal and Electric.

It's a combination of it being rare and powerful though. Dragon was a pretty strong type originally, and most of them were either legendaries or pseudo legendaries. Only now that Fairy's around have they started to change things. Ghost didn't have the same problems, it wasn't quite as OP and its weaknesses weren't as rare.

I'd accept that argument if it wasn't for the fact that most of the more interesting Type combos were given to the Legendary Dragons--Lati Twins (Psychic), Dialga (Steel), Palkia (Water), Giratina (Ghost), Reshiram (Fire), Zekrom (Electric), and Kyurem (Ice). And, let's not forget the Megas, which usually have similarly inflated stats--Charizard X (Fire), Ampharos (Electric), Sceptile (Grass), and Altaria (Fairy). In fact, with Legendary and Mega dragons, Flying and Ground Types are a minority.

And, even if the 4x Ice weakness really was needed to "balance" the Pseudos, then what about the dragons who were neither Legendary or Pseudo-Legendary? Like, how in the world was Flygon overpowered? Why did it need a 4x Ice weakness to be "balanced"? How would it have been OP as a Bug/Dragon?

It's even more true for Altaria. Why couldn't they just have retyped it to Dragon/Fairy instead of waiting until its Mega? It was never going to be even remotely OP, regardless of its secondary Type. The 4x Ice weakness, if anything, only makes it weaker than it already is.

And, that's not even getting to the various non-Dragon Types that could've easily been Dragon, such as Ampharos (its Japanese name means "Electric Dragon"), Tropius, and Yanmega.

And, that still doesn't explain Hydreigon being both a Pseudo and part-Dark instead of Flying or Ground. And, it was introduced in the Generation before fairies came around.

And, I also disagree that Dragon's weaknesses were less common than Ghost's. Not in a game where nearly every Water Type sans Magikarp, plus a ton of Pokémon of other Types, can learn, at least, one Ice attack. And, the 4x weakness of the Flying and Ground types only makes them easier to KO without STAB. On the flip-side, the distribution of Ghost and Dark attacks is somewhat lower, and few of them are as strong or as reliable as Ice Beam.

I guess it was to make them less powerful by being 4x weak to Ice. And probably mostly based on mythology, as Dragons are usually portrayed as flying serpents (like Gyarados... that isn't a dragon type...) and for ground, no clue?

So with Fairys now introduced... yeah it was kinda unnecessary, just buff up the Ice type and all would have been good.

I guess it was to make them less powerful by being 4x weak to Ice.

I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that the majority of the very strongest dragons (ie. Legendaries) *aren't* 4x weak to Ice. Or, the fact that we still don't have a Grass/Dragon that isn't a Mega Evolution.

Besides, the only Dragon combo that was truly overpowered before Gen 6 was Water/Dragon, which was only weak to Dragon attacks. The others still all had common weaknesses, even without a 4x Ice weakness:

Grass/Dragon: Ice (4x), Flying, Bug, Poison
Fire/Dragon: Ground, Rock
Electric/Dragon: Ice, Ground
Bug/Dragon: Ice, Flying, Rock
Poison/Dragon: Ice, Ground, Psychic
Rock/Dragon: Ice, Ground, Fighting, Steel
Ice/Dragon: Fighting, Steel, Rock
Steel/Dragon: Ground, Fighting
Dark/Dragon: Ice, Bug, Fighting
Psychic/Dragon: Ice, Bug, Dark, Ghost
Ghost/Dragon: Ice, Dark, Ghost
Fighting/Dragon: Ice, Flying, Psychic
Normal/Dragon: Ice, Fighting

All but three are weak to Ice, and the three that aren't are still weak to either Ground or Fighting, two of the most common offensive types. Maybe, some of these combos would've been OP on a Pseudo, but not on a dragon at the level of Flygon or Altaria, who are already balanced by having lower stats.

And probably mostly based on mythology, as Dragons are usually portrayed as flying serpents (like Gyarados... that isn't a dragon type...) and for ground, no clue?

Not all Pokémon with wings are Flying Type, though--Think Clefable or Venomoth. Plus, Fairy Dragons, Water Dragons, and Forest Dragons are a thing:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fairy+dragon&client=firefox-a&hs=BjB&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=bg0vVJGJO_H_sAS_g4CAAw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=587
https://www.google.com/search?q=water+dragon&client=firefox-a&hs=83q&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gw0vVLvPAYTGsQSJ-YCoAg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=587
https://www.google.com/search?q=forest+dragon&client=firefox-a&hs=BPW&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=mQ0vVIfiNdfesATZm4GgCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=587

Hell, even the most "classic" and "stereotypical" depictions of dragons usually depict them breathing fire... So, where are the Fire/Dragon types?

So with Fairys now introduced... yeah it was kinda unnecessary, just buff up the Ice type and all would have been good.

I like the idea of the Fairy Type, but I agree that Ice should've been made a lot stronger. The biggest problem is that the type is full of so many slow, defensive Pokémon for having so many weaknesses and no resistances.

Here are the average base stats of fully-evolved Ice Types (taken from Bulbapedia):

HP: 81.89
Attack: 83.36
Defense: 83.26
Sp. Attack: 90.37
Sp. Defense: 93.26
Speed: 79.21
Total: 511.26

Now, here's a comparable offensive type, Fire:

HP: 82.30
Attack: 94.48
Defense: 81.85
Sp. Attack: 105.78
Sp. Defense: 88.04
Speed: 80.93
Total: 533.37

Fire Types are strong against the exact same number of things as Ice (4 types), yet have 1 fewer weakness and far more resistances. And, yet, they still have better stats, all-around, especially in the areas that matter, like Attack and Special Attack.

Here's another comparable offensive type, Ground:

HP: 88.97
Attack: 102.48
Defense: 96.97
Sp. Attack: 70.72
Sp. Defense: 76.34
Speed: 65.97
Total: 501.45

Ground is effective against 5 types (1 more than Ice), while having 2 resistances, 3 weaknesses, and 1 immunity. Many of them are slow and defensive (even moreso than Ice), but they still have actual attacking power and far better bulk, to boot.

And, let's not forget Dragon:

HP: 97.32
Attack: 116.63
Defense: 95.53
Sp. Attack: 110.00
Sp. Defense: 98.68
Speed: 92.11
Total: 610.27

Yes, all of the Legendaries and Pseudos skew these numbers, but that still doesn't make it any less fair. Their average stats are higher than that of Ice Types in every single way.

Sadly, though, it doesn't seem like GF has any interest in fixing the Ice Type. It received no changes in the Type Chart, and it still has the fewest Megas out of any type. And, the two new Ice Types they introduced this Gen--Aurorus and Avalugg--are, yet, a couple of more slow, defensive Pokémon with underwhelming stats, abilities, and movepools. It seems like they just want to brush the type under the rug and forget that it ever existed.

Fairies weren't ONLY made to counter Dragons, it was also made to buff Poison and Steel and also to turn down the usage of Fighting types, so it was actualy necessary because buffing only Ice to counter Dragons wouldn't help Poison or Steel at all. The Dark resistance was probably made because Steel lost the resistance to it, but doesn't explain Ghost not being to weak to Fairy, and the Bug resistance was the only unnecessary thing about Fairy, they should have made Fairy resistant to Ghost instead.

Fairies weren't ONLY made to counter Dragons, it was also made to buff Poison and Steel and also to turn down the usage of Fighting types, so it was actualy necessary because buffing only Ice to counter Dragons wouldn't help Poison or Steel at all. The Dark resistance was probably made because Steel lost the resistance to it, but doesn't explain Ghost not being to weak to Fairy, and the Bug resistance was the only unnecessary thing about Fairy, they should have made Fairy resistant to Ghost instead.

Oh I didn't mean the type was pointless, I meant it being super effective against dragons was pointless. The immunity against dragons I do agree with.

I'd accept that argument if it wasn't for the fact that most of the more interesting Type combos were given to the Legendary Dragons--Lati Twins (Psychic), Dialga (Steel), Palkia (Water), Giratina (Ghost), Reshiram (Fire), Zekrom (Electric), and Kyurem (Ice).

Aside from the Latis, none of those Pokemon really make sense as Dragon/Grass, Dragon/Flying, or Dragon/Ground. And even in the Latis case, Psychic fits them better because they actually have Psychic powers and can communicate using telepathy.

And, let's not forget the Megas, which usually have similarly inflated stats--Charizard X (Fire), Ampharos (Electric), Sceptile (Grass), and Altaria (Fairy). In fact, with Legendary and Mega dragons, Flying and Ground Types are a minority.

2 of those are starters that they couldn't make Dragon for balancing reasons. Ampharos IDK, frankly there's nothing solid connecting it to Dragon in the first place, but maybe it's because they thought Electric/Dragon would be too OP. As for Altaria, Dragon/Flying completely fit it, there's nothing about its base form that gives it a stronger connection to Fairy.

And, even if the 4x Ice weakness really was needed to "balance" the Pseudos, then what about the dragons who were neither Legendary or Pseudo-Legendary? Like, how in the world was Flygon overpowered? Why did it need a 4x Ice weakness to be "balanced"? How would it have been OP as a Bug/Dragon?

Ground fits it much more than Bug, it's supposed to be a desert spirit.

And, that's not even getting to the various non-Dragon Types that could've easily been Dragon, such as Ampharos (its Japanese name means "Electric Dragon"), Tropius, and Yanmega.

Putting a pun in a Pokemon's name isn't really enough to make it a Dragon type, I mean suppose I called an ant a dragon, does that automatically make it one? Does its biology automatically make it draconic? Not really.

As for Yanmega, once again it's a scenario where you're trying to shoehorn in another type where two types fit it better. It's a bug, and it flies, hence Bug/Flying. That's actually a similar scenario for Ampharos actually, it's called a "dragonfly" but really doesn't act like a dragon. Maybe when it gets a Mega it could be Bug/Dragon, but I'm not even sure about that, the Japanese name for dragonfly might not even reference dragons.

No clue on Tropius.

And, that still doesn't explain Hydreigon being both a Pseudo and part-Dark instead of Flying or Ground. And, it was introduced in the Generation before fairies came around.

Perhaps they made it Dark/Dragon in anticipation of Fairy types, I mean at that point they were probably thinking of what they wanted to do for XY.

Aside from the Latis, none of those Pokemon really make sense as Dragon/Grass, Dragon/Flying, or Dragon/Ground. And even in the Latis case, Psychic fits them better because they actually have Psychic powers and can communicate using telepathy.

Of course, Captain Obvious.:rolleyes: GF purposefully made the Legendary dragons more interesting, while making the non-Legendary ones a bunch of boring Flying and Ground types. You know, for "balance."

Ampharos IDK, frankly there's nothing solid connecting it to Dragon in the first place, but maybe it's because they thought Electric/Dragon would be too OP.

Again, its Japanese name means "Electric Dragon," and it has an upright, bipedal wool-free appearance, like a cross between a Dragon and a Sheep. (Plus, Clair used one in Stadium 2, and Lance had one in the TCG. Yes, the early Gens were limited on Dragon Types, but they both still tended to use dragon-like Pokémon.)

And, how would've Electric/Dragon been OP? Definitely not in Ampharos' introductory region, where the last 3 gyms were Steel, Ice, and Dragon. Plus, Amphy doesn't exactly have Dragonite-level stats. And, this was the same Generation that introduced Kingdra, which had a type combo that actually WAS OP at the time. (At least, Amphy would've still had weaknesses besides Dragon.)

As for Altaria, Dragon/Flying completely fit it, there's nothing about its base form that gives it a stronger connection to Fairy.

Not any more than Marill... Oh, wait.:rolleyes: It's cute, fluffy, and sings, just like Jigglypuff or Clefairy. Can't that be enough?

But, oh no, Dragons are all "OP." They must be a bunch of generic, boring Flying and Ground Types, dammit! :rolleyes:

Ground fits it much more than Bug, it's supposed to be a desert spirit.

It's an antilion, which is a BUG, and it's also in the BUG Egg Group. Everything about it screams BUG. But, that would've been too interesting, apparently, and we can't have that. Non-legendary dragons need to be boring.

As for Yanmega, once again it's a scenario where you're trying to shoehorn in another type where two types fit it better. It's a bug, and it flies, hence Bug/Flying. That's actually a similar scenario for Ampharos actually, it's called a "dragonfly" but really doesn't act like a dragon. Maybe when it gets a Mega it could be Bug/Dragon, but I'm not even sure about that, the Japanese name for dragonfly might not even reference dragons.

Beedrill and Venomoth fly and have wings, should they be Bug/Flying as well?

And, how should a dragon "act," since you're oh-so-obviously the Grand Poobah of Right and Wrong in Pokémon. Please, tell us simpletons what a Dragon is "supposed" to look and act like with your all-knowing wisdom. :rolleyes:

Perhaps they made it Dark/Dragon in anticipation of Fairy types, I mean at that point they were probably thinking of what they wanted to do for XY.

Pffft, you really believe that GF was planning Fairy all the way back in BW? Give me a break! :rolleyes:

Because most dragons from European and Asian myth have the ability to fly with or without wings. There might be some Dragon Pokémon that are also Ground type because the Ground represents somewhat the earth and dragons are generally thought in mythology and fiction to be very ancient beings just as old as the very ground they walk.

I think that some nerfing was necessary to keep Dragons in check. Remember, Dragons-type Pokemon have really wide movepools, so what looks like a type advantage isn't necessarily as such if there are counters. I think this is particularly the case in later generations where there are more variety of non-Dragon-type moves, and more Dragons that can learn them.

Sending an Ice type against Dragons is pretty risky as the latter may know a steel/fire-type move. Heck, even just a high (Sp) Attack + STAB-Dragon combo can 1-2HKO the former as Ice-types don't resist Dragon-type attacks. Sending a Water type may also be risky if the Dragon knows an Electric type move. Sending a Fairy type is also possibly risky if said Dragon type knows Steel/Poison-type move. (Case in point: My Haxorus in Y knows Poison Jab against Fairies.)

The point is, we can't be as certain for Dragon type Pokémon's movepools compared to Pokémon of other types, and thus it's inherently riskier.

Last edited:
Need anyone remind you Betty, that while you complain about Flygon being just another "Boring" Dragon/Ground type, he was the first. If anything that makes Garchomp unoriginal. And on the topic of Yanmega, the Japanese word for dragon is Doragon whereas their word for dragonfly is Tonbo. Their being no similarities there, I don't think Yanmega is going to be dragon type anytime soon.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom