• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why are the US so backward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicy Jazzy

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but,

Why do the US insist on using Farenheit(sp) when the rest of the world use Celcius?

Why do the US use miles when the rest of the world use Kilometres?

Why do the US use HDradio when the rest of the world use DAB or DAB+?

Backwards isn't the right word... it's more of unique.

And to answer your question, I think it's simply because we're isolated from the rest of the 1st world (with the exception of Canada, which is just our hat anyways). Europe as a whole chose standards because it was necessary for trading, communication etc.

But the USA didn't need to because we were mostly a self contained entity during the 18th and 19th centuries (when Europe was starting to unify and standardize). And when the imperialist movement hit, Europe spread their standards to the rest of the world when they took the other nations as colonies. Since America had few colonies, their systems didn't spread.

And about Canada, they were always a lot closer to the British Empire than we were.

And since America was such a giant power (there's a reason the UN is headquartered in New York and the standard language of global dealings for now is English), no one was going to pressure us to change our ways. And we weren't going to get the rest of the world to change. So that's the long answer to your question.

Of course, that's all just an educated guess.

Sorry to burst your little bubble, but we do use Metric. We use it in biology and other sciences, where it's important. Our scientists don't go around using English measurements, they use Metric like everyone else.

Now if you're curious why the "public" form of measurement is English rather than Metric, then I'll explain that. The reason is because English is more efficient. It deals with specifics much more easily, while Metric's only benefit is being easier to add and subtract. English doesn't need to be replaced, but revised.

Oh, and drop the "the US is so backwards" arrogance. Go read some science fiction if you want to see us using it.

The reason is because English is more efficient. It deals with specifics much more easily, while Metric's only benefit is being easier to add and subtract.

I don't quite agree with that, but that might very well be because I'm raised with the metric system, so that's obviously the reason to why I think so. I find it to be way more practical to measure my height in meters and centimeters than feet and inches, its more exact.

However, when it comes to science, the SI-system is the system that is used anyways, even in the US, is it not?

I actually read that in a book, so I can try to find it again for the exact statement... The details escape me, but the gist is that our system of measurement (the English system) isn't as outdated or inefficient as most people assume. I don't remember the exact reason why, but it said that it would be far better to simply slightly revise the system than to outright replace it.

Why do the US use a z, not S?

Why do the US drop the U?

Why do the US replace Us with Os?

etc

---

=\ Honestly, I think they only did it to separate themselves from the English-British. If only Charles didn't get hit by that cricket ball, gone mad, died from it and didn't lose the war...

The U.S. uses the metric system in the science industry, especially in the military and research. And Liberia uses the English-system, so the U.S. isn't so unique. =P

I prefer using F over C in temperatures, due to the more precision it can be in the weather. 0-10 is super cold, 15-20 is freezing, 20-32 Gah, 32-50 Tolerable, 60-70 Getting warm, etc. With Celsius it's only 100 units. :/

From what I understand the U.S. tried metrification back in the 1970s with nasty results. And the UK still hasn't completely switched over to metric just yet. ;D

I prefer using F over C in temperatures, due to the more precision it can be in the weather. 0-10 is super cold, 15-20 is freezing, 20-32 Gah, 32-50 Tolerable, 60-70 Getting warm, etc. With Celsius it's only 100 units. :/

Just 100 units? I don't quite understand what you mean, cause I'm quite sure we've got more than 100 units...

@H-Con: Sorry, I meant a 100 units between the boiling point and the freezing point of water. >_>

I personally prefer the metric system. I like nice, even intervals that are easy to calculate. With the metric system, well, there you go.

Something that I'd like to know is why we call football soccer, and give the name (which more fits the former) to a game and barely involves kicking at all. The latter is more handball, really.

Also the whole of the UK uses the same metric system the US does, at least when it comes to cars. Yes I am basing this off of Top Gear.

1) Cuz they wanna
2) Cuz they wanna
3) Cuz they wanna
I know cuz I'm an American from Eastern United States

With respect to the spelling differences, that's because Webster decided in the...1830's, I believe, to make American spelling easier.

Color and Colour are pronounced the same but the American version is "easier" to spell. Theater over Theatre, similarly, makes it easier to educate a previously-not-that-literate populace. He made the language more phonetic.

Saying "Liberia too!" isn't a great example; it's a state made of former American slaves. But I do find the foot to be a better base unit of measurement than the meter. Lots of things are "a foot" long. Doesn't work so well with 30cm objects. Also, without the foot we wouldn't have Subway advertising the $5 footlong.

Try speaking American it's the only language I understand.

It's because no one wants to make the massive change over to what the rest of the world does.

Hmm. I dunno, I actually find metric to be easier to use in terms of Temperature. But that's just probably because I understood the temperature differences in Canada first. :/

If the US was raised in metric, we'd think that way was easier. ;-)

I don't care which is used, just so long as the people using those measurements to communicate are on the same page.

Saying "Liberia too!" isn't a great example; it's a state made of former American slaves.

Let's not forget Burma either, who uses both custom measurements and English-style measurements as well. Many countries still use the U.S. gallon for gas fuel too at the pump. Some follow the more British-gallon usage as well.

I too express my dislike of the title of the thread, especially when I've met other English-speakers from outside the U.S. who don't know what a roll (the bread) is. XP

I find it laughable that the reason that the US uses their bastardized (sorry, I hate that 'language') English is because it was 'too hard to spell'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom