• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why are there so many water/grass pokemon, and hardly any fire pokemon?

Mobsterfangpants

Claimed Ash's Pikachu
Reaction score
There are way to little fire pokmeon out there. The only way to make it past D/P/PL without picking Chimchar, is to raise a Ponyta, or get an Eevee and evolving it into a Flareon...

Is there a reason for this? Or do they just not like making fire pokemon? it's like they're going endangered or something :\

Looking out my window now, I see trees, grass, ferns, and a shitload of other plants. I also see a river, and if I took a five minute walk I could see the ocean. But no fire is seen. I'm guessing thats the reason.

The only way to make it past D/P/PL without picking Chimchar, is to raise a Ponyta, or get an Eevee and evolving it into a Flareon...

You don't by any means need a fire type. The only time I ever used one was in Silver...

There's plenty of aquatic creatures to base water Pokémon off of, and there's alot of different kinds of plants to base grass types off of...

Fire types however, there's kinda so much you could go with. Fire-breathing animals seem to be the only decent ideas for fire types...

Fire-breathing dogs? We have several families of those...
Fire-breathing horse? Ponyta and Rapidash.
Pheonixes? We got Moltres and Ho-oh.
Dragons? Charizard and it's kin.
Fire slugs? Slugma and Magcargo.
Game Freak tries to come up with more unique ideas for fire types, like camels, tortoises, chickens and monkeys, but they're all still fire-breathing animals.

The only fire types that aren't obviously based on an animal of some sort are is the Magmar family and Heatran.

There also isn't exactly alot of places where fire occurs naturally. Volcanoes seem to be a good source, but they aren't exactly as common as a forest/grassland or lake/ocean.

Keep in mind, there are even less electric Pokémon, but nobody really complains about a lack of them because Pokémon's mascot is one of them and is obligated to appear in every game.

All the reasons stated above are true. I personally think that it is because fire isn't found that often in nature. In a rocket ship viewing the Earth, what colors do you see? Green, blue, and brown. Grass, water, rock/ground.

The reason there's a not many fire types when compared to water types and grass types, it's because fire isn't something that just appears naturally in nature, whereas since there are alot of species living in the ocean that's why there are a lot of water types, and grass types are one of the core things in nature which is why there's quite a few grass types.

Why does nature have to have anything about it though? I'm pretty sure a dinosaur with a huge flower growing out of it's back isn't natural. Neither is a mud fish that can walk on dry land. Why do the fire types all have to be natural?

Well fire isn't natutal...and besides fire breathing animals are the bestof the fire pokemon we can get lol

Looking out my window now, I see trees, grass, ferns, and a shitload of other plants. I also see a river, and if I took a five minute walk I could see the ocean. But no fire is seen. I'm guessing thats the reason.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

plants and water creatures are more abundant than fire creatures. You kinda have to get creative with those.

Creativity is indeed one point why there are relatively few Fire Pokémon. However, I do think there are a few easy ideas they could go with.
- A campfire Pokémon
- An Electric/Fire plasma Pokémon. Yeah, there is Rotom. But in my opinion this combo works a lot better since, well, matter takes the form of plasma only in very high temperatures, and fire is kinda hot.
- A Water/Fire geyser Pokémon
- A candle Pokémon, maybe Fire/Ghost or Fire/Normal

Of course, they may be conserving ideas to make sure they can have Fire Pokémon still in Gen. XVI.

I think part of the reason they limit the amount of fire types is because most people really like the idea of having an Uber-powerful pet that sets stuff on fire, and if they have a bunch of them, everybody would use them, thus making competitive play suck.

I think part of the reason they limit the amount of fire types is because most people really like the idea of having an Uber-powerful pet that sets stuff on fire, and if they have a bunch of them, everybody would use them, thus making competitive play suck.

I don't see how asthetics have any impact on competitve play. There are few fire types, and even fewer of them are competitvely viable. Therefore you're going to see alot of those few fire types, especially Infernape.

If anything, more fire types are needed, perhaps unique type combinations and such. We still don't have a Fire/Psychic or a Fire/Ghost yet, and these have plenty of potential.

It would be hard for GameFreak to create a convincing world in which you would see thousands of different fire pokemon hiding in caves and houses every time it rained.

Yea, I have to admit there's not many Fire pokemon, especially when you just started the game.. Maybe that's why people like to choose fire starter.. Since getting water pokemon is a snap, grass isn't "that" important compared to water (At least to me..)..

There's plenty of aquatic creatures to base water Pokémon off of, and there's alot of different kinds of plants to base grass types off of...

Fire types however, there's kinda so much you could go with. Fire-breathing animals seem to be the only decent ideas for fire types...

Fire-breathing dogs? We have several families of those...
Fire-breathing horse? Ponyta and Rapidash.
Pheonixes? We got Moltres and Ho-oh.
Dragons? Charizard and it's kin.
Fire slugs? Slugma and Magcargo.
Game Freak tries to come up with more unique ideas for fire types, like camels, tortoises, chickens and monkeys, but they're all still fire-breathing animals.

The only fire types that aren't obviously based on an animal of some sort are is the Magmar family and Heatran.

There also isn't exactly alot of places where fire occurs naturally. Volcanoes seem to be a good source, but they aren't exactly as common as a forest/grassland or lake/ocean.

Keep in mind, there are even less electric Pokémon, but nobody really complains about a lack of them because Pokémon's mascot is one of them and is obligated to appear in every game.

^This.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom