• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why are we not making noise about Miyazaki's departure?

SinnohBoi

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Losing Miyazaki's entire catalogue is literally the equivalent of the dub replacing the original soundtrack. The show not only has a different feel to it, but it somehow does not feel right anymore. Nothing against the new composer, but Pokemon does not exist without Miyazaki. And the fact that we will never hear his renditions in the anime again is upsetting.

I agree, what I've heard so far is pretty garbage compared to Miyazaki's work. But do we know Miyazaki's stuff is gone though? I'd guess the music team still have the right to use his work.

Also usually at the start of the series in the past they push the new music pretty exclusively, but later the "old" music is phased in.

I really hope they still have the rights to his music. The new soundtrack just doesn’t sound like PokeAni and leaves me feeling cold. I’m sure I’ll get used to it, but I’d prefer not to have to.

So far I don't dislike the new music but it doesn't impress me as much as Miyazaki's. My biggest complaint would be the use of vocals as background music, I find that distracting.

Are there any game music arrangements in the first 2 episodes? I haven't played Sword & Shield or listened to the music yet.

I'm pretty sure they said they're using a mix of old Miyazaki tunes and new ones. Personally I'm praying for a remix of the Galar gym theme.

I just want them to use Movie 20/22 music because I'm not expecting them to go back to OS renditions.

Are there any game music arrangements in the first 2 episodes? I haven't played Sword & Shield or listened to the music yet.
Yes, they used a remix of SwSh's wild Pokemon theme for when Ash battled Lugia. The previous Raid scene seemed to use original music.

I liked the original music that played during Go's introduction.

The new music is going to take some getting used to. It's not bad at all but at the same time, as others have already said, it doesn't really have that Pocket Monsters feel. I feel like if you took Mr. Hayashi's score and dumped it into an episode of My Hero Academia nobody would notice.

Beatsy Ray said:
I'm pretty sure they said they're using a mix of old Miyazaki tunes and new ones.

I haven't heard of anyone saying that. Do you have a source?

marshiyanmisuta said:
Why would they lose the rights to use Miyazaki's music? Don't they own their own score?

Depends on the contract. This isn't TV-related but video game publisher Square-Enix doesn't actually own the music produced for their Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest games; they have to go through the composers each and every time. It's the reason why the new Smash game uses so few tracks from the two games; there's just too much red tape.

I can't say for sure (none of us can, really) but it's entirely possible that Shinji Miyazaki retains the rights to use any of the music he composed for the show.

If he does retain the rights to his music I would hope he would release it one day. Having a full release of the Best Wishes, XY, and Sun&Moon music catalogue would make his departure sting less.

I didn't notice that much of a difference and if someone hadn't pointed it out, then I probably wouldn't have even realized that the composer had changed. I think the music is fine.

Has Miyazaki retired or is he still active?

He's 63 this year so it's still a bit early for him to retire, though sometimes people leave the business a few years early due to burnout, etc.

There are also whispers that he may be working on the upcoming Oda Shinamon Nobunaga show, though I would take that with a grain of salt.

I don't blame him for feeling burnt out if that is really the case. It would explain some questionable decisions for Movie 22's soundtrack.

Miyazaki’s score was delightfully old-school from the very beginning yet a lot of it still had a timeless feel to it. It's hard for me to describe, it just worked. It never felt out of place to me and it always stood out. The new music is certainly not bad but it just feels so...modern. Like you could just swap it out with any other anime series out there. I'm sure over time we'll get some memorable tunes but Miyazaki's score will always hold a special place in my heart. The show will never be the same without him.

Well, we now know he didn't retire; the end of a new trailer for the upcoming Oda Shinamon Nobunaga show has him listed in the credits as providing the music.

View: https://twitter.com/FelipoDepot/status/1202579468994396160?s=20

So I guess this means one of three things:
  1. OLM didn't want to use him anymore, because they wanted to give the new series a different vibe, or because they thought Hayashi would be cheaper, or more fashionable, or some record label politics, or something.
  2. Mr. Miyazaki quit of his own voliton because he's been doing the show for more than two decades and wants to do something new for a change.
  3. Some combination of the two.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom