• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why Ash winning the PWC title is unlikely

Reaction score
Here is why i think Ash winning the PWC in its current capacity is unlikely (But not impossible).

Obviously, Ash's goal is the defeat Leon. But i don't think its ever mentioned he wants to beat Leon to win the PWC.

I just can't see Leon staying the PWC champion title the moment gen 9 is revealed/announced, but its then that Leon will be old news the moment gen 9 is released and in the PWC format as such they need to make the gen 9 champion an ever bigger threat than Leon was.

As such, i can see it as more of a possibility Ash defeating Leon in a PWC match that isn't for the title, because Leon previously lost to the gen 9 Champion, than Ash defeating Leon for said title and then losing the title to the gen 9 title right away (Making his title win against Leon pointless). Especially since this will generate a bigger outcry than Ash losing to Alain in the Kalos league or Ash defeating Leon when its not for the title.

What is your take on it.

If they want him to stick around (a safe assumption), he shouldn't win the PWC. That's too big a deal compared to the Alola League.

Leon is overhyped and should definitely lose to someone, but why not have Ash defeat him officially and then lose to the new champion?

With the way this series is going I don't really want Ash to win against Leon. Sad really since I was excited for it at first until Ash and his team turned into lifeless zombies that are super hard to care or root for and the fact this whole PWC thing has been one giant afterthought in the making.

But to be honest I don't think he'll win the title anyway (he has to stick around as the anime mascot of course) . He may lose to Leon and that'll be the end of the whole PWC thing or he'll win but then lose straight away to the Gen 9 champion if they're that willing to do some Gen 9 teasing.

Regardless there's no way he's winning that title.

Then things will be as normal - Ash drops the PWC, says goodbye to Goh and the rest, heads back to his home and moves onto the next region and whatever that has in store (and to hopefully get his and Pikachu's mojo back).

I doubt him leaving, since they said the PWC is only a next step for Ash to become a Pokemon Master.
When did they say that? Ash's main goal is still to become a Pokemon Master, but I don't recall that the PWC is considered the next step for Ash to reach that goal, but just the way for Ash to battle Leon.

I believe Ash said that himself in one of the episodes (Or it was the narrator).
It sounds more like something the narrator would say to be honest. Although, I'm still having a hard time believing that this was said at all. It reminds me a bit too much of people claiming that Ash had to do the PWC after winning the Alola League, which is just reading far more into the goal than what we've seen thus far. Plus, the series really doesn't treat the PWC as the next step for Ash to become a Pokemon Master. The point of the PWC for Ash is just to climb the ranks in order to battle Leon again. He still wants to be a Pokemon Master of course, but this isn't really considered the next step for that goal exactly.

Honestly, this aspect confuses me since literally nothing stops Ash from having another battle with Leon outside of PWC. I guess it’s a “being worthy of Leon” thing.
I assume it's because Leon is busy with challengers already that he can't really take more time for unofficial battles. He only agreed to Ash's request when they first met because Ash helped with the Gigtamax Drednaw attack. Leon encouraging trainers to battle their way to him is pretty fitting though.

Here is why i think Ash winning the PWC in its current capacity is unlikely (But not impossible).

Obviously, Ash's goal is the defeat Leon. But i don't think its ever mentioned he wants to beat Leon to win the PWC.

I just can't see Leon staying the PWC champion title the moment gen 9 is revealed/announced, but its then that Leon will be old news the moment gen 9 is released and in the PWC format as such they need to make the gen 9 champion an ever bigger threat than Leon was.

As such, i can see it as more of a possibility Ash defeating Leon in a PWC match that isn't for the title, because Leon previously lost to the gen 9 Champion, than Ash defeating Leon for said title and then losing the title to the gen 9 title right away (Making his title win against Leon pointless). Especially since this will generate a bigger outcry than Ash losing to Alain in the Kalos league or Ash defeating Leon when its not for the title.

What is your take on it.
Sounds plausible, but I feel it is Ash who will lose. Ash has assembled a great team to take on Leon and seeing as he is in the Hyper Class now, we can expect in a year he'll be taking on the Masters 8 and Leon and I don't think the writers intend on him losing.I feel he'll beat Leon(maybe on a 2nd or 3rd try) and will become the World Monarch ending the current PWC season. Next series, the Gen 9 Champion will have risen through the ranks and will challenge Ash with Gen 9 Pokemon and will defeat him. Then we lead into Gen 9 anime where Ash catches Gen 9 Pokemon and re challenges the PWC and the Gen 9 champion.

Don’t remember the exact one, but wasn’t there an interview with Tomiasyu a while back where he stated ‘Ash will be more invincible’ throughout the series or something a while back?

Even without that I’m still convinced that Ash’ll win anyway. He’s already beaten a champion and basically beat everyone by the end of SM. Not sure why they wouldn’t do that here, considering his accomplishments so far.

If the narrator said winning the PWC was ONLY a step he is dumb because If Ash defeats Leon and wins he will literally be the best trainer in the world!

If the narrator said winning the PWC was ONLY a step he is dumb because If Ash defeats Leon and wins he will literally be the best trainer in the world!
Ash himself has said that it’s only a step in his goal. And considering that the Pokémon world is constantly expanding by the generation, saying that this competition makes you the best in the world is meaningless. To say that there’s nothing more for Ash is like saying that an athlete that’s taken gold in the Olympics might as well just retire because they’ve already won on the world stage.

I personally don't mind if Ash beats Leon or not, but like....I just hope this isn't his last series because this would be a horrible way for him to end when he's sidelined so often and his Pokemon don't get the focus they deserve.
Who knows? This may not be his last series no matter what the final outcome of the PWC is.

It sounds more like something the narrator would say to be honest. Although, I'm still having a hard time believing that this was said at all. It reminds me a bit too much of people claiming that Ash had to do the PWC after winning the Alola League, which is just reading far more into the goal than what we've seen thus far. Plus, the series really doesn't treat the PWC as the next step for Ash to become a Pokemon Master. The point of the PWC for Ash is just to climb the ranks in order to battle Leon again. He still wants to be a Pokemon Master of course, but this isn't really considered the next step for that goal exactly.
i remember that being said and i think both ash and the narrator said it

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom