• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why did Ash capture Palpitoad and Boldore????

Supreme Leader Palpitoad

The Toad of Honor
Reaction score
I will not complain about Palpitoads and Boldores presence in Ashs BW team. I think everyone in the anime section knows that I am a BIG fan of Palpitoad. Anyway with this thread I am asking wwhy the writers wanted Ash to capture Palpitoad/Boldore when he hardly uses them? Here is a listing over their important battles for those who does not know how underused these pokemon are.

Palpitoad:
vs Burgundys Stoutland: Win
vs Dinos Darumaka: Win(we hardly saw that battle at all)
vs Elesas Zebstrika: Win
vs Elesas Emolga: Loss
vs Roxies Garbodor: Loss
vs Stephans Zebstrika: Tie

Boldore:
vs Clays Excadrill: Win
vs Biancas Escavalier and Junipers Accelgor: Loss
vs Roxies Koffing: Loss
vs CotDs Reuniclus(I think it was Reuniclus): Win
vs Camerons Hydregion: Loss

So why did these two become captured?

Why was Trip such a terrible character and rival?
Why was Ash treated the way he was?
Why was the Pokémon League complete and utter crap?

The answer: bad writing.

I honestly don't know why they had him capture so many Pokémon if 80% of them would remain unused and only show up to randomly evolve only to be shafted again. It's plain and simple, it's bad writing.

At the time of their captures, I though both of them would be used against Kamitsure. I guess that was wrong since Gamagaru fainted at her second Pokémon and Dangoro wasn't used at all.

I guess the writers are sadists to fictional characters or something because they purposely add more Pokémon to juggle around on Satoshi's team, only to get no screentime or development for them.

I think that they wanted to give Ash more than six Pokemon so that he wouldn't use his older Pokemon as reserves during the Unova League. I think that was a factor at least. I originally thought that they also wanted to have Ash promote more Pokemon since there wasn't a co-star in the cast this time around, but considering how little screentime most of his Unova Pokemon get anyway, that doesn't seem too likely now.

I think that they wanted to give Ash more than six Pokemon so that he wouldn't use his older Pokemon as reserves during the Unova League. I think that was a factor at least. I originally thought that they also wanted to have Ash promote more Pokemon since there wasn't a co-star in the cast this time around, but considering how little screentime most of his Unova Pokemon get anyway, that doesn't seem too likely now.

During the Unova League the only pokemon who actually got a win was Pikachu, Krookodile, Pignite and Scraggy who got a one sec win. If the others should be fodder then they had been fine with only Oshawott, Snivy, Leavanny and Unfezant.

Don't we all catch things only to box them forever?

I didn't think anyone would complain. Ash catches things so rarely, I thought it was great that he broke old traditions.

And the fact stands that, however infrequently, he at least USED them (compare/contrast Primeape, Kingler, Muk to an extent)

I didn't think anyone would complain. Ash catches things so rarely, I thought it was great that he broke old traditions.

And the fact stands that, however infrequently, he at least USED them (compare/contrast Primeape, Kingler, Muk to an extent)
Muk and Kingler was used. They both won a league battle each for Ash if I remember correctly. How many battles have Palpitoad won? And I complain about they not being used. Other people does that too.

During the Unova League the only pokemon who actually got a win was Pikachu, Krookodile, Pignite and Scraggy who got a one sec win. If the others should be fodder then they had been fine with only Oshawott, Snivy, Leavanny and Unfezant.

I don't think that they were that interested in making Ash keep with just a six team like they were in AG. Even with the few Pokemon that got victories, they were probably more interested in just showcasing more fifth generation Pokemon.

Miar said:

While he does use them more than Primeape, Kingler and Muk, they still don't get much development. I prefer Ash capturing a small amount of Pokemon. It gives them a better chance for the Pokemon to have decent development and screentime.

because they want Ash to capture more Pokemon in unova and they were intresting pokemon for ash to have

Then isn't really a why about it. The writers wanted to have Ash catch more Pokemon this saga. That's a good thing in theory but in reality, writing for all those Pokemon in a fair manner is not doable. They don't have the time. They can just about make his usual 4/5 team seem balanced and each, well developed. I knew that him switching out Pokemon and catching more Pokemon than usual would prove a bad idea.

Then isn't really a why about it. The writers wanted to have Ash catch more Pokemon this saga. That's a good thing in theory but in reality, writing for all those Pokemon in a fair manner is not doable. They don't have the time. They can just about make his usual 4/5 team seem balanced and each, well developed. I knew that him switching out Pokemon and catching more Pokemon than usual would prove a bad idea.

Well it was doable if they not had Pikachu be a part of almost every battle. I should not hurt him to lose against for example Elesa so Palpitoad could get a win. There were lots of moments where they could have used Palpitoad or Boldore but did not.

The only time I remember Boldore being useful was in movie 15 where Ash used Boldore to skate over an icy lake. Other times were kinda forgettable

The only time I remember Boldore being useful was in movie 15 where Ash used Boldore to skate over an icy lake. Other times were kinda forgettable
Actually, Boldore also won against a freaking Excadrill during his gym quest.

Keep in mind, KIDS still watch this. Writing is the least of their worries.

But they maybe worries about Palpitoad and Boldore maybe being used. I am 13 and I worries a lot about the writing.

I said kids, not teens.

Anyway, I haven't watched the show in...forever. Was going to try to wake up early to catch the Lenora episodes (<3), but I was lazy. Even if I wanted to, the basic cable in my apartment doesn't carry Cartoon Network.

Keep in mind, KIDS still watch this. Writing is the least of their worries.

But they maybe worries about Palpitoad and Boldore maybe being used. I am 13 and I worries a lot about the writing.

I said kids, not teens.

Anyway, I haven't watched the show in...forever. Was going to try to wake up early to catch the Lenora episodes (<3), but I was lazy. Even if I wanted to, the basic cable in my apartment doesn't carry Cartoon Network.

Kids maybe likes Palpitoad/Boldore and wonders why they are not on the show often.

I agree with some people who said that he caught a lot of Pokemon Pokemon so he'd only be using Unova Pokemon in the league. I think the question should be "Why aren't they used as much as his other Pokemon?" and to that answer I don't really know. I know having all 3 starters meant they'd be getting a lot of the screen time, along with Pikachu of course, but Scraggy, Leavanny, and Krookodile managed to have some episodes focusing on them so it it kind of upsetting that Palpitoad, and to a lesser extent, Boldore got kind of shafted.

I actually kinda like that Ash has this random boxed Palpitoad that he uses seldomly. Like someone else said before me, it seems like they were trying to give Ash extra Pokémon to use because Iris wouldn't have as big a team as Dawn or May. But then they got no screen time so I think they messed that idea up.

Though I'm more annoyed that Ash caught all three starters, and that was before Ash decided to parade about with 5 starters in his team (Pikachu/Charizard).

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom