• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why did Deoxys come to Earth?

The Outrage

Reaction score
When you play through the Delta Episode, one of the scientists mention that it seems like the Meteoroid is steering directly to Earth and laments at the impossibility of stopping something that seems to have a mind of its own. If you defeat Deoxys and then talk to Cozmo at the Space Centre, he mentions that they got a bio-energy reading of Deoxys while you were in space, and hypothesizes that it somehow merged with the Meteoroid, and that's why it was flying to Earth. Ultimately, they don't think Deoxys was trying to harm the planet, but they did say they thought it was trying to get to Hoenn (and mention getting its bio-energy readings around Route 131).

So I guess its up in the air, but why would a mutant space-virus want to travel to Earth? Considering all the shout-outs to the anime and manga, I would guess that it came to Earth searching for another Deoxys that landed there from a previous shower (either the one that made the Sootopolis crater, or the last Litleonid shower 11 years prior to the game's current time).

Deoxys Ruby/Omega Ruby entry

The DNA of a space virus underwent a sudden mutation upon exposure to a laser beam and resulted in Deoxys. The crystalline organ on this Pokémon’s chest appears to be its brain.

Then, something like this, but much stronger, happened during the old war... and this "meteorite" started to return to Earth regularly.

Presumably, Deoxys was coming to feed on energy. The same energy that created it.

If Deoxys mutated in space and gained sentience it may have been looking for another of its kind like many theorize or a less depressing home since Hoenn is nice this time of year.

Deoxys Ruby/Omega Ruby entry

The DNA of a space virus underwent a sudden mutation upon exposure to a laser beam and resulted in Deoxys. The crystalline organ on this Pokémon’s chest appears to be its brain.

Then, something like this, but much stronger, happened during the old war... and this "meteorite" started to return to Earth regularly.

Presumably, Deoxys was coming to feed on energy. The same energy that created it.

I believe there's more than one Deoxys. That's the only explanation as to why these meteorites have come to Earth in the past. There's probably a whole species of them out in the universe. More than meteorite means more than Deoxys. It seems likely that they are a space plague, disguising themselves as meteorites so they can land on unsuspecting planets and consume high amounts of energy. Rayquaza swallowed a meteorite and seemed to have battled the Deoxys species in the past so the energy signature was recognizable.

That's the only explanation as to why these meteorites have come to Earth in the past. There's probably a whole species of them out in the universe. More than meteorite means more than Deoxys. It seems likely that they are a space plague, disguising themselves as meteorites so they can land on unsuspecting planets and consume high amounts of energy. Rayquaza swallowed a meteorite and seemed to have battled the Deoxys species in the past so the energy signature was recognizable.
Just because one meteoroid contained Deoxys doesn't mean that all of them did. There is probably a good reason why Zinnia never mentioned Deoxys; I would think that at least one of the lorekeepers would have seen Deoxys had it existed back then. There is little reason to assume that Deoxys drew any of the meteoroids to the Pokémon world.

It's quite possible that Deoxys was interested in the Pokémon world simply because it sensed the meteorites that alter its cellular structure. Whether or not a second Deoxys exists really boils down to when Birth Island was created. Did it happen long ago or as a result of the Delta Episode? We don't know because Game Freak thought it was a good idea to say almost nothing about Deoxys, which probably has to do with the fact that it doesn't have a fancy Mega Evolution.

Last edited:
That's the only explanation as to why these meteorites have come to Earth in the past. There's probably a whole species of them out in the universe. More than meteorite means more than Deoxys. It seems likely that they are a space plague, disguising themselves as meteorites so they can land on unsuspecting planets and consume high amounts of energy. Rayquaza swallowed a meteorite and seemed to have battled the Deoxys species in the past so the energy signature was recognizable.
Just because one meteoroid contained Deoxys doesn't mean that all of them did. There is probably a good reason why Zinnia never mentioned Deoxys; I would think that at least one of the lorekeepers would have seen Deoxys had it existed back then. There is little reason to assume that Deoxys drew any of the meteoroids to the Pokémon world.

It's quite possible that Deoxys was interested in the Pokémon world simply because it sensed the meteorites that alter its cellular structure. Whether or not a second Deoxys exists really boils down to when Birth Island was created. Did it happen long ago or as a result of the Delta Episode? We don't know because Game Freak thought it was a good idea to say almost nothing about Deoxys, which probably has to do with the fact that it doesn't have a fancy Mega Evolution.

I restarted and am currently in the Delta Episode. From the dialogue it seems there is more than one Deoxys. Zinnia clearly states her ancestors passed down the knowledge on how to "avert the threat that will appear from space, as long was foretold...". Rayquaza has battled this species in the past. It seems likely that this meteor shower that had passed by Earth contains the virus that forms Deoxys. Due to the awakening of Primal Groudon/Kyogre, the mutation occurred. That can be assumed because the last time it appeared, Primal Groudon/Kyogre were awake. That energy affects the meteors and causes the mutation. That would explain what has happened in the past and why Deoxys did not appear the last time the meteor shower came by. The ancient people were likely unaware that Primal Groudon/Kyogre's awakening is what caused Deoxys to appear in the first place.

DasManiac said:
From the dialogue it seems there is more than one Deoxys. Zinnia clearly states her ancestors passed down the knowledge on how to "avert the threat that will appear from space, as long was foretold...". Rayquaza has battled this species in the past.
The meteoroid is the threat. No one ever says that Deoxys is the problem, so I don't know what makes you think that there was another Deoxys in the distant past. Maybe the recent meteoroid wouldn't have been a threat if it hadn't been for Deoxys, but that doesn't mean anything about the past.

I find it hard to believe the Draconids, who chronicled everything to help avert this disaster, would fail to mention Deoxys. Neither Zinnia or her grandmother mention Deoxys either after-the-fact. The only ones aware of its existence are the Mosdeep Scientists who picked up its bioenergy.

There are Pokemon who can foresee the future--I don't think its too out of the question that someone simply had psychic powers and foretold of this disaster.

I also disagree with the conclusion that all meteoroids have Deoxys in them, or that Deoxys is here to fill up on energy. First, there are countless meteoroids and space debris, its not at all strange that some would hit the Earth. As for Deoxys, why would they be coming here one at a time rather than the entire species population if they were to feed? The Pokedex says it came to life from a laser, but I am guessing that's probably from a sample that scientists found and irradiated with a laser. I'm more inclined to believe that Deoxys reacts to both the energy of the meteoroids and the Earth's magnetic fields to change forms considering Deoxys' heavy ties to both meteors and auroras.

And considering that the lore was created 2000 years ago when Sootopolis was formed, I don't really see what other method the Draconids could have thought up to destroy a giant meteoroid other than "Invoke the power of our Dragon-god"--the meteoroids didn't have to have a Pokemon in it for them to need a Pokemon's help, especially considering its one of the few Pokemon that can fly into space without any issues.

There are Pokemon who can foresee the future--I don't think its too out of the question that someone simply had psychic powers and foretold of this disaster.
They just extrapolated it from the pattern. Every 1000 years, Hoenn either faces the wrath of Primal Groudon and Kyogre, or the threat of a giant meteoroid. Both events happened this time, although Groudon and Kyogre didn't both wake up.

They just extrapolated it from the pattern. Every 1000 years, Hoenn either faces the wrath of Primal Groudon and Kyogre, or the threat of a giant meteoroid. Both events happened this time, although Groudon and Kyogre didn't both wake up.
I don't know how they extrapolated it. Groudon/Kyogre came out 3000 years, 2000 years before, it was the meteoroid. There was no mention of what happened 1000 years after that? Though I do recall the dialogue where they were talking about the cyclical events of Hoenn.

I don't know how they extrapolated it. Groudon/Kyogre came out 3000 years, 2000 years before, it was the meteoroid. There was no mention of what happened 1000 years after that? Though I do recall the dialogue where they were talking about the cyclical events of Hoenn.
3000 years ago: "In the face of Primal Groudon and Kyogre's great power, people could do nothing. The only choice was to watch as disaster upon disaster swept over them. It was in such a time that a great many meteoroids poured from the darkness of space, from a place higher even than the heavens. And the meteoroids fell in their multitude upon a waterfall that had long been home to a tribe of Dragon-type-Pokémon users... The meteors shone with a rainbow brilliance, as if some great life was held within. That was when, as if drawn by the brilliance, a Pokémon that shone in a blazing emerald hue descended from the heavens... That Pokémon was none other than Rayquaza. Rayquaza’s power overwhelmed that of the two Primal Pokémon, and peace returned to the world. The people of Hoenn revered Rayquaza as a true savior."

2000 years ago: "A thousand years after this time, the meteoroids once again fell. A huge meteoroid, far greater than any before, struck the planet, boring deep into the ocean and leaving behind it a crater larger than any other. The land born of this event later become known as Sootopolis. The great meteoroid was the first of many disasters to befall humanity. When it punched into the planet, the land cracked beneath it, and a great welling of natural energy poured from beneath Hoenn. Thirsting for that energy, Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon once again woke. The people had a wish—a memory from a thousand years before... They wished that the Legendary Pokémon clad in emerald light would appear again. The huge Meteorite that lay at the heart of Sootopolis gave off a boundless brilliance. In its brilliance, it resembled a vast and powerful Key Stone. And once again, Rayquaza descended from whence it came in the heavens. The people fell to their knees before Rayquaza and made a wish for salvation. As they did, a great change came over the Legendary Pokémon. It was enveloped in blinding light. As the light receded, they beheld a Rayquaza beyond all knowledge— a sublime figure, incandescent with overwhelming life force. It was humanity’s wish that brought about Rayquaza’s transformation in the face of the rainbow stone..."

1000 years ago: "A thousand years of peace followed after that disastrous time. But the Draconid people, learning from their long history’s cyclical nature, foretold that the meteoroids would fall on this land again. The meteoroid to come, they prophesized, would be far greater than those that had come before it. This meteoroid would be great enough to break the world forever... In order to prevent this great calamity, those who held the knowledge of the past arrived at a plan. Their plan was to invoke Rayquaza, the great savior, and summon it to this land before the meteoroid could strike."

Chances are that there were similar events going even further into the past, except without Mega Rayquaza.

@Silktree;
The above still showed that it was a 2000 year gap between the present day and the last disaster, while the previous gap was 1000. I am no longer arguing that they didn't extrapolate from past events, but the premise itself doesn't make sense on its own, especially them somehow predicting that the meteoroid would be massive enough to "break the world forever". I still think it involved some Draconid mysticism (not like Psychic powers aren't a thing in the Pokemon World and there are two Psychic Pokemon associated with space in Meteor Falls) even if they drew from their histories to predict the future.

They would need exact precision as well to avert the disaster--its not like the litleonid shower was a warning considering it also happened 11 years prior to the game's beginning. Zinnia has definitely been planning this for awhile, if they didn't know it would happen that year, then waking Groudon/Kyogre prematurely would have been even more disastrous.

Last edited:
The above still showed that it was a 2000 year gap between the present day and the last disaster, while the previous gap was 1000. I am no longer arguing that they didn`t extrapolated from past events, but the premise itself doesn't make sense, especially them somehow predicting that the meteoroid would be massive enough to "break the world forever". I still think it involved some Draconid mysticism (not like Psychic powers aren't a thing in the Pokemon World and there are two Psychic Pokemon associated with space in Meteor Falls) even if they drew from their histories to predict the future.
There were meteoroids involved every 1000 years. They grew bigger with each time, to the point where a single huge meteoroid was the only threat Hoenn faced 1000 years ago. I really don't think that mysticism is called for here.

There were meteoroids involved every 1000 years. They grew bigger with each time, to the point where a single huge meteoroid was the only threat Hoenn faced 1000 years ago. I really don't think that mysticism is called for here.
There's nothing in that quote referencing another disaster 1000 years ago though. I guess it could have happened, but why no mention of it?

There's nothing in that quote referencing another disaster 1000 years ago though. I guess it could have happened, but why no mention of it?
I did jump to conclusions on that one, but let's consider what Zinnia's grandmother says:

Since times long gone, Hoenn has repeatedly suffered great disasters. At times, the destruction took the form of a huge meteoroid, which upon our land from distant space. At other times, the Primal Reversions of our own super-ancient Pokémon brought us to the brink of destruction. Each time, Lord Rayquaza has saved us from doom. The chosen Lorekeeper, standing before a stone that shone with rainbow light, offered up a wish to the great one. And Lord Rayquaza's body was suffused with a brilliant light and transformed.
The disaster that now approaches our planet, as it has twice before... Zinnia has been trying for some to avert it... in her own way.
So there were two past meteoroid threats, and Mega Rayquaza stopped at least one of them. It didn't stop any meteoroid 3000 or 2000 years ago (when it relied on the meteorites to deal with the Primal Reversions), so I'd say that something had to have happened 1000 years ago, which then led to a prophecy. I assume that Game Freak didn't have Zinnia explain what happened because they thought it would detract from the actual climax.

Last edited:
i dont know if i can do this but...

here is a link to the infamous /vp/

on the top right it look like a meteor with a face of ...

/vp/ - Deepest lore time

So there were two past meteoroid threats, and Mega Rayquaza stopped at least one of them. It didn't stop any meteoroid 3000 or 2000 years ago (when it relied on the meteorites to deal with the Primal Reversions), so I'd say that something had to have happened 1000 years ago, which then led to a prophecy. I assume that Game Freak didn't have Zinnia explain what happened because they thought it would detract from the actual climax.
This makes me question Zinnia's methods even more then. Clearly there was at least one lorekeeper in the past who stopped the Meteoroid without awakening Groudon and Kyogre....I know Zinnia seems out of touch with reality (her pre-battle animations makes her seem erratic) but still....

This makes me question Zinnia's methods even more then. Clearly there was at least one lorekeeper in the past who stopped the Meteoroid without awakening Groudon and Kyogre....I know Zinnia seems out of touch with reality (her pre-battle animations makes her seem erratic) but still....

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Judging by the conversations she has with you in Sky Pillar, she's not very emotionally stable. The conversation at the end with her grandmother solidifies that she's hurting. As to why she's hurting, it might have something to do with Aster.

on the top right it look like a meteor with a face of ...
It does look like Attack Forme. If that's the intention, then I think Game Freak really messed up here. There is no reason why Zinnia or her grandmother shouldn't have mentioned Deoxys' past involvement if one of the Draconids actually saw it.

Pardon the slightly off-topic thought, but didn't a Deoxys show up in the original Mystery Dungeon games after you fought and convinced Rayquaza to stop it? What if in an alternate timeline, the meteoroid was warped, but instead of going to RSE-Hoenn it went to R/B Rescue Team Pokemon Universe?

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom