• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why did Game Freak foreshadow Sun and Moon in X and Y?

Reaction score
As we all know by now, the Strange Souvenir and associated Backpacker were included in XY to hint at Sun and Moon. Here's the big question: Why did they do this? Let's just review the wording they used for a moment:
The Kalos region is nice and all, but you should really check out my region! We have this town that you wouldn’t believe…Ah, never mind. You’ll see it in due time.

The Kalos region is nice and all, but you should really check out my region! There’s a facility that you wouldn’t believe…Ah, never mind. You’ll see it in due time.

The Kalos region is nice and all, but you should really check out my region! Our Champion is really something else, I tell you…Ah, never mind. You’ll find out in due time.

The Kalos region is nice and all, but let me share something with you from my region. It's really special!

Strange Souvenir: An ornament depicting a Pokémon that is venerated as a protector in some region far from Kalos.

The Kalos region is nice and all, but you’ve really got to check out my region! Where is it, you ask? Well, I can tell you it’s not Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, or even Unova!
Well, this is certainly...interesting. So right as Generation VI began and everyone was already in the middle of exploring the newest region Kalos, Game Freak decided to throw in references to the next generation's region, a whopping three years in advance. I certainly don't recall them ever doing this. Ever.

Now what does this mean? Why would they feel compelled to do something like this for the first time? The obvious answer is that they wanted to give observant fans some food for thought about the possibility of a special new generation for the 20th anniversary. However, what exactly does that entail? Well, looking at the Backpacker's quotes, it's very clear that this region isn't your typical region. So we have an atypical or at least an allegedly very intriguing region that will be themed after the 20th anniversary. From this, we can infer that this region has strong ties to the past regions (hence why it's "different"), but what are some ideas as to how this will affect gameplay?

May is usually the month we get the region map for new games. We just might get some answers as to what sort of "unbelievable" region we're getting in a mere two months.

Edit: The dialogue isn't as meaningful as the reasoning behind its inclusion.

Last edited:
I am not sure. If this has some kind of connection with Kalos in Sun and Moon then that would be great. We may indeed see the region that guy was talking about in XY.

When x/y first came out and up until a few months ago, I honestly thought they were foreshadowing what would've ended up being a 6.5 sort of situation. I got the vibe that with how x/y's story/lore went, and the minimal amount of new pokemon, and how shauna talked about wanting to go to a new region with you, that gf wanted to have an established story that would span multiple installments/generations.

In hindsight yeah it totally seems like they were just teasing gen 7 lol. I don't necessarily think the way the backpacker talks about it indicates that the region will be special or anything. He's just hyping up his homeland because well, it's where he's from.

And yeah the dialogue could really mean nothing, or not relate to gen 7 at all, but personally I don't feel gf would've included something like that for no reason at all.

I think that they put this in for a joke and that people are looking a little bit to much into this. Like others are pointing out, that hiker didn't gave us anything significant to consider as a hint towards the 20th anniversary.
Every region has a facility that you wouldn't believe. Every region has a champion that is something else. Etc. etc.

Let me make something clear: It's not the dialogue in and of itself that makes me think Sun and Moon aren't going to be a standard set of games. It's the fact that the dialogue was bothered to be inserted and, in conjunction with the Strange Souvenir, was explicitly pointing towards future games. They haven't done something like this before.
i've said this to you before: with the level of ambiguity, Game Freak could have been foreshadowing Gen VII or Gen XX.
You know we're literally going to find out this holiday, right? I can't comprehend why they'd want to bring up something six or more years away.

Last edited:
Well the hex maniac in Anistar also mentioned the region with the moondial. I think they wanted to bring two worlds together into one giant adventure....kind of like Gen II, but on a grander scale.

That isn't quite correct. She didn't mention "a region with a moondial," she just said that moondials exist as well as sundials.

*retrieves exact quote*

Hex Maniac: Did you know that there are moondials, too?

And... that's it. :p

It's possible that they wanted to foreshadow the seventh generation because of its connection to Kalos. We don't know for sure that the hiker was talking about the seventh generation region, but he most likely was, so throwing that foreshadow right off the bat could imply a connection between the two region. It could have also been just Game Freak wanting to get people excited for the 20th anniversary even more by throwing in some vague foreshadowing dialogue in X/Y since that would attract attention.

You know we're literally going to find out this holiday, right? I can't comprehend why they'd want to bring up something six or more years away.
because why not? Game Freak loves easter eggs and teases. for all we know, the inspiration for Region 7 was the Strange Souvenir rather than the other way around.

Asides from hinting at a new generation, it could have been a subtle way of them telling fans of the series not to hope for a Z/third version. Does that statue look like Zygarde to you?
If that was their intention (I doubt it was) they failed miserably, it seems.

But really, there's nothing about that souvenier or your conversation with the hiker that makes any reference to another game in gen 6. It was quite clearly discussing a different region entirely and the only link shared with Kalos is this one Hiker.

If that was their intention (I doubt it was) they failed miserably, it seems.

But really, there's nothing about that souvenier or your conversation with the hiker that makes any reference to another game in gen 6. It was quite clearly discussing a different region entirely and the only link shared with Kalos is this one Hiker.
I disagree.
http://i.stack.imgur.com/zeub4.jpg
https://33.media.tumblr.com/ae9d1ad54f6e88a9b8acae9f99726a9a/tumblr_inline_my9x6ywi1b1qdvh9x.jpg

What if gf knew the 20th anniversary was coming up and tried to put in minimal effort into XY? Like it was more of a cheeky easter egg plus a "We're sorry this gen is so short, but hey they next gen will be better due to the anniversary and lack of artist and creator blocks! Keep your hopes up!" type apology?

There's also the possibility that, much like the other power plants, it went nowhere and will continue to go nowhere. Like maybe it was either a scrapped idea or a scrapped event where you had to take the Strange Souvenir to "another region" like the Sinjoh ruins were and they forgot to take out the dialog when they didn't put it in.

I think that they put this in for a joke and that people are looking a little bit to much into this. Like others are pointing out, that hiker didn't gave us anything significant to consider as a hint towards the 20th anniversary.
Every region has a facility that you wouldn't believe. Every region has a champion that is something else. Etc. etc.

That may be true, but the region he was talking about wasn't the previous ones. If they wanted an easter egg or a Hoenn plant like Jasmine was for HGSS in DPPt, I highly doubt they would have included the line that debunked it being one of the other regions or forgot to add a passing Strange Souvenir reference to ORAS.

Well the hex maniac in Anistar also mentioned the region with the moondial. I think they wanted to bring two worlds together into one giant adventure....kind of like Gen II, but on a grander scale.
Could have just been a random NPC factoid that they like to throw in. I mean moondials are actual things...but little kids probably won't know that.

Last edited:
How is that a disagreement?
Whoops! Sorry, I misread your post. Never mind.

I was surprise how vehement people were about their being a Z/third version. Then again, I can't scrutinize them for thinking that after four generations of receiving a sequel. It is somewhat refreshing though jarring to other players.

That may be true, but the region he was talking about wasn't the previous ones. If they wanted an easter egg or a Hoenn plant like Jasmine was for HGSS in DPPt, I highly doubt they would have included the line that debunked it being one of the other regions or forgot to add a passing Strange Souvenir reference to ORAS.

I think what's interesting is that there *are* hotel residents from each region, and the guidebook denotes them accordingly (not my picture, by the way):

JAsTp.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom