• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

why did the animators take off the fake Poke' language?

Sweenix

Melodies Of Life
Reaction score
Anyone know why? i don't have a problem with it, although i do find it a bit stupid that they have decided to go back to the kanto days katakana

DP27.jpg

compare this

to

DP51.jpg

that's a pretty big change wouldn't you think

obviously this isn't isn't straight up katakana but it's pretty close and you can see the big change

Last edited:
I'm guessing Filb.de doesn't allow people to hotlink their images.

You'll have to offer a better description of what you're talking about or this thread will not be able to continue.

no one scribbles like that and to a 10 year old it could easily look like katakana so what's the point of the fake Poke'Language then?

DP27.jpg

compare this

to

DP51.jpg

that's a pretty big change wouldn't you think

obviously this isn't isn't straight up katakana but it's pretty close and you can see the big change

Both instances of the fake made up language in those Pictures are both the fake made up language. Neither of those is remotely close to Katakana, Hiragana, or Kanji. The one of the top just looks more scribbled, they both very much are fake.

Both instances of the fake made up language in those Pictures are both the fake made up language. Neither of those is remotely close to Katakana, Hiragana, or Kanji. The one of the top just looks more scribbled, they both very much are fake.

yes but be Honest like i said before, to a 10 year old they wouldn't really notice the difference and that's pokemon's biggest fanbase

yes but be Honest like i said before, to a 10 year old they wouldn't really notice the difference and that's pokemon's biggest fanbase

Isn't this thread about how you say the animators removed the fake language? *_* Or are you trying to say it wouldn't matter, if the fake language was there?

I don't mind if you guys want to discuss the reasons why they use made-up characters. If not, I'll lock the thread because as previously said, the fake language is still present.

Isn't this thread about how you say the animators removed the fake language? *_* Or are you trying to say it wouldn't matter, if the fake language was there?

i don't matter if it's there or not im just saying the characters are getting to close to katakana, want proof?

my little bro was watching an episode of bw and he couldn't read the paper ash was reading and he said how can ash understand japanese.

i don't matter if it's there or not im just saying the characters are getting to close to katakana, want proof?

my little bro was watching an episode of bw and he couldn't read the paper ash was reading and he said how can ash understand japanese.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that that is not proof (or makes any sense whatsoever).

Actually, they switched from a completely nonsensible made-up language, to a cipher upon English.
This text deciphers to "POKEMON".

Starting from BW, the text is often sensible, and entire sentences can be deciphered.

So in a way, they have removed the made-up language. Yet they've replaced it with English, not Japanese.

Here are some more examples.
py9xr.png

(Taiho is presumably 逮捕, 'Arrest', but is spelt out in English.)

Last edited:
Wow, that's fascinating, I had no idea. This started at the beginning of BW?

I always thought that those made up letters corresponded with hiragana/katakana...I had no idea they were based on the English alphabet! That's really cool!

Sorry, that's not proof. And, I certainly don't think the fake language looks anywhere near close to Katakana.

@bluesun Wow, that's freaky. I've always found the fake language to be a bit creepy at times, with the way it's written. But, the fact it seems to add to actually English is interesting, I thought it was gibberish. I still think it looks awful, but that gives it a bit of a spin so to speak.

signupsheet.png

Anyone willing to take a shot at translating this? :p

I think I can make out "ENTRY" on the first box.

Last edited:
I guess OP's point is this: "What's the point of changing Katakana to a made up language, if that language looks like katakana to foreign children like my brother?"

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom