• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why did the writers keep Brock for so long?

jinglejoe

Reaction score
Why did the writers have Brock in AG and DP when they got rid of him before? It really seems pointless about him being there for so long.

Because they needed someone to just explain Ash's battle strategies, and didn't see the need for a new character yet.

Dento pretty much serves that purpose now, if only to freshen up BW.

Perhaps the writers had no idea what to do with Brock in AG, but figured something out when DP came along. That thing was to apparently develop him into a Pokémon Doctor.

Brock had a purpose in AG since Max had no Pokemon. Likewise Max did kind of function like another Brock/Tracey/Dento, but again since he lacked pokemon, that's why Brock was there.

I was perfectly fine with Brock in AG, even if as usual, he didn't get much focus. But then again its the same for any other arc, so eh.

Because he was a beloved and venerated member of the pokemon franchise who's wealth of knowledge and personality were pivotal in helping to make the show become what we all know and love.

Because brock was part of what made pokemon and he will always be my second favorite character second only to ash. Also he was ashs best friend and almost like a big brother for him. Brock will always be remembered and missed and I don't care who you are, at one point or another you liked him so to anybody saying he was bland and painful to watch don't watch him focus on ash. Also if anybody was painful to watch it was team rocket llol thank god they changed.

It is kinda odd how unlike Ash and TR, Brock was never really the focal point of most episodes.

Much like Tracey was brought in for a short time, you always kinda thought Brock was going to be replaced a second time, but I thought it was going to happen much sooner.

I really didn't think he was going to stay for DP. The end of AG already set him up to be a doctor with AG188's, "Pinch healing," and he could have theoretically left at the end of AG.

I guess the writers thought since they were going to focus on Ash and Dawn so much anyway, no reason to introduce another new character for him to wind up ignored, instead they just kept Brock.

I think Brock was popular and that he provided more of a sense to the older episodes that people could relate to. They had gotten rid of Misty, so they probably decided to keep Brock on in order to keep a familiar face around.

But I do agree that there was little point of him being there. While he showed medical stuff in Doc Brock and the episode where Uxie appeared to him, but they never really developed on it. All he ever did was sit in the stands and provide commentary so that fans would understand what was going on.

Probably to provide more continuity to this show with one older character along with Ash giving connection to previous regions and stabillity of main cast not being disrupted with complete revamps at start of each new generation like they did now with Best Wishes.

Also they needed someone to fulfill role of being older caretaker who would take care of other characters in group and pokemon,serving as undrainable source of informations when it comes to pokemon and their attacks,explaining to viewers some basic things from pokemon battles.

Personally i would rather have that they kept Misty after Johto who battled more,giving her more development and doing something with her story updating pokemon team.She was great character.

But im ok with Brock being kept too,i always liked his character.

I think it's about something between his VA and producers/animators of the show...

Well, Tracey wasn't exactly the franchise's most *popular* character, so maybe the writers didn't want to create another original main character. We thought they would this time when Iris and Dent were first revealed, but again they stuck with characters based on the Gym Leaders.

Considering that, the list of viable characters from the Generation III and IV is quite short. Could you really imagine Ash and May travelling around with Wally? Brawly? Or a group of Ash, Dawn and Roark?

Well, Tracey wasn't exactly the franchise's most *popular* character, so maybe the writers didn't want to create another original main character. We thought they would this time when Iris and Dent were first revealed, but again they stuck with characters based on the Gym Leaders.

Considering that, the list of viable characters from the Generation III and IV is quite short. Could you really imagine Ash and May travelling around with Wally? Brawly? Or a group of Ash, Dawn and Roark?

^^ you are right, and ironically some people actually belived Shinji was the first Gym Leader (name was thought to be zack), LOL.

I think Brock was popular and that he provided more of a sense to the older episodes that people could relate to. They had gotten rid of Misty, so they probably decided to keep Brock on in order to keep a familiar face around.

I think this is the reason Brock did come back for AG. As you said Misty had just left, and Brock probably stayed to keep one familiar Kanto character around.

However by the time DP started it was obvious the writers were just going to bring new girls into the show, so he didn't really have to stay yet again.

Hey. Maybe Brock was more important than Misty lol.

or maybe the writers liked him better. :ksmile:

I mean they had to have thought he was somewhat special, keeping him, and bringing him back all the time right?

That is a good point. I think he does help provide a mixture of comic relief (flirting, getting attack by his Pokemon, etc) and seriousness when he is on the sidelines explaining things. They probably didn't want to make the same old characters with those traits so they kept him on. But with the series "reboot", Iris and Dento get hiis sideline-ness, and the flirting just disappeared.

Maybe they were too lazy to make up another plot for a new character so they kept him around and give him da "Captain Obvious/Joe Morgan" role

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom