• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why did the writers remove Misty?

How do YOU feel about the writers removing Misty?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You would have complained if she won her second tournament.

May is still going to be a coordinator, whether or not she travels with Ash. Victory can always come at a later date.

FabuVinny said:
You would have complained if she won her second tournament.

Yet at the same time, I'd be able to see that that's the reason she was written out.

It doesn't matter if May will still be a coordinator with or without Ash. What matters is that we've been following her goal for the last 4 1/2 years, and if we don't see her complete it, that makes almost half of AG entirely pointless.

You have to wonder, why did we watch all these Contest episodes then if there was no pay off in the end? It's all pretty pointless.

Weeell, it might have been kind of unrealistic to have May win the whole Festival on her second attempt. Many people, me included, were iffy on her even being able to beat Drew. Even if they knew they had to write her out, I'm not convinced they would have advanced her that quickly. It could be that her victory against Drew was meant to resolve her storyline.

Then again, if that were the case, I'm a little surprised they had May win that battle by timeout rather than KO, especially since Absol was clearly in better fighting condition at the end. Saori trouncing her in the very next round and making her cry also seems off.

But who knows, perhaps the Rivals Forever ep is intended to tie up the loose ends of May's arc. We'll have to see.

Jo-Jo, they could have done a number of things to make May winning the whole GF believable.

They could have had her bring back Beautifly, Bulbasaur and Skitty, instead of making her say that she was sticking with her "current" team. They could have had Eevee evolve prior to the Grand Festival.

Hell, they could have had Combusken evolve into Blaziken during the Drew match.

If this was meant to be May's last Grand Festival, it didn't have a very good climax at all. I always saw this as a "middle" Grand Festival, as in one where some stuff is advanced, (May beats Drew), but it's not the end.

FabuVinny said:
May is still going to be a coordinator, whether or not she travels with Ash. Victory can always come at a later date.

Even though people would say Misty was a less-important character, it's pretty much how the way she went. I mean, using the idea of wanting to become a water pokémon master was really just an excuse to keep her in the show in the first place. She left without achieving that goal, and infact despite being a temporary gym leader, she still hasn't achieved that goal.

Yeah, and one could easily argue it made no sense to make Misty lose the Whirl Cup if it was supposed to be her final blaze of glory.

The fact is, having Misty win the Whirl Cup or May win the Kanto GF would have been highly unrealistic. As it was, both girls finished in fourth place, and they were allowed to overcome one major opponent to get there (Ash/Drew). This was considered good enough for Misty, and I daresay it can be good enough for May, too, should she leave.

The good thing about May is that her leaving won't signify the end of her quest. She'll just go off to another region and keep winning ribbons. We can still get updates on her progress if she's no longer a main cast member - she'll probably make the occasional cameo in Shinou, just like Misty did.

So I don't think her placing in the GF is evidence she's going to stay. The fact that she didn't KO Drew's Pokemon and lost so miserably to Saori, however, could count for something.

I wasn't particularly chuffed that they booted Misty, though she did just end up standing there by the end. Personally, I'd like to see Ash travel on his own for longer than 15 minutes in the anime. Besides, bar May's contest sideplot, he's the only character with any real point. Brock should really just teach Ash to cook and bugger off somewhere. Max and May should go off. They can all make the odd cameo.

TBQH, I'd never be as annoyed with any character replacement they do as I will be with how lame they made Jessie, James and Meowth. Fair enough they were always incompetent, but they used to be partway bad. Now they're just comedy, and there's no fear that they'd ever get away with anything. *headgunBANG* [/off_topic]

*Looks at poll results*
Ha, this forum is so biased.
Seriously, Misty HAD to go. Togepi sucked the life out of her, and the writers realized she needed to get healthy again. So they gave her some specials, to make it absolutely clear to everyone that she had moved on, to take up residence full time as Gym Leader. Now firmly entreched, she couldn't, wouldn't, and won't leave the gym. Her sisters aren't exactly competent to keep it running. The gym really needs her. She ain't coming back, folks. Anyone that has even the slightest glimmer of hope about that is an idiot. The specials SHOULD have satisfied the partisan nutcases. Or at least gotten them to acknowledge reality. But no. At least after three years, it seems to have died down. For any that still hope, GET OVER IT!

Is it really fair to say that the poll results are biased? It seems rather balanced towards both camps of the issue, with a slight underwhelming statistical skew towards those who thought Misty leaving was a bad idea. That's not even a simple majority; remember the Misty bias this forum supposedly has.

SPPf shows that 60% of the fanbase wants Misty back on the show, second only to May who has 65% of the SPPf fanbase wanting her to stay on the cast. Rather surprising that the two girls have statistically equal desirability among that forum considering the amount of negative noise generated about Misty there.

How dare you introduce logic! There's a Misty bias here because Scott SAID SO, dammit! You and your evidenciary support can just take a long walk off a short pier, like now!

Ah, but you only answered one part of my post. Do you agree with me on the other parts, then? If not, feel free to refute them.

I'm sorry, but the rest of your post didn't deserve a response:
Anyone that has even the slightest glimmer of hope about that is an idiot.

Misty got her bicycle back, that was the reason she followed ash. AG hasn't done anythign so special talking from a more odjetive point of view.

That was the initial reason for following Ash but she forgot about it pretty quickly. Just look at her reaction when Ash presented your view in Gotta Catch Ya Later.

In AG, a LOT has been done with Misty. Getting experience as a Gym Leader has done a lot for her while she has also kept her mothering qualities but with a baby that doesn't require her to hold it in her arms all day.

Misty was like Max. She is just a supporter nothing special! But May did contests which were exciting and she got tons and tons of fans.

The originator of this topic is now banned, this is an extremely old-news discussion that's been beaten to death several times over...I see no reason to keep this thread open.

However, if someone wants to take this thread to its logical extension and make a new thread on something like their impressions of May and/or her effect on the anime now that AG is done, feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom