• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why did the writes decide to make Jessie a "serious" rival?

anonymous920314

何だよ?!
Reaction score
What was the reasoning behind this? Were Dawn's rivals too boring and to make up for it they're using Jessie, someone who comes from a team that can never really get anything accomplished?

Or was this to finally have Team Rocket accomplish something? Are the writers moving in a new direction with the Team?

I think its just that Jessie was doing Contests for two regions before Dawn, so it was about time she finally started winning some after all her experience.

Also, if you recall, Jessie used to cheat in Contests. She used to attach devices to Dustox to give it a rainbow affect to make its appeal look better than it was, she tried to use Meowth in an appeal and told it to use the move transform (in which he would use Pokemon costumes), and she would abuse Chimecho by squeezing it and tossing it around during an appeal.

However since Jessie stopped cheating and started playing fair and square, she seems to be succeeding.

I wish we got to see who she beat in battle during the Fantina Gym episode, Yanmega must be tough.

Most likely to get Team Rocket more involved with the plot. Most of the time they were on the show, they've been the inept criminal element. They decided to allow Jessie to participate in contests because it would get terribly repeatitive if they just crashed every contest and stole Pokémon. (They've done this alot with Ash's competitions). So they gave them a bigger role during the contest arcs.

However, Team Rocket constantly failing to even qualify is just as predictable. So they've "promoted" Jessie from a joke entry to a rival on par with Harley (sorta).

The writers have always been promoting fair play by showcasing Team Rocket as able to do well in various types of contests when they actually follow the rules instead of resorting to cheating. Similiarly, when they cheat, they're usually disqualified when the cheating is discovered, rather than showing us they're such massive losers they can't even win by cheating. The moral here is simple: Even Team Rocket are able to do well when they try their best, while cheating never leads to anything good.

It's nothing new.

Team Rocket always being failures despite showing a lot of competence in some areas was getting old. Since they let James win that one competition in Battle Frontier, they could only hold out on letting Jessie win a ribbon for so long. And now that more thought is being put into her character, it was a natural follow-up to make her losses become more believable too. I'm not convinced that she's entirely a serious rival yet and there's no guarantee that she'll pick up another three ribbons. She's simply getting the better characterisation she deserves.

(Though I still count entering a contest during a Gym episode as cheating, if only in the meta sense.)

Last edited:
I wonder how they're going to pull off Jessie getting 3 more ribbons to get to the Grand Festival. Will it be more off-screen wins like in Fantina's ep?

Hikari only needs 2 more ribbons, so she'll definitly be losing at least one more contest before the Grand Festival. That'd be a great opportunity for Musalina to get another one.

Hikari only needs 2 more ribbons, so she'll definitly be losing at least one more contest before the Grand Festival. That'd be a great opportunity for Musalina to get another one.

But that's assuming Jessie will win the one Dawn loses at. Its possible we'll see Kenny win a Contest in the one Dawn loses, since we haven't seen him beat her yet.

I think the problem is they started having Jessie win Contests too late. Why didn't Jessie win a ribbon in early Sinnoh? Why wait till half the saga is over for her to start winning?

Unless they rush the next 3 ribbons for her off-screen, it honestly seems as if they started too late with this subplot. It should have started earlier.

Well, it's also very late for Dawn to win her second ribbon. So I don't think it's impossible. It really could be off-screen since Ash still have 3 badges to win. Or it could be that she beat Dawn to win one, beat Zoey to win one and beat Nando to win one. They could have contests that only Dawn and Jessie enter, only Jessie and Zoey enter, only Nando and Jessie enter.

Jessie could never win an official match against a twerp or a twerp-friend. It just doesn't work that way.

Well Snake, she did win against Kenny. With Dawn, she may have a chance. And with Zoey and Nando(if he didn't die from a heart attack ro something) she wouldn't win.

But I think they did this simply because, the comic villans could 'see the light' of winning fair and square, heh. Besides, with more evil teams around the writers are basically leaving JJM to their own devices

Jessie used Ash's Aipom to beat Dawn in that practice Contest, it doesn't count as much because it wasn't her Pokemon.

That contest was also unofficial, wasn't the prize just a bunch of bananas?

I'm quite glad they did. Enough with the foolish crap they make her do. If they want to be serious about her wishes to be a contest coordinator, they "beefed" it up right in time.

Jessie only has 3 Pokemon to work with, both Seviper and Wobbufett were in contests before and failed miserably at them.

Is Jessie going to use Yanmega to win the entire rest of her ribbons?

I think that Habunake is a very good battler, better than Dokucale ever was.

And I wonder if we'll see any Jessie training episodes?

Hmmm, sSeviper never was in a battle round before though was it? Other than against a probably dead Nando that was for plot devices heh.

But I'm pretty sure Jessie now knows Seviper's attacks and could battle better with it.

I agree with you on Wobuffet though.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom