• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why Did They Order The National Pokedex This Way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YaelleG

Reaction score
Something I was confused about for months is coming back to mess with me. Just when I thought I had it figured out, I started to think about it some more & now I'm just spaghetti. When I look at the Pokedex, I can not figure out why the have the numbering the way that they do. Is there some logic behind it? Here's an example:

Looking at Sinnoh, for example. If you look at numbers 1-19 in that region's dex, those first 19 coincide with national dex numbers 387-405. Then all of a sudden, the 20th one in it is national #63. WHAT?? I really don't get that & it makes it all so hard to figure out. It goes 63 to 65 then hops over to 129 and then between the 400s & 300s all over the place. How did they not just do like this: When they reached the 4th generation of Pokemon, start at whatever number they left off at and go up??

If (just an example) gen 4 is national numbers 387 to 493 how does its Pokedex contain 150 total for the regional side? The math does not add up. I am really, really,really sorry if this has been asked before. I scoured through dozens of pages on this site to check first & anything that was somewhat similar was not quite the same.

Looking at Sinnoh, for example. If you look at numbers 1-19 in that region's dex, those first 19 coincide with national dex numbers 387-405. Then all of a sudden, the 20th one in it is national #63.
So are you complaining about National ordering or regional ordering? Every regional Dex begins with your starters, then proceeds listint more common Pokemon first (and even more specifically, Pokemon along the first few routes between towns). This prevents the regional Dex from getting too 'scattered' (e.g. too many blank spaces between entries) too early. It's also probably the reason Victini is at the front of the Unova Dex instead of the back (where other event exclusives like Keldeo are), because you can acquire it early and having it there avoids 'spoiling' the size of the regional Dex as a whole.

BTW, Sinnoh Dex #20 is Abra, who can be acquired very early, at Sinnoh Route 203. THAT's why Abra occurs so early in the Sinnoh Dex, because you really can acquire one that early.

Oh wow that's really interesting Thanks for the info.
I wasn't complaining....Just asking. Its kind of hard to keep up with.
I *have* noticed that there are several instances where Pokemon coincide with the routes they can be found on & wondered.

If I could just add one question here....

I know that you haave to take stupidity into account in this situation, but the sheer #s of people asking for unobtainable in X&Y Pokemon on the GTS make me wonder if maybe at some point a few to many of the ones that are on the Not In X&Y Lists do become obtainable?

Its just that more than 80%....really that's being pretty generous...of the requests that I see each day on the GTS are for Pokemon such as Mudkip, Feebas, Totodile and especially Emboar + 1 or 2 others that are supposed to be not in the game. This just seems differnet than the usual (I will spare you my #1 biggest complaint & mystery about all of Pokemon & just say that it) makes me wonder if it goes beyond the usual greed/stupidity and has some explanation?

While I've never understood the motivation behind doing that in the 1st place - greed to the point of total delusion?? - is there maybe some part like say, after the main game where we can get those or is there some possible thing that is going on? Maybe a cheat program type of thing?
I know about the bank but that's not out yet so what is going on? They really should not allow this. Even with choosing the option to not show special pokemon I still see all that garbage.
People are pathetic.

I'm presuming people make impossible trade requests because they're trying to find/use a GTS exploit
or they're uninformed
or they're hoping someones hacked some in their game

Also you should have made a new thread for the question I just answered since it's unrelated to the topic of the thread.

is there maybe some part like say, after the main game where we can get those or is there some possible thing that is going on?
1 - In the G6 GTS you can type the name of a Pokemon species manually even if you don't have a Dex entry for it.
2 - In the XY postgame there is a Safari Zone. One area of it, the "Friend Safari", depends on who is registered on your 3DS as a friend and can contain almost ANY Pokemon, including wild starter Pokemon. Pokemon in the Friend Safari can also have their Hidden Abilities (like Froakies with Protean, an ability that changes the user's type to match whatever move they're using).

If I'm not mistaken you can't get things like Totodile, Mudkip etc in the Friend Safari though.
The only starters in there are 1st and 6th gen starters.

Last edited:
If that's true then it implies GF might be saving them for events.

...but that's a different story....

They will be available when Pokemon Bank arrives.
Sorta like how you couldn't get gen 1-3 starters in DP and had to use Pal Park.

The discussion is going off-topic. If you want to discuss matters related to asking about impossible Pokemon on GTS, the best place to bring that up is in the Video Games section, not here.

It also seems that the Topic Creator's question had been answered regarding that topic, so I think I will lock this thread.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom