• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why didn't Korrina's Gym Battle Pokemon had any counters against Psychic/Ghost/Fairy?

henrymidfields

Prime Minister of Shoyo 昇陽国内閣総理大臣
Reaction score
As the title said above. I battled Korrina and I was expecting a Dark-type move against my Honedge. Actually, I was relieved that there were no counters against me, considering just how much of a nasty surprise Viola and Grant were. (Especially for Grant, none of my Pokémon were of any use, not even my Fighting type! And my two starters were a Grass and a Water type.) But it did make me wonder why Korrina's Pokémon during the gym challenge didn't pack any Dark type moves to deal with Psychic/Ghost-type Pokémon, or Steel/Poison types for Fairy.

Is it because of Psychic/Ghost/Fairy-types in Gen 6 sucking massively? Or at least have defense stats so low as to make defensive type advantages moot? (But that doesn't explain Ghost types.) Or are the (most-likely-)not-fully-evolved Pokémon just don't have high enough stats at this point in the main game. For reference, here are the catchable Psychic/Ghost/Fairy evo lines up to Shalour City:

Azurill-Azumarill (Fairy), Ralts-Gardevoir (Psychic/Fairy), Flabebe-Florges (Fairy), Abra-Alakazam (Psychic), Espurr-Meowstic (Psychic), Honedge-Aegislash (Ghost), Spritzee (Fairy), Swirlix-Slurpuff (Fairy), Spoink (Psychic), Inkay-Malamar (Psychic, although it is also Dark), Staryu-Starmie (Psychic), Solrock and Lunatone (Psychic, but also Rock), Snubbull (Fairy), Sigilyph (Psychic, but weak to Korina's Rock-type moves), Golett-Golurk (Ghost), Espeon (Psychic) or Sylveon (Fairy), Chingling-Chimecho (Psychic), Dedenne (Fairy), Mr Mime (Psychic/Fairy), Wobbuffet (Psychic), Sableye (Ghost), Solosis-Reniclus (Psychic), Carbink (Fairy, but also Rock), and possibly Exeggcute-Ex and Slowpoke (both Psychic) in Shalour City side of Route 12.

We have 27 possible lines without trading. Say if we exclude Carbink, Solrock, Lunatone, Inkay for having another type that cancels out resistance against Fighting. We may also take out Carbink, Dedenne, and Chingling-Chimecho, as I have heard that they are flat-out useless in battle (from different pages discussing Pokemon in TV Tropes), and possibly Wobbuffet for being too gimmicky for in-game battles, and Sigilyph as at least one of Korrina's Pokémon has a Rock-type move. This still have 18 remaining, which I think is still more choices than previous generations. Korrina could have done with at least one of her Pokémon packing in a Dark/Poison/Steel-type move.

Edit:
I guess my next question is: for those who only used Psychic/Fairy and no Ghosts, how easy/difficult was it?

Last edited:
Re: Why didn't Korrina's Gym Battle Pokemon had any counters against Psychic/Ghost/Fa

It's catering to the little kiddies who spam their starter and cry when their Charizard and Mewtwo are beaten in online play.

If you want a serious answer, though, it is easiness and that their movepool (at least at this point in the game) is rather bad. I swept the gym with a Golett, so I know the general ease of it.

Re: Why didn't Korrina's Gym Battle Pokemon had any counters against Psychic/Ghost/Fa

Yeah my Honedge whiped the floor with her too, was so surprised she had nothing to hit a Ghost type with

Her Hawlucha couldn't even hurt my Honedge, I loled. She should've had that one in the cave, it killed 5 of my guys.

I guess my next question is: for those who only used Psychic/Fairy and no Ghosts, how easy/difficult was it?

Gyms having no counter to a certain type has been happening since Gen 1, Misty having nothing for Grass, Surge nothing for Ground, Erika having nothing for Fire, Koga for Ground as well, Blaine nothing for Water, Ground and Rock and other examples i can't remember. I agree that Korrina should have a pokemon with a Dark type move (Hawlucha with Payback) for Psychic and Ghosts and Poison Jab for Fairies. I had a Honedge so she was easy, but i know people who didn't had a Ghost in their team and they had some trouble with her.

But this problem of Gym Leaders being easily sweepable is due to the monotype teams, they seriously need to drop monotype teams if they want the games to have some sort of challenge (which none of the games since gen 1 have in my opinion). With the current monotype teams setup you can just catch a pokemon with a type advantage and easily sweep a Gym Leader, making Gym Leaders based on a theme or strategy (like Trick Room or Weather) would make them more difficult and nowhere as easy to sweep as they are now.

Last edited:

I used a Delphox on her team. Didn't even have to heal.
Answer: as much as I love X and Y it was stupidly easy that I could play blindfolded.

Oh man, do I have a story for this one. I used my Sylveon against Korrina, but I had no Fairy type STAB to use against her, and I simply spammed Swift until I won. I was battling for like, 20 turns against her Hawlucha and I don't think it ever did much damage to me (I might've healed like, once or something, but I definitely didn't need to heal that much). It was utterly hilarious.

She didn't even have Lucario on her team despite hanging around with it so much. If she'd Mega Evolved that Lucario then we'd be having some fun.

Reminds me of fighting Brawley with a Sableye. Immune to fighting/normal/psychic. It soloed the gym.

I do think this is an oversight when this stuff happens though.

Also:
Say if we exclude ... Chingling-Chimecho, as I have heard that they are flat-out useless in battle

:mad:
Not true! I love my Chimecho, and he's not useless! Plus even if it was, you can use anything in-game. In fact, I used my Chimecho back in Emerald for Battle Frontier facilities. I could have done it with something like a Wingull if I had wanted.

Last edited:

Also:
Say if we exclude ... Chingling-Chimecho, as I have heard that they are flat-out useless in battle

Not true! I love my Chimecho, and he's not useless! Plus even if it was, you can use anything in-game. In fact, I used my Chimecho back in Emerald for Battle Frontier facilities. I could have done it with something like a Wingull if I had wanted.

Sorry mate, I only stated the above (and others) since I've got that info from TV tropes. Link below: (Admittedly, that detail might only apply for Gen 3 games or when playing Smogon. I haven't personally used Chimecho so I've got no idea. Ditto with Carbink and Dedenne.)
Main/Junk Rare - Television Tropes & Idioms

Last edited:

Also:

Sorry mate, I only stated the above (and others) since I've got that info from TV tropes. Link below: (Admittedly, that detail could have only been for Gen 3. I haven't personally used Chimecho so I've got no idea.)
Main/Junk Rare - Television Tropes & Idioms

You... you linked tvtropes... must... resist click. But I can't! Goodbye rest of the night!

Had Honedge, swept with Alakazam.

Gyms having no counter to a certain type has been happening since Gen 1, Misty having nothing for Grass, Surge nothing for Ground, Erika having nothing for Fire, Koga for Ground as well, Blaine nothing for Water, Ground and Rock and other examples i can't remember. I agree that Korrina should have a pokemon with a Dark type move (Hawlucha with Payback) for Psychic and Ghosts and Poison Jab for Fairies. I had a Honedge so she was easy, but i know people who didn't had a Ghost in their team and they had some trouble with her.

But this problem of Gym Leaders being easily sweepable is due to the monotype teams, they seriously need to drop monotype teams if they want the games to have some sort of challenge (which none of the games since gen 1 have in my opinion). With the current monotype teams setup you can just catch a pokemon with a type advantage and easily sweep a Gym Leader, making Gym Leaders based on a theme or strategy (like Trick Room or Weather) would make them more difficult and nowhere as easy to sweep as they are now.
yes if they would use dual type teams and use all move slots they would be more of a challange.
(types+abilities+moves, right???strategy)

Last edited:
I used Gardevoir (probably didn't help that it was a bred Ralts with optimal moves). I didn't take a single hit (and I wasn't crazy overleveled)

But yes as others have said, many other early gyms lack counters to things (even if gen 1 misty can counter all the available grass types with starmie due to their off typing of poison). Especially gen one RBY when you can count the number of NPC pokemon with good movesets on one hand.

I swept the gym with Meowstic (F). I don't remember any battles being particularly difficult except Malva and Diantha and the ace trainer with the Weavile in Victory Road.

I don't remember much about that gym. I think I swept it with my Charizard... Not sure though..

I feel that things got especially lazy with the gym leader's initial teams during X and Y in general, to be honest.
When only one of the eight leaders (Olympia, if anyone's wondering) has all of their Pokémon with four moves, you're doing something wrong.

I understand them not wanting to show off Mega Evolution until the tower of mastery, but surely she could have had a Lucario with a fire or dark move or something to take on honedge. Honedge is really popular and if you have one, no matter how weak she can't land a hint, it makes a mockery of her status as a gym leader if she is that unprepared for a Ghost type. Usually gym leaders always have something to counter the types they are weak against.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom