• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why didn't Michael Jackson sing on a Pokemon soundtrack?

MJJpro

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I'm sure he was aware of it and probably liked Pokemon. Maybe 4Kids thought it would be too much money to pay him. I'm thinking why did mostly NOBODYs appear on the soundtracks? almost everyone on there nobody knew about.

It would be a budget thing. It's easier to recruit and license songs from less known artists, and it would undoubtedly be cheaper given how famous Michael Jackson was.

I think in recent times with Post Malone and Ed Sheeran, both are of the age that they grew up with Pokémon as a franchise, and Pokemon itself has gotten bigger. It's now the top media franchise in the world, so there's more money to have bigger artists.

The only times where the franchise got to work with famous artists while MJ alive was with movie 1 and 2's soundtracks, which were produced by Warner Music. A Quick Google search reveals that MJ's music belongs to Sony Music (their direct competition) and even if that was not a factor who knows if they could even have afforded him.

1. He was probably too expensive

2. He wasn't nearly as relevant in the late 90s and early 2000s as acts like N'Sync, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, and Vitamin C. True they got Donna Summers to sing "Power of One" but also see point number 1

3. There was no way in hell 4kids or PUSA was gonna get him to sing for Pokemon circa 2005 to his death in 2009. Some of y'all are really young and I don't think are aware of what the common opinion of Michael Jackson was in his last 5 years of life and how much his death completely shifted public opinion

Back
Top Bottom