• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do Gen 1 Ghosts not learn Poison Gas?

Te-em

I want to rp!
Reaction score
I posted this in the simple question thread, but didn't get any answer. I'm really curious of why the ghost Pokemon in Gen 1 do not learn Poison Gas, since they are poison type and gas-formed (at least the first stage). Does anyone have a theory about this?

I realy don't know,I think they just was poison for don't be so strong against pshichic ones

The only poison move it learns in gen 1 is toxic. Worst Poison type ever.

The answer to this question is: the same reason Kecleon does not learn Camouflage.

Because Gen I was a bit of a mess in regards of organizing what pokémon have what moves and what types.

I mean, Gengar's only damaging moves, through level up, were Lick, Night Shade, and Dream Eater.
One does Lv=Dmg which is pityful later in-game, one is 20BP, and one only works when the target is asleep.

And those two with Confuse Ray are the only Ghost moves.

Why haven't they learned Poison Gas since then though is weird. I guess GF forgot they are Poison Types.

I realised they missed Poison Gas when I was roleplaying. I had to give them the attack anyway in the RPG, because otherwise it would feel wrong. The encounter was in a mist, and there are also toxic mists in the RPG.

At least the first stage is gas formed. The other two stages, like Gengar, are more shadow-like, so they would only learn because of evolution I think.

I mean, there are two (three) Pokemon who just scream Poison Gas! in the first gen, but only one (two) learns it.

It can't? Not in Stadium either?

EDIT: I checked it up on the Pokemon wiki. It says it can learn Fly. It learns that, cut and strength.

It can't? Not in Stadium either?

EDIT: I checked it up on the Pokemon wiki. It says it can learn Fly. It learns that, cut and strength.
He can't learn Fly in Red and Blue but they fixed that in Yellow.

Ok, so that's why it learns in Stadium. It could have been Stadium 2 I played, though.

If you teach Charizard Fly in Yellow/Stadium and then transfer it over to R/B does Fly still work on it fine?

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom