• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do people hate Gen 4 and 5 so much?

Norzan has a point, that's usually what's brought up when it comes to Gen 5 (which is a shame, since Gen 5 has some of the more memorable pokemon for me). Poor Vanilluxe. Don't worry, you're still one of my favorites.

I don't at all understand the hate for Generation IV and V, either. Although, I haven't seen much hate for V aside from the generic "everything new sucks" kind of complaints.

Back in the day (my day... lol), Generation III was the unpopular Generation, but somewhere down the line Generation III went from hated to loved, and now Generation IV is hated. That I will never understand because I still think that D/P/Pt were way better games than R/S/E.

Norzan has a point, that's usually what's brought up when it comes to Gen 5 (which is a shame, since Gen 5 has some of the more memorable pokemon for me). Poor Vanilluxe. Don't worry, you're still one of my favorites.
At first i didn't cared for much of the Gen 5 pokemon but then i look at them individualy, saw what they were based off and oh boy are a lot of them creative and awesome, now a bunch of Gen 5 pokemon are some of my all time favourite pokemon. And i also like Vanilluxe.

At first i didn't cared for much of the Gen 5 pokemon but then i look at them individualy, saw what they were based off and oh boy are a lot of them creative and awesome, now a bunch of Gen 5 pokemon are some of my all time favourite pokemon. And i also like Vanilluxe.

I still think Garbador is ugly, but that pile of trash is no push-over when used in battles. Countless times I've been owned by Garbador at the Battle Subway. Decent pure Poison-types are rare, and Garbador was pretty good. And creative - who would have even thought about giving life to a pile of trash?

Huh? I don't honestly see a lot of hate for either of those. I don't even see opinions on Gen 4, probably because it's rather average. I've seen hate on the Gen 5 Pokémon, but pretty much everyone I know liked the games, especially because of the plot. But if there really is hate for those, it's simple. Most of the people hating on those generations are kids who grew up with the Hoenn games, so for them, that is their Kanto, aka the generation that can't be criticized because it's oh, so amazing. I don't really get them, though, I'm from the Kanto generation and my favorite generation's 5, although admittedly I'm not done with 6 yet (college's eating my free time...).

I can't help but love the originals the most. Soul silver and heart gold are awesome because they are the pokemon and regions I love, with better graphics and technology. I can't bring myself to continue to watch the new show episodes and I'll admit I haven't tried Black/White or Black2/White2 but I love the originals to much to let them go.

It's really random but I don't see it a lot. I've seen Gen IV get hated for it's map and number of legendaries. I also saw it get some heat for its slow frame rate once, but that's understandable. As for Gen V, the only hate I've really seen is "ice cream pokemon and garbage pokemon" complaints. Otherwise, I see a lot of positive response of it.

Eh, the one thing I notice many times throughout fandoms is that people in general (me included) like to nitpick and complain for the stupidest reasons. The same applies to Pokemon.
For every new game or remake that is made, people will complain about the game even existing, but, the same people at one point may have even complained about a game or remake like this not being made yet. It's silly and unnecessary, but its simply the way things are.
I personally like all of the games (Black2/White2 being the exception, I liked it only a little less engaging...I like, got to Castella City before getting distracted by other things and never really got around to finishing the game passed that point)

It wasn't the Pokemon that ruined gen 5 for me, I just didn't like that they 3Dised the environments but not the people and Pokemon, and the level designs are the best in the series but they were wasted on the DS when the 3DS was just around the corner (Heck I even played a 3DS at a pre-order event before BW's international release) and could've produced much better graphics for said levels.

I guess you could say I didn't like gen 5 because I was 3DS early adopter.

I like Gen 5 a lot, I just thought Gen 4 was dull. Don't get me wrong, there are a few nice Pokemon from Gen 4, including Weavile which is my favorite Pokemon next to Houndoom, but the games in general were just boring. But the remaining Pokemon aside from the very few I like, I just wasn't a fan of. And I didn't like any of the legendaries, I thought there were too many and wasn't a fan of any of the designs. To me they look overdone and silly. I guess the only ones I think are decent are Darkrai and Shaymin but they're not my favorites when it comes to design.

Yeah the Garbador, the Klink line and Vanillite get a lot of hate and were harped on a lot when Gen 5 came out. I don't think they're that bad, I think Voltorb/Electrode, Diglett/Dugtrio, and Magnemite/Magneton are in the same league if not more uncreative designs, especially the Voltorb line. Yet I don't see any hate for those.

Whenever a new Gen comes out, people complain about the non-animal Pokemon, which is sad. Pokemon are made up, and basing them off inanimate objects is more creative to me than ten more fox Pokemon.

Last edited:
I can understand the hate for Gen4, but Gen5? With BW1 and BW2 combined, you get the best plot, most lengthy story, best antagonist (N), lots of things to do post-game (BW2 and its various features), a region based in New York City, various version exclusive features, and the Global Link with Dream World. I can understand hating the Gen5 ANIME, but the games were seriously epic - where is this hate coming from?

I actually don't think 4th gen did much wrong, but for some reason opinions on 4th gen seem to be mixed.

As for your question about why people hate 5th gen, I'll give you my opinion. First of all, many of everyone's favorite gameplay features like Vs. Seeker and Secret Bases were removed, making the gameplay feel a bit too shallow. The game mechanics added didn't really make up for it, either. There weren't any real improvements made to the gameplay this gen, Triple and Rotation battles were gimmicks and didn't really impact the game that much, Shaking Spots and Double Grass weren't really utilized in meaningful ways, seasons wasn't really used much either and the seasonal cycle was too long to have a significant impact on the game, and there was nothing else that really added anything meaningful in the games. Second, the Pokemon were too unoriginal for the "fresh start" feeling. I don't really have a problem with some of the Pokemon being based on random objects as opposed to animals (after all, that's been going on since the very beginning with stuff like Magnemite, Voltorb, and Grimer), but too many of them had a similar role and feel to older Pokemon. It's not really a "fresh start" if you simply replace Zubat with Woobat, you have to be a bit more creative than that. Third was that they really dumbed the gameplay down this gen. Gym leader and Elite 4 battles were shorter and easier, there was a ton of handholding. And the regional design. Oh my God the regional design. They removed virtually all trace of exploration from the regional design, instead making the storyline path one straight shot simply going from gym to gym from start to finish. It makes progressing through the region feel like more of a chore than an adventure. Oh, and BW2 in particular was poorly designed, they failed to adjust the distribution and accessibility of certain features (Daycare and fossil restoration, for example) to the new storyline path, resulting in some very wonky distribution.

tl;dr The "fresh start" feel was unnecessary and poorly implemented, the gameplay was too dumbed down, and there weren't any meaningful improvements to the gameplay. It felt like an overall step backwards for the series.

I can understand the hate for Gen4, but Gen5? With BW1 and BW2 combined, you get the best plot, most lengthy story, best antagonist (N), lots of things to do post-game (BW2 and its various features), a region based in New York City, various version exclusive features, and the Global Link with Dream World. I can understand hating the Gen5 ANIME, but the games were seriously epic - where is this hate coming from?

I actually don't think 4th gen did much wrong, but for some reason opinions on 4th gen seem to be mixed.

As for your question about why people hate 5th gen, I'll give you my opinion. First of all, many of everyone's favorite gameplay features like Vs. Seeker and Secret Bases were removed, making the gameplay feel a bit too shallow. The game mechanics added didn't really make up for it, either. There weren't any real improvements made to the gameplay this gen, Triple and Rotation battles were gimmicks and didn't really impact the game that much, Shaking Spots and Double Grass weren't really utilized in meaningful ways, seasons wasn't really used much either and the seasonal cycle was too long to have a significant impact on the game, and there was nothing else that really added anything meaningful in the games. Second, the Pokemon were too unoriginal for the "fresh start" feeling. I don't really have a problem with some of the Pokemon being based on random objects as opposed to animals (after all, that's been going on since the very beginning with stuff like Magnemite, Voltorb, and Grimer), but too many of them had a similar role and feel to older Pokemon. It's not really a "fresh start" if you simply replace Zubat with Woobat, you have to be a bit more creative than that. Third was that they really dumbed the gameplay down this gen. Gym leader and Elite 4 battles were shorter and easier, there was a ton of handholding. And the regional design. Oh my God the regional design. They removed virtually all trace of exploration from the regional design, instead making the storyline path one straight shot simply going from gym to gym from start to finish. It makes progressing through the region feel like more of a chore than an adventure. Oh, and BW2 in particular was poorly designed, they failed to adjust the distribution and accessibility of certain features (Daycare and fossil restoration, for example) to the new storyline path, resulting in some very wonky distribution.

tl;dr The "fresh start" feel was unnecessary and poorly implemented, the gameplay was too dumbed down, and there weren't any meaningful improvements to the gameplay. It felt like an overall step backwards for the series.

The story plot was of best quality, imo. Personally, BW had the best plot of all pokemon games, hands down. Cyrus is practically nothing compared to N and Ghetsis in terms of story. Especially N.

If the hates are coming from people who have played the games, then okay - personal opinion. What I cannot accept is people hating on gens without even playing it because they are still around saying the 'Gen5 pokemon designs suck'. Sure, I played Gen5 and some of the pokemon designs kinda suck, but they all have great potential battle-wise.

The pokemon designs did not make me hate Gen5 - because the plot was very interesting and captivating that I was determined to explore these games thoroughly to the end. The designs became a very minor feature to me since the whole Plasma part was more than enough to make me fall in love with Unova

Gen 4 was quite linear too wasn't it?

Not in the way Unova was. Unova was basically a straight path from start to finish, while Sinnoh had several twists and turns along the way. You had to backtrack to areas and there were multiple ways to progress at certain points. Sure there were some sections were you only had one way to go, but that happens in every Pokemon game to some degree, that doesn't really make it bad.

The story plot was of best quality, imo. Personally, BW had the best plot of all pokemon games, hands down. Cyrus is practically nothing compared to N and Ghetsis in terms of story. Especially N.

Oh no, I agree that the storyline was amazing, but for me the gameplay is the most important aspect of pretty much any game, so that doesn't really make up for it.

If the hates are coming from people who have played the games, then okay - personal opinion. What I cannot accept is people hating on gens without even playing it because they are still around saying the 'Gen5 pokemon designs suck'. Sure, I played Gen5 and some of the pokemon designs kinda suck, but they all have great potential battle-wise.

Just ignore those guys. Most of those complaints are pretty much unfounded and hypocritical, there's nothing 5th gen did wrong design wise that any other gen did not.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom