• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do people hate Gen 4 and 5 so much?

I don't hate the gen 4 pokemon, I just hate playing the games. Diamond and Pearl are soooooo sloooooow.

Gen 3: Run into grass (1 sec), wild pokemon transition (0.25 sec), wild pokemon slides across screen (1 sec). Total time before you can do things again: 2.25 sec
Gen 4: Run into grass (1 sec), wild pokemon transition (0.75 sec), wild pokemon slides across screen (1.25 sec), wild pokemon cry/movement (0.25 sec). Total time before you can do things again: 3.25 seconds.

That really adds up over time. Not to mention the slower attack animations and the time it takes to "think" after you choose an action. I do have to say, though, that B/W were a huge improvement in this area

I actually have the opposite problem - I prefer Gen.4 and Gen.5 to Gens. 3 and 6, because they were the generations that got me into the Pokémon fandom. (Now, B2/W2, I could do without, but that's another story.)

Even so, my favourite generation will always be Johto and GSC, and I have no feelings for Kanto/RBY/Gen.1.

I don't hate the gen 4 pokemon, I just hate playing the games. Diamond and Pearl are soooooo sloooooow.

Gen 3: Run into grass (1 sec), wild pokemon transition (0.25 sec), wild pokemon slides across screen (1 sec). Total time before you can do things again: 2.25 sec
Gen 4: Run into grass (1 sec), wild pokemon transition (0.75 sec), wild pokemon slides across screen (1.25 sec), wild pokemon cry/movement (0.25 sec). Total time before you can do things again: 3.25 seconds.

That really adds up over time. Not to mention the slower attack animations and the time it takes to "think" after you choose an action. I do have to say, though, that B/W were a huge improvement in this area

Don't forget damage animation. Try using Focus Punch on a Wailord. It takes like 30 seconds for the HP to drain completely.

I actually had the opposite problem with Gen.3 - things went too fast, and I kept bumping into walls and the like, and things jerked around a lot. Gen.4 with its lower frame rate felt more... cinematic, I suppose is the word.

I have a new question. Why do people here hate Arceus?

One of the big reasons might be because Arceus is a catch-all god. It doesn't really do much - it's just kind of there as an esoteric "creator of the universe" deal. It doesn't have anything special to make it badass or useful; it's just... kinda there, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
I personally disliked Diamond and Peal's storyline because of the way Pokemon were distributed-- seriously, only access to two Fire types in the story line? It basically forced you to choose Infernape if you didn't want to capture a Rapidash. I felt as if something was missing in Sinnoh. As for the Pokemon though, we did get some awesome ones that gen: Garchomp, Magnezone, Honchcrow, Togekiss, just to name a few.

I liked Gen 4 pokemon, and the mythology surrounding it but Sinnoh as a region was awful (Mt. Coronet...) and after you beat the elite 4, there wasn't much to do but get the Gen 1 evolution items. I only had Diamond and Pearl so I'm not sure about how much more there was to do in Platinum.

For Gen 5, I only have Black 2 but it is right behind GSC in terms of favorites. Not sure how much I like the region but there is a lot to do post game with Black Tower, the World Tournament and the Elite 4 which I think is a lot harder than previous generations. Iris makes me want to throw my DS out the window and I've never been that upset since Koga in Gen 2. Also Gen 5 gets a bonus for having memorable music. (Swords of Justice, Elite 4, Village Bridge, ...N's Room ._.)

I don't care if Kanto Johto Hoenn or even Unova gets remade in 3D again, but I'd rather not see Sinnoh remade.

Diamond and Pearl had a few problems I didn't like very much, such as the lack of fire types and the insane level jump from the 8th gym to the Elite 4, but Platinum improved on a lot of things and it's one of my top favorite Pokemon games. I just hate how extremely slow the game is compared to others (especially when you're 'saving a lot of data' ugh -.-) I did complain about how a majority of the Pokemon were legendaries or just pre-evolutions or evolutions to already existing pokemon, but that was something I got over. Gen 2 pretty much did the same thing so it's no big deal.

A lot of people seem to dislike Barry as a rival in the games but I think he's one of the best in terms of his team and his personality. He's your friend and yet he's competitive with you. He's not just a complete jerk like Green or Silver or all buddy buddy with you like Calem/Serena. Plus I just love his battle music and his little dancing animation he does in Platinum.

Gen 5 had the best overall story to me, at least in the first games. The sequels lost points with me because Team Plasma basically became Team Rocket 2.0 in terms of their goal. It was a lot better and more developed in the first games, especially with N and Ghetsis. I have a friend who disliked that BW only featured Gen 5 Pokemon in the first games. He says that while they're not bad, the're bot all that good either, so he was thrilled that the sequels featured some of the older pokemon.

pokemon like Arceus just plain suck. period. you can't compare the new legendaries to Mewtwo, Lugia, Mew, Ho-Oh, etc. The new ones are very forgettable in my opinion. Nostalgia maybe but its just not as good as it used to be. The Mega pokemon are most gen 1 for a reason!!!

pokemon like Arceus just plain suck. period. you can't compare the new legendaries to Mewtwo, Lugia, Mew, Ho-Oh, etc. The new ones are very forgettable in my opinion. Nostalgia maybe but its just not as good as it used to be. The Mega pokemon are most gen 1 for a reason!!!
Oh look someone trying to pass his opinion as fact, i like Arceus as much as the Gen 1 and 2 legendaries and i remember every single legendary so no they are not forgettable. And most of the mega evo are Gen 1 mons because GF pandered to the "gen 1 fans" and they tried to win the Gen 1 crowd back and if i were them i wouldn't waste time with the Gen 1 crowd.

You have no clue how wrong you are.

I understand your point of view on the subject but you can't really get me to believe that Kyogre, Groudon, palkia, Dialga, Deoxys are all on the same level as Mewtwo, Entei, Suicune, Motres and Zapdos?

I meant it in an overall sense though! Zekrom, Rayquaza are really awesome pokemon.

?.....

Nostalgia maybe but its just not as good as it used to be
...Now i get it, the newer Pokemon "suck" because they weren't around during Gen I or II

I'm sorry but your post is just pure nostalgia-driven bias, you didn't even gave a proper reason to why the newer legendaries are "forgettable".

I understand your point of view on the subject but you can't really get me to believe that Kyogre, Groudon, palkia, Dialga, Deoxys are all on the same level as Mewtwo, Entei, Suicune, Motres and Zapdos?
What is this "level" your taking about?

Last edited:

I meant it in an overall sense though! Zekrom, Rayquaza are really awesome pokemon.
Well that's your OPINION not a fact, in my opinion those legendaries that you think are not in the same level as the Gen 1 and 2 legendaries are actualy on the same level of them or even higher.

Well, of course it is an opinion. I've owned blue, silver, crystal, sapphire, emerald, pearl, soulsilver and i'm an avid collector of current and past pokemon cards. I understand it's an unpopular opinion but the quality of the legendaries and pokemon in general just don't seem to live up to original designs. With the sheer number of pokemon in existence it's not something i'm really that disappointed in though. Just my opinion though! I apologize for me passing it off as fact! Not my intention. Those legendary pokemon may be your favorites!! I did not mean to disrespect them!

?.....

Nostalgia maybe but its just not as good as it used to be
...Now i get it, the newer Pokemon "suck" because they weren't around during Gen I or II

I'm sorry but your post is just pure nostalgia-driven bias, you didn't even gave a proper reason to why the newer legendaries are "forgettable".

I understand your point of view on the subject but you can't really get me to believe that Kyogre, Groudon, palkia, Dialga, Deoxys are all on the same level as Mewtwo, Entei, Suicune, Moltres and Zapdos?
What is this "level" your taking about?

I'm a huge pokemon card fan and I also include the overall art design as my personal criteria. I like groudon and zekrom very much but just not on the same level as Lugia or Mewtwo. I guess one level is A+ and the other level is A. Good but not greatness???

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, of course it is an opinion. I've owned blue, silver, crystal, sapphire, emerald, pearl, soulsilver and i'm an avid collector of current and past pokemon cards. I understand it's an unpopular opinion but the quality of the legendaries and pokemon in general just don't seem to live up to original designs. With the sheer number of pokemon in existence it's not something i'm really that disappointed in though. Just my opinion though! I apologize for me passing it off as fact! Not my intention. Those legendary pokemon may be your favorites!! I did not mean to disrespect them!
Well if you think Arceus sucks and that Kyogre, Groudon and such are not on the same level as Mewtwo, Lugia and the rest of Gen 1 and 2 legendaries that's your opinion and i respect it, to each their own. But when you say stuff like the newer legendaries are forgettable, well that's not true, they might be forgettable to you but to people like me they are unforgettable.

I think people's opinions depend on how long they've been playing. After having played Pokémon for ten years, I've really stopped enjoying it as much. Generation II was my first series, and I'm having a blast replaying Crystal right now (HG/SS didn't do it for me). Gen III was fun at first, and I have great memories of playing Emerald, but for whatever odd reason, I don't really want to replay it - I would probably play a remake, but I'd rather they kept making new regions. Gen IV was great, the new graphics and gameplay had a huge impact on me, and the storyline was also very good. I also really liked the evolutions of previous Pokémon (Yanmega, Gallade, Gliscor) as well as many of the new ones.

Generation V, I think, was when I realized: Nothing had really changed over those years - they used the same cut & paste storyline for every new entry, only with new Pokémon and fancier graphics each time. This realization just caused me to enjoy it less: I still played through Black, and then White 2, but I didn't get as much out of them. Who knows, maybe they too will become fond memories.

Now, Generation VI... Where do I start?
When they announced Gen VI, I didn't really bat an eyelid. The Grass and Fire starters looked alright, and both legendaries looked pretty awesome, but the 3-D didn't have me hyped, for two reasons; One, they had already done 3-D Pokémon games... TEN YEARS BEFORE. Pokémon: Colosseum (one of my personal favorites - go and play it NOW) was released in 2004, followed by XD a year after. They weren't exactly quality 3-D, but they were still fantastic for their time (With GameCube limitations, too). The second reason was that Pokémon just didn't fit in the 3-D world. It was good for spinoffs like Colosseum/XD (which I would LOVE to see a sequel to), but the 2-D spriting style always held a place in my heart.

And as they released more details, it just got worse: Team Flare looked like idiots, even more than team Galactic did. Pink-fluffy-type was revealed. And that keychain... WTF? Mega evolutions seemed like a good idea, and some such as Garchomp, both Mewtwos, and Pinsir looked great. Others, like Ampharos, Heracross, and Manectric just looked dumb.

So that's my stance on the whole thing; I don't particularly hate any generation, I've just grown tired of the games. Still holding out for that Colosseum sequel, though! (Wait, I'd have to buy a Wii U? NEVER!)

To me, it just seemed like the Pokemon designs are what seems to be a letdown as far as Gen 5 is concerned. Heck, even I wasn't too pleased with how the Pokemon look and I'm like nowhere near what you would classify as a "genwunner". Other than that though, I really don't see anything that disappointing with 5th gen overall. The storyline was amazing, the characters were really cool and it was even take a step further in BW2, which I got pretty hooked on for quite a while! Honestly, if any game is a disappointment, it might as well be B/W, mostly because there was jack shit to do at the end of the game but participate in Battle Subway, which I hated with a passion because it was so mind-numbingly boring.

Gen 4 though? I was honestly shocked when I was looking at this thread and noticed that there was any hate towards Gen 4 at all. This gen gave us some of the best competitive pokes that are used to this day, and gave Pokes that were once underwhelming a chance at the competitive scene by giving them an evo. Not only that, the story wasn't really lackluster, and it's arguably on par with Gen 5 as far as sinister planning is concerned, so I really don't see any negative points about it. The worst thing about D/P was that it was really slow and surfing took forever, which was fixed when Platinum was released, so again, I don't see the big deal.

Man, every generation seems to have hate though, regardless. I gave up trying to figure people and their hate towards gens a long time ago. I'm personally indifferent and each gen has their ups and downs and that's how I'll continue to see it.

I've noticed most newer members of this site (those who joined in 2013) seem to find Gen IV and V unfavorable while older members like myself(who've been here longer than 2012) seem to enjoy them :look:

Last edited:
i think gen 3 and 4 are actually probably the best in the series that being said gen 5 seems while i like a lot of the Pokemon designs seem to me like filler if you will with no point

For me the release of XY made gen V look even better. Gen VI disappointed me, BW brought so much changes and whole new possibilities for the series while XY ignored all that and just made mandatory improvements. I'm neutral towards gen IV, it improved the battle system and introduced nice features that were perfected in BW, but the Sinnoh dex is my least favorite and the characters are a tad unappealing.

Generation IV isn't so much hated as it is considered dull. Which I agree with. While Generation V had many more ugly Pokemon, overrated walking anime cliches (N and Bianca, I'm looking at you), and linearity, it was more memorable. Generation IV was just extremely slow and mired in boredom. I prefer IV to V, though, because some of the new Pokemon were actually cool (Gliscor, Honchkrow) and HG/SS were fantastic games.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom