• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do people hate Gen 4 and 5 so much?

it was pretty awesome that you could pick the game's difficulty in B2W2.

It would have been pretty awesome if you could do it from the beginning of the game, instead of after finishing the game, in which case there's no point to it anyway.

doesn't that happen if you reset the game and you're still on a different difficulty from Normal?

The only way you can start the game on Challenge Mode is if you can communicate locally with someone who's already beaten Black 2, which is such a restrictive requirement that very few people are capable of doing that.

I agree with the Gen 4 and 5 hate. Gen 4 as I'm playing Platinum now is mostly item evolve Pokemon by trade or some stone and if I can't trade or get the stone I can't get a certain Pokemon to many item evos of old Pokemon sadly. Gen 5 some cool designs but I agree an ice cream cone and trash bag are weird! Your garbage became sentiment and became a Pokemon WHAT? and you eat ice cream it's not a Pokemon come on!!!!

I believe Gen 6 has some cool designs although I wish there were more legendaries from past games to help complete the dex. :-( Not sure if the rumor Gen 7 is true but those sound like cool designs to me. (Some tear drop pokemon was in the rumor)

I believe Gen 6 has some cool designs although I wish there were more legendaries from past games to help complete the dex. :-( Not sure if the rumor Gen 7 is true but those sound like cool designs to me. (Some tear drop pokemon was in the rumor)

Initial paired versions like XY never have a lot of legendaries. Wait until ORAS and Z/XY2 come out, we'll probably see a lot of legendaries in those games.

I still prefer Gen V to Gen VI. There's much less to complain about.
However, EV training did suck in previous Gens.

The only thing that's really bad about Gen V is that the daycare isn't available in B2W2 until after you beat the game... that was just terrible.
And in Gen IV, it's impossible to get a Weavile until after you beat the game. That was stupid, especially when I wanted one on my team for the Elite 4.

Otherwise, they're really not that bad! I guess people just forget the old as soon as something new comes in. I'm starting my third Platinum playthrough and it's still great. HGSS were awesome. Black/White has the best story of any game, and B2W2 improved on it in almost every way.

I don't think it's the generation overall that people hate, but things from it. Certain characters, Pokemon, locations or gameplay mechanics. Which is understandable really, as everybody has different likes & dislikes.

I know a lot of people dislike Gen IV for the abundance of cross-generation evolutions it introduced, and Gen V because of some of the Pokemon's designs. That said, something as minor as that shouldn't spoil your love of the games, which are after all, pretty damn fantastic.

Though, I'm never really sure why people hate on Gen III. Sure, it dropped the GBC games behind, but I think we can all agree that that was eventually for the best.

I disiked Gen 3 so much when it first came out that it got me out of Pokemon for good. I couldn't carry my old pokemon over, and Nintendo expected me to start all over again? Plus I didn't much care for the graphics. I was young then though (about 14). Now that ORAS is coming out, I'm eager to see what I missed. as for gen 4, I won't touch it with a ten foot pole now that they got rid of the connectivity for gens 4 and 5. No point playing if I can't bring over my pokemon.

I generally felt the Gen 4 games were slower than most others and that really hurt it. It made grinding feel like a chore. I disliked most of the Gen 4 starters too except Turtwig which was awesome. Sinnoh felt generic as well after Johto, Kanto and Hoenn. Gen 5 I liked better for the story and the Pokemon (minus a few obvious exceptions). Overall Unova didn't do too much either. It felt generic.

Gen 5 was easily my favorite generation by far. (Most of) The Pokemon's designs were excellent, gameplay was fun, we didn't have freaking static sprites, a legitimate story, excellent characters, interesting region design, the soundtrack... Everything about it was lovely, and the only thing I can think of that was bad were the elemental monkeys, seriously, those were abominations.

Gen 4 was my second favorite. Excellent Pokemon designs, good characters, some of which even surprassed Gen 5, great AI (By Pokemon standards, anyway)... Only the framerate screwed everything up, along with the music sometimes sounding like it came from a GBA. Also, the Underground sucked.

As Norzan and Rainbow said, it's a cycle. Believe it or not Gen III use to be the black sheep of Pokemon, now people are going "HOENN CONFIRMED!" whenever Hoenn is mentioned.

tumblr_mjq10uA1Wu1r5wkkso1_1280_zps1dd9b0fc.png

In a couple of years people will be calling Gen IV will be "The Best Gen Evar!!!".

Gen. 4 was the best ever. At least to me... Gen. 1 was without a doubt the worst. It's a miracle those games even worked with the amount of glitches they had. The sprites were awful, the aforementioned glitches were more often than not gamebreaking, and then the fact that Psychic was inadvertently unstoppable thanks to them forgetting to program in the weakness to Ghost and Bug being considerably nerfed. I love the Kanto games, but let's be real, that is the worst gen. Gens 4 and 5 don't deserve half of the hate they get.

And I've actually never seen hate for Sinnoh. Kanto, Hoenn and Unova, definitely. But not for Johto, Sinnoh or Kalos.

Not looking at the enhancement in the graphics and gameplay, for me they are all great. The only thing that I do appreciate in Gen VI is the Exp Share in which in the previous gen are only applicable to one Pokemon only. Older gens are the period that training Pokes are hard until you finish the game(beating the Elite Four and the Champ). Though they have their own flaws, but in every flaws, there is always a reason to love it.

But overall, I don't hate Gen IV and V.

I disiked Gen 3 so much when it first came out that it got me out of Pokemon for good. I couldn't carry my old pokemon over, and Nintendo expected me to start all over again? Plus I didn't much care for the graphics. I was young then though (about 14). Now that ORAS is coming out, I'm eager to see what I missed. as for gen 4, I won't touch it with a ten foot pole now that they got rid of the connectivity for gens 4 and 5. No point playing if I can't bring over my pokemon.

Neither Poketransfer nor Bank use the DS' Wi-Fi. You're perfectly capable of transferring Pokemon from as far back as 3rd gen.

Though I do have to say, Gen 3 is when I stopped playing religiously, and it's only now with Gen 6 that I'm back and wish I had played all the other games! Can't wait for the remakes to launch!!!

Though, I'm never really sure why people hate on Gen III. Sure, it dropped the GBC games behind, but I think we can all agree that that was eventually for the best.

Problem for me was that I was practically spolit for the inter-regional connection between Kanto and Johto. And I expected that to continue onwards onto later games. At least GF could have not chosen Kyushu, but Hawaii for the "Hoenn" region - that way, the isolation from the previous two regions would have been more justified - because it's the Pokémon world equivalent of overseas. (Plus, that would have tied nicely with the Orre games, both being Poke-USA and that, and it's still a place that the majority of the Japanese audience would be familiar with.) Ditto with "Shinnoh": it could have been Russia, Alaska, Canada/Nth USA (esp Seattle-Vancouver), Scandinavia, or Finland. I'm glad that they've justified it with Unova and Kalos.

The GBC was another stumbling block at that time, but it was not so much the lack of connection as per se, because now I know that wasn't GFs fault. The problem was that there was very little information about the decision-making at that time - I only found out the technical issues much later.

Given that I was 8th Grade at the time of Gen 3's start, I may have reacted badly to Gen 3 regardless. But if my first point was carried out, then I would have been more willing to revisit than what is the case with the current ORAS. (I only intend to be playing ORAS just to get the Gen 3 legendaries to complete my Kalos Pokedex. If Orre gets into the 3DS by any chance, then I'll happily buy that and explore that region for the Gen 3 reprise.)

(PS At least we can laugh at and affectionately mock the Gen 1 horror sprites. Wigglytuff on crack, anyone?)

Last edited:
Seriously why do people think gen 1, 2, 3 and 6 are better than Diamond, Pearl, Black and White? i didn't find any problem with the games and i thought the Pokemon designs were good why do people hate these games so much?

I don't get why people hate Gen 5, either, considering as it had the best story out of all of the previous gens - and, argueably, out of Gen 6.

Seriously why do people think gen 1, 2, 3 and 6 are better than Diamond, Pearl, Black and White? i didn't find any problem with the games and i thought the Pokemon designs were good why do people hate these games so much?

I don't get why people hate Gen 5, either, considering as it had the best story out of all of the previous gens - and, argueably, out of Gen 6.

I hated 5 for the same reason I hated 3: so many changes, I feared they would destroy my favorite series at first. I found the sprites looking heavily pixelated, found it hard to get used to the new pokes because they were all new, no familiar faces. And the story, the entire game felt so much darker. However, having learned from my mistake of not getting to know the games because of my initial struggle, I continued anyways. And though they will never be my favorite gen of games, many if my favorite pokes now are from gen 5. The story took some getting in to for me, but is was brilliant. Hands down the best story of all pokemon games. So I think some people might just not give it a chance, change is scary andsome people might give up before getting to know the gen really.

Most people agree that 5th gen's story is infinitely better than 6th gen, I'd actually rank 6th gen behind 4th gen as well.

Anyway, the reason I don't like is because they simplified things too much and started pandering too much towards little kids. They stripped gameplay features out of the game for no reason, the region design was dumbed down to the point of being a straight line path and you were railroaded the entire game, the overall difficulty decreased and trainer rosters had size limits. Also, many of the Pokemon were far too similar to previous ones, more than any generation so far, which completely detracts from the "fresh start" feel they were going for (and IMO that was completely unwarranted anyway, Pokemon didn't need any kind of simplification in many of the ways that they ended up doing it). Aside from the changes in storyline, the whole generation just felt like a step backwards from previous generations in every other way and has put the series in the wrong direction.

Every generation will have its detractors. Although I tend to notice more people hating on gen 1 and 3 rather than 4 and 5.

One thing I did not like about Gen 5 though, was just how difficult the levelling up was, and just how some of the wild Pokémon in Black and White seemed to cause the most trouble for level grinding. Seriously, I'm at a loss when people find BW "too easy", because it was the most difficult for me, simply because of how the game is so stingy with experience points to an artificial level, and just how some of the wild Pokémon likes to screw my Pokémon over. I'm also at an equal loss when people say they have trouble with the levelling up in GSC, because, honestly, at least GSC's wild Pokémon didn't force me back to a Pokémon Centre every 2-3 battles (unless if I'm against a suicide-bombing Graveler etc), and at least the experience handout amount was consistent. Unless, if we are talking about that huge level jump from Blue to Red - that is something that HGSS haven't addressed enough.

What I'm not currently understanding is why Kalos isn't susceptible to the usual new gen hate. Probably because of CHARIZARD and KANTO, but still it is odd.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom