• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do people hate Gen 4 and 5 so much?

Nothing is forcing you to use any of those features, you don't have to use those facilities to beat the game. You're complaining about the wrong aspect of this.

Then, please, do tell me a postgame alternative to competitive battling in XY. And, no, you can't say Dex completion.

I think the point Bolt the Cat is trying to make is that the complaining should be about the lack of postgame, instead of the metagame postgame. Wereas your argument is that the lack of postgame is BECAUSE the focus on the metagame (which is a good point, btw), Bolt is not saying that is not true, but that the complaint should be that there is no postgame NEXT TO the focus on the metagame. There should be content for both kinds of players, not a focus on one or the other.

Just my two cents in this discussion.

I think the point Bolt the Cat is trying to make is that the complaining should be about the lack of postgame, instead of the metagame postgame. Wereas your argument is that the lack of postgame is BECAUSE the focus on the metagame (which is a good point, btw), Bolt is not saying that is not true, but that the complaint should be that there is no postgame NEXT TO the focus on the metagame. There should be content for both kinds of players, not a focus on one or the other.

Thank you for clarifying, Rhyme. I do agree with you. Every game should have a good postgame that isn't some sort of competitive battling, because not everyone is into that. All kinds of playstyles deserve equal focus, and I just feel that GF has been giving more attention to the competitive side in recent years.

Gen V is my favorite so far. I liked not seeing any of the Gen I-IV Pokemon during the BW main story. I hadn't played Pokemon since Ruby in 2003, so it was like being introduced to the series all over again and it made the game challenging because I had to learn Unova and its Pokemon on the fly instead of falling back on what I already knew.

I never really liked Gen III when it first came out, but that mostly had to do with the Hoenn dex excluding many of my old favorites (even though I liked many of the new ones). I was so turned off that I never really gave Ruby a fair chance, and I regret that. I'm looking forward to revisiting it in OR.

I can't really say much for the regions prior to 3. But aside from that, I think almost every Generation has something good about it (though 4 will forever and always be my favorite for nostalgia reasons :))"

3: A beautifully diverse region

4: An awesome roster of Pokemon

5: A well-executed story

6: Great visuals

Most of my Poke-friends adored and worshiped Gen V, specifically Black/White. They love the story so much and the complete new roster of Pokemons. I do agree with them though and Gen V being my second favorite after Gen III. Gen IV was okay. Personally I find it lackluster but it's not the worst in gameplay or experience, I'd give that title to Gen VI for the most underwhelming generation in the Pokemons. From what I've read and seen from all the posts in online communities, it seems that the most hated thing about the Gen IV are the convoluted pre-evos and evos of past Pokemons. I do quite agree with it. I'm not against the idea but I absolutely hated the designs. Story-wise, I think Gen IV is the second best after Gen V. It also has one of the edgiest villain groups. The Sinnoh region is beautiful and most of my favorite Pokemon musics are from the Sinnoh. So if I were to rank my favorite to least liked generations, it would be III, V, II, IV, I, VI.

I know a lot of people hate gen 4 for being "too slow" , but I didn't really feel that way. Though to be honest, Pearl was the first game I played (nostalgia!). But even after going back and playing FireRed and Emerald, I didn't find Pearl/Platinum considerably slower, but that's just me. I also know that people hate Sinnoh's design, hate the story, hate the dex, etc, but I again, I like all of these things as gen 4 is one of my favorites.

Gen 5, however, I do dislike, with BW1 being the main source of my hatred. I find most of the Pokemon introduced in gen 5 to be either fugly as hell or just totally lame. Now there are a few gen 5 Pokemon that are some of my all time favs, but like I said...very few. I also hated the fact that I was forced to only see and use these Pokemon all throughout BW1. I never understood the purpose of not having any pre-gen 5 Pokemon appear before beating the game. The story also sucked greatly imo and I find Team Plasma to be one of the worst teams ever, and this is coming from someone who who's liked all of the earlier stories minus gen 2. Finally, Unova's design was too linear and boring for my tastes. Thankfully BW2 improved on all 3 of these aspects, but overall I do still find this to be one of my least favorite generations.

My opinion for BW is quite mixed. Was the story good? Yes - in fact it inspired me to think up of a possible fanfic for a Pokémon-Fire Emblem crossover. Mainly the one where a present-day Desmond (from Blazing Sword) conspires to do a similar thing like Ghetsis did, resulting in Zephyr declaring humans are bastards and handing over Europe for the dragons, and Roy (from Binding Blade) uncovering this conspiracy.

Did I enjoyed it? Not really. One problem was the pacing: I thought that was the weakest - levelling up is a pain in my Black 1, one that I found worse than the supposedly given-flak GSC. That itself was doable, I guess, but it was further aggravated by the Wi-Fi shutdown earlier this year; I ended up stressing out throught the whole game trying to complete the game and the Unova Pokedex, and send the uncatchables in Pokémon Y over via Poke-Bank. (For those who don't know, I only got back to Pokémon via XY, and started playing Black from December last year.) That ended up ruining my enjoyement of the game. I know, that's not really fair, but that is what I feel at the moment.

XY at least were the games that got me back into Pokémon, so that's obviously not a bad thing for me. Plus, it's fun seeing some of the fake-Megas coming up in the FB fan page for Pokémon XY. And I've found a couple of Gym Leaders quite challenging (eg Grant, and to some extent, Clemont; definitely not Wulfric though), and I wanted to play catch up and get to know some of the Pokémon that I missed (leading to raising 24 Pokémon on my main rotation). So it was neither excessively easy, nor was I overlevelled. The story, well, could have been better, but then again, only Gen 5 had anything of a concerted effort for a game closer to being Pulitzer Prize material anyway, and it was a tough act to follow for Gen 6.

RSE, on the other hand, I would be a lot more accepting if GF went all the way in for a completely new region, and decided to model Hoenn from Hawaii. Finding out that the dual-regions no longer apply was neither so much fun, nor made much sense to me when it was Poke-Kyushu. At least if it was Hawaii, then not being able to travel to an older region makes better sense. I'm afraid that is hardly going to change with ORAS.

Bringing the whole thing overseas was what made me look past that for Unova and Kalos, and I hope GF will continue that trend for Gen 7+.

Last edited:
The only thing that i didn't liked in Gen V was the story, i found it to be extremely bland, boring and uninteresting, i pretty much hate every single character in BW and the one i hate the most is: Ghetsis.

Ghetsis is so bland, generic, poorly written and one dimensional that it still baffles me to this day why some people say he is a good villain, while every other villain had some rather ridiculous motivations to do what they were trying to do, Ghetsis has no motivation to do what he's trying to do or he never explains it. I haven't played White in a while and i tried to find some quotes but he never seem to say why he wants to conquer Unova, is he doing it out of revenge? Did he woke up one day and said to himself "I'm going to be evil from now on and come up with this convoluted plan that involves a kid found in a forest and form a team of PETA hypocrites to try to conquer Unova for no reason"?, this is one of my personal pet peeves, when the villain doesn't tell you why he wants to do what's he trying to do, i know it's a cliché the villain explaining his plan and telling why he wants to do, but i always like clarification. And it's because of him that the story completely collapses at the end, i thought i was going to have choice at the end or something different, but Ghetsis's "I want to conquer the world because i'm evil" (which is the most generic plan in fiction) pratically ruined the story for me.

Ghetsis just feels like an afterthought, it's like GF finished writing the story and noticed that they didn't had a proper villain, so they made a guy in a robe, with a burned arm and a Saiyan Scouter. And the thing that breaks my heart is that Hydreigon, a pokemon that i love, is going to be forever associated with this crap character.

I'll take Gen 3 and 4 story over 5 any day.

Last edited:

Thank you for clarifying, Rhyme. I do agree with you. Every game should have a good postgame that isn't some sort of competitive battling, because not everyone is into that. All kinds of playstyles deserve equal focus, and I just feel that GF has been giving more attention to the competitive side in recent years.

Well, while Gen. 6 completely did away with all non-battling thingies, in Gen. 3 and Gen. 4 we had Contests. In Gen. 2 remakes we had the Pokéathlon and in Gen. 5 we had Poké-musicals and Poké-movies. And the Kalos-centric anime is now introducing Poké Puff competitions, PokéVision (which are basically those trainer videos for the PSS), and TriPokalons. I'm sure if any of these activities were included in the post-game, many people would be thrilled. In an ideal region, they all would be included along with a battle frontier, a battle tower, trainer hill/tower and fishing competitions, as well as Johto's bug catching competitions.

But sadly, no post-game will ever be that complete.

Gen 4 d/p/p meh but hg/ss good. Gen 5 felt like gen 1 which is cute for game just started but for game that's been around that long it shouldn't feel forcefully like the beging again and not in comfortable but in the akward way. I haven't played gen 6 yet to form opinion on it. Also gen 5 really let ball slip on pokémon designs trubbish makes a good pun though. Vinlish line gives me creeps why does my processed food have a face it was like feeling I had with jynx because of her pokedex entry in anime. I just don't like in uncomfortable way.

In my opinion, gen 5 was the best gameplay wise. The Pokemon were awesome, too. I'll probably get called out for this, but Vanilluxe and it's evolutions are so cute.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom