• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do people hate on different Generations?

Once again, I felt Gen II legendaries to feel more god-like than Gen III ones(who seemed more like the ancient, strong, mystical ones).

Also, what is so bad about side quests? They help to make the game longer for one, especially making them in areas that you probably wouldn't venture to otherwise, gives the whole map more reason. I do have to say that it would be nice for the side areas and the like to be given more use(especially all those extra islands lying about).

Lastly, you honestly think shorter routes makes it better? Imo, a mix is much better, the longer routes giving the 'adventure' feeling a lot more depth...every town being 3 steps apart would be really boring and it'd be pointless to even have routes inbetween them at all...would honestly be better off with like a little walkway inbetween them that you couldn't stray off from. They might as well make the game just one big city.

So, let me get this straight. A Pokemon that can erupt volcanoes is more godlike then a Pokemon that can not only erupt volcanoes but raise the land and separate continents. A Pokemon that can clean dirty water is more powerful then a Pokemon that can cause torrential rains, tsunamis and widened the seas. A 40-day storm is more impressive then covering the entire world in water. Creating rainbows is more impressive then being able to negate the weather. Time travel is more powerful then wish making even though you could just wish to be at another point in time. And apparently, resurrection is a god like power even though ghosts exist in this universe and so bringing back Pokemon from the dead shouldn't be much of a chore (and now I just realised why Morty uses Ghost types).

Side quest are fine and dandy, so long as there are only a few of them and they are, you know, good. They have a point to them and they aren't meaningless busy work. And you know, instead of having a bunch of side quest there could be, I don't know, a longer story. I think that would be a better way to increase the amount of playing time.

Long routes are annoying and doesn't really do anything. Sure, they can make it feel more like an adventure but when you can turn back at any time then it destroys any sense of journey. All it does is make it harder to go back to get to a Pokemon center later. Sure, you can always try doing the entire route without going back but heck, you can try playing the entire game without going to a Pokemon center and get a similar challenge. I'm not saying three step routes (that would just be stupid) I'm just saying a short and sweet route. Like, remember Route 1 of the first games. Not really long right? But it was memorable because it had this sense of adventure, it felt like a real beginning of something. When I went through 119 it just felt like filler. Honestly, if it was half as long it would have been fine but this didn't feel worth it. Also, most of my problem is with the long land roads as they always have some obstacle to slow me down like tall grass that slows you down for no good reason or some sort of bike puzzle. That waters are fine since the only real obstacles are trainers and wild Pokemon.

No need to be hating on any of the generations, just be thankful for the ones we have and the ones that are still to come.

I dislike Generation 3, but more precisely RSE, FRLG were brilliant in my opinion. RSE, I have a lot of great memories playing with friends, and it did introduce a lot of great Pokemon such as Salamence and Milotic. But then for me, Gen 3 was where the anime died, Misty was such a cool character replaced with May who looked to me just to be a stereotypical teenage girl and nothing more, she annoyed me too, I wanted bad things to happen to her.

In Generation 3's defence, Gold and Silver are my favourite games ever and so RSE had a hard job coming after them. The Generation cut off annoys me to this day. Unlike others my Red still works and I'd love to migrate those on there (the first Pokemon Game I EVER played) to my current Black game.

Also Generation 3 did away with Pokemon Stadium games and brought in the tedious Colloseum, Gale of Darkness, and worst of all Pokemon Channel. I think Gen 3 is also to blame for those Mystery Dungeon Games which thankfully seem to have stopped now.

Also despite saying above it introduced some good Pokemon, the majority I found bad, I did not like any of the Starters, and Gen 3 started this horrible trend of Fire starters becoming part Fighting type. Although maybe that's a negative for Gen 4 and 5 for copying rather than Gen 3 for starting.

I found the story of RSE to be rather boring, I didn't find Magma and Aqua believable, especially Aqua. Never understood how an erupting volcano would cause more sea.

But then for me, Gen 3 was where the anime died, Misty was such a cool character replaced with May who looked to me just to be a stereotypical teenage girl and nothing more, she annoyed me too, I wanted bad things to happen to her.

Misty became stale in Johto which is why she was removed. As for May she was one of the shows most popular characters, I feel sorry for you if you didn't enjoy her character. And "wanted bad things to happen to her?" I think its time to grow up. In terms of character development, storyline and battles, May was handled better than Misty on all fronts, and is the main reason Misty stayed gone permanently instead of ever being brought back in any of the following arcs.

Also Generation 3 did away with Pokemon Stadium games and brought in the tedious Colloseum, Gale of Darkness, and worst of all Pokemon Channel. I think Gen 3 is also to blame for those Mystery Dungeon Games which thankfully seem to have stopped now.

What do side-games have anything to do with the core generation? Likewise most people prefer Colosseum/XD over Stadium/

Also despite saying above it introduced some good Pokemon, the majority I found bad, I did not like any of the Starters, and Gen 3 started this horrible trend of Fire starters becoming part Fighting type. Although maybe that's a negative for Gen 4 and 5 for copying rather than Gen 3 for starting.

I thought the Hoenn starters were really well designed. Blaziken has always been a fan favorite and the Treecko line was amazing. Mudkip too.

Misty became stale in Johto which is why she was removed. As for May she was one of the shows most popular characters, I feel sorry for you if you didn't enjoy her character. And "wanted bad things to happen to her?" I think its time to grow up.
Well I was 10 at the time, so I think you can understand that.

I don't like gen 5 because it seems kind of like nothing really big happens and it was a bit confusing for me.

Once again, I felt Gen II legendaries to feel more god-like than Gen III ones(who seemed more like the ancient, strong, mystical ones).

Also, what is so bad about side quests? They help to make the game longer for one, especially making them in areas that you probably wouldn't venture to otherwise, gives the whole map more reason. I do have to say that it would be nice for the side areas and the like to be given more use(especially all those extra islands lying about).

Lastly, you honestly think shorter routes makes it better? Imo, a mix is much better, the longer routes giving the 'adventure' feeling a lot more depth...every town being 3 steps apart would be really boring and it'd be pointless to even have routes inbetween them at all...would honestly be better off with like a little walkway inbetween them that you couldn't stray off from. They might as well make the game just one big city.

So, let me get this straight. A Pokemon that can erupt volcanoes is more godlike then a Pokemon that can not only erupt volcanoes but raise the land and separate continents. A Pokemon that can clean dirty water is more powerful then a Pokemon that can cause torrential rains, tsunamis and widened the seas. A 40-day storm is more impressive then covering the entire world in water. Creating rainbows is more impressive then being able to negate the weather. Time travel is more powerful then wish making even though you could just wish to be at another point in time. And apparently, resurrection is a god like power even though ghosts exist in this universe and so bringing back Pokemon from the dead shouldn't be much of a chore (and now I just realised why Morty uses Ghost types).

You forgot that Lugia can also conjure up storms? Btw, with some of your points, you only proved that a lot of the 2nd gen legends are equally 'god-like', except that there is a bigger variety of powers between them. Just because adding onto the sea, etc. might be a little more over-the-top than resurrection/making volcanoes erupt/ and the like does not make the latter powers any less god-like.

I'm not here to argue about what does(n't) make a god-like Pokemon, moreso giving opinions about the generations and trying to understand why some others feel whatever way about whatever region.

Gen I: There are three legendary birds that are so powerful that even just catching them can have cataclysmic effects. Then you have a Pokémon who can kill you and destroy your base just by using minimal psychic power.

Gen II: There are the three legendary beasts, one of whom has the power to cause volcanoes to erupt just by roaring, and another which can run so fast that it creates mirages of itself, as well as being able to walk on water. There are also two birds, one of which can revive the dead, and the other of which can create storms just by flapping its wings.

Gen III: We have another trio, one of which can not only cause volcanoes to erupt but can also shape continents, as well as a water beast that can create oceans. Then there's their master, who can negate the effects of weather, and who can stop the two from quarreling. There's also a Pokémon that can grant wishes, and a Pokémon who comes from a meteor and that can change forms to have the largest of any specific stat.

Gen IV: We now have the rulers of time, space, and antimatter, as well as Pokémon that can give nightmares (and another one that can get rid of nightmares), one that can move continents, and one that created the universe and the rulers of time, space, and antimatter.

Gen V: We have dragons who can't do anything special, but that helped found a nation. Add to that the Pokémon that brings good luck and a bunch of musketeers.

Get my drift?

I love all the Generations, because they all have something fresh and new to bring to the table. I try to look at the good sides of every generation while acknowledging its flaws and hoping they'll fix them next time. If they don't, I can live with it, because I'm a huge fan of Pokémon regardless and if I don't like something in one game I can go play another Pokémon game that's either vastly different or it doesn't have that feature I don't like.
And despite popular opinion, by the looks of things Generation 4 gets more hate than Generation 3, but that could just be mistaken observing.

Personally, I LOVE the 2nd and 4th generation, why do people hate on the 4th one for? They have awesome evolutions with pretty cool pokemon and a very great storyline! :)

However, I don't like the 5th generation AT ALL! I mean, before generation 5, the 3rd generation was always my least fav, but the only reason that I didn't totally hate it was for Aggron and Rayquaza. Those pokemon are awesome! But no generation 5, I can't say how bad it is. I mean, sure they have improved graphics and all, but to me, that whole entire game was SO boring. I don't even play it anymore. The only time I do is when I battle my friends and random people on wi-fi. My fav game is Pokemon Heart Gold, and I was very upset at how nobody does wi-fi battles on heart gold anymore. So basically I was forced to migrate all of my pokemon to my Pokemon White. Although, Pokemon White isn't COMPLETELY bad :/ I mean, I love how u can battle random people around the world, and I also liked Rufflet and Braviary, the ONLY pokemon in the 5th generation that I actrully like. Over all, to me, the 5th generation was the worst :(

Last edited:
Cyber, do you really scour the forums just to find the moment someone badmouths May? Because me thinks you wouldn't have answered this topic otherwise. Not like you really answered anyway but...

I thought the Hoenn starters were really well designed. Blaziken has always been a fan favorite and the Treecko line was amazing. Mudkip too.

The key phrase there is "I thought". Whether you like a Pokemon or not is very subjective and up to your personal tastes. I doubt he cares whether you liked them or if Blaziken is a fan favorite.

As for the topic...

I think it's a mixed bag really. Every Gen has it's ups and downs, and is generally up to the individual. However, after saying that..

Disclaimer: Everything I'm about to say is my own personal opinion.

I don't like Gen V at the moment from an artwork standpoint. Most of the new Pokemon I can't stand the designs of and this is the first generation where I found that the bad outweighed the good. I thought that Gen II was mediocre looking, but in the end there was more good than bad. There are some really great looking Pokemon in Gen V like Zoroark, Krookodile, and Haxorus, but not enough decent ones to balance it out for me. Especially the starters, they were such a letdown. I hate Oshawott with a burning fiery passion.

The graphics have the problem of them going overboard with the 3D while keeping the 2D sprites or artwork. It just looks so out of whack at times, like bizzaro world or something. I thought they did a nice job of mixing the two in Gen 4 so that the 3D added something to games as opposed to messing them up. Now it just looks kinda weird.

All generations are good, although the older ones aged poorly over the years. I guess people prefer certain generations over others because of the strong sense of nostalgia. That's why so many people say Gen I or II is the best generation and everything else is the equivalent of horse manure baking in the sun.

Gen V: We have dragons who can't do anything special, but that helped found a nation. Add to that the Pokémon that brings good luck and a bunch of musketeers.

You forgot to mention that Reshiram and Zekrom are the masters of truths and ideals, respectively, and that the Musketeer trio are three warrior-like Pokemon who fought a war against humans to save Pokemon. And that the Kami trio has members who can control earth, wind, and thunder. And that Meloetta can change forms to do song and dance. And that Genesect is an ancient bug Pokemon that was upgraded by Team Plasma to be very powerful thanks to the cannon on its back. :3

To get on topic, though, I don't really hate any gen, but I disliked gen 3. I didn't like most of the Pokemon, the Hoenn region bored me, there are too many water routes (it especially annoys me that you can only catch god damn Tentacool and Tentacruel on them), I didn't like the player character designs much, etc. I did like FireRed and LeafGreen, but not RSE.

I loved gen 4 and 5, though. Never got to play RBY or GSC.

The worst thing about Gen 3, Brendan's hair/hat. I got that game when it came out, and I initially found it odd that the player character had grey hair, but then I remembered Trunks from Dragon Ball Z and thought Grey haired teens must be a Japanese thing. Turns out, (and I only found this out in the past month or so) it was a hat???

When I say I dislike Gen 3, it's more directed at RSE, I love FRLG, but RSE sucked in my opinion. At the moment, I'm withholding my verdict on Gen 5, Black and White had a lot of potential, potential they didn't utilise. Gen 5 could go one of 2 ways, either they fully harness this potential in Grey and they pull something out of the bag to make RSE remakes quite good as well. Or they again fail to harness the potential in BW, and RSE remakes just drag the whole thing down even further.

I do indeed love every generation, even 5 thus far.

Though I can definitely understand the weak points of every one, I see the fun things about them too.

Gen I being so broken (Psychics! Wrap!). But the simplicity felt fresh and light.

Gen II's over-reliance on Gen I, and how some of it was cut for time. But it really rounded out all of the weaknesses of Gen I; so much more balanced and full of features.

Gen III's inability to connect Gen II and I as well as an overabundance of water in Hoenn (only because there is not a large variety of water Pokémon in the routes like there should--They were fun to travel in) and the need to use Colosseum and XD to get the missing Pokémon. But the environments were brilliantly designed, and so many fun multiplayer features and side things were in it.

Gen IV's extreme overuse of legendaries; but it was so accessible and easy to manage because of the wireless features, and the rivals became much more personal, close, and friendly.

Gen V's lack of side missions to do (Musicals are a little too basic compared to Contests, don't you think); but it really freshens your approach on the modern game, because there are so many conveniences added like the new TM system and HMs being unneeded, for the most part--And the story was very engaging!

I really prefer to look on the positive side of things, because everything really worked in my eyes!

IV and II just happen to be my favorites, but I still love all the other games, and I honestly don't know why any of them would get outright hate.

I don't hate on any generation. They all have their good and bad points.

Though mainly, gen 3 is considered to be the worst because the last third of the game took place on the ocean where you would encounter wingull after wingull and then some more wingulls.

Some people didn't like gen 5 because they couldn't use the same pokemon they've used every game.

Oh and then there are the people who don't believe there are more than 151 pokemon. They're like the people who believe the trip to the moon was really on a movie set.

Basically, people will always find a reason to complain.

Really the simply answer is because everyone's different. Its not something that happens with just pokemon it happens with any series. Whether they be games, books, movies, etc.

I can't really explain why people hate on Gen's 1, 2, 4, or 5, but Gen 3's hated on because its the Contested Sequel of the group. Wasn't that way at the start, but that's how it stands now.

Gen 5: Pretty much everything about it (story, features, etc.)

Weird. A lot of people love Gen 5 yet others hate everything about it. I mean, sure it's not perfect but I don't think it's god awful as some would say. I like the story even if it wasn't too fleshed out and a lot of Pokemon grew on me. Just wait until Gray comes out. The third version is usually the improved one.

And why is it that I feel like I'm the only one who like Gen 4?
No, Gen Iv is my favorite region, (Peral was my first game ;P) but V is also a close second. I think older players just don't want to leave their comfort zone of Gen I and II. they'll probably come out of their shell eventually. c:

I detest it when people state their opinions on why they hate it and all, and then start and argument over the thing over somebody who's against it. It's just like any other thing really. Somebody loves the color blue, others hate it.

Although, as for my opinion, I like Hoenn and Unova personally. Sinnoh and Johto were the worst in my opinion...both were boring, and had boring pokemon/plot. Kanto was alright, can't say much about it.

I love Gen's from Kanto to Advanced. I also like III gen IV gen. Only reason I don't like V gen is cause Ash is dumber then dumbest person on the dumbest planet. Serioulsy...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom