• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do people hate on different Generations?

I find the first two Gens to be the best, and I find the latest two to be the weakest. BUT I ENJOY BOTH nonetheless.

in the list below, I don't count the remakes, I only talk about the main games.

Gen IV is the weakest one in my opinion. I just never got into DPPt, and I think they have bad pokemon designs, and is where they really began to over-complicate the designs, which I don't like. I prefer the more simple designs.

Gen V is my second weakest one imo because I don't like N that much, and I cannot stand Bianca one bit. I also didn't care for how the rival battles were handled. It seemed that after each and every gym leader battle, once you left, it would be another rival fight. I preferred the more random ones in the previous Gens. I also didn't care for the pokemon designs. Luckily, the plot in BW were cool, so it isn't my weakest gen.

I also preferred the older gens because of the Evil Team, Team Rocket, seemed to have the most realistic goal out of any of the others. They wanted to get rich and steal, not do ridiculously over-the-top things like expand the land, expand the sea, control time and space, etc. Having said that, I thought Gen III (Especially Emerald version did the evil teams' right despite having the ridiculously over-the-top goals)

It is all personal preference in the end. If you started late, like if Gen IV was your first gen, you are more than likely going to love the more complicated designs a lot more than the more simple designs of the pokemon of the early days. If you started early, like me, with for example, Gen I or II, you are more likely going to love the simple designs a lot more than the complicated ones of today.

Well, every generation did have its pros and cons. It's hard to pick a least favorite because none are really horrible to me, the 3rd generation would probably be my least favorite, if it wasn't for how much I enjoyed Hoenn's geography, people will always hate things though, they have their reasons.

I personally like all generations for the most part, but there are some things I did and didn't like in each one.

I think it's a little dramatic to say you would hate an entire generation including all of the Pokemon, features, game play, etcetera. However if someone wants to say that it's their own personal taste at the end of the day.

Tbh i have no idea /: i like all generations and all their pokemon
to be literal....
i aint hatin <3

As someone who got into Pokemon with the first generation, I think a lot of the hate coming from people my age has to do with nostalgia. They look back on the first two generations fondly because they were little when those were around, but don't have any particular love for the later ones because by that point, most of them had moved on from Pokemon. And they say it's because they suck when, really, they didn't have much experience with it to know better, and it was really more that they weren't in the target demographic anymore. I thought that, too, when I first saw the new Pokemon for the third and following generations, but when I started playing the later games they were still a ton of fun. Yes, even the hated Generation 3. I love the Hoenn geography and the Pokemon contests that they introduced.

And nostalgia tends to make you blind, a little. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the first two generations, but the first-generation games are actually kind of boring. Especially if you know all the cheats (as I do both because, well, I hang out on a Pokemon forum :p and also they were a hot topic at my elementary school at recess, along with every stupid "get Mew" rumor in the book) the game is so easy that there is almost no point to it.

Sadly, a lot of times the hate is completely based on nostalgia. The internet in general expresses a lot of this kind of hate.

But then, not always. Preferring certain generations over others is perfectly reasonable. In these cases, I think, since each generation has different strengths and weakness, people who are looking for a certain feature tend to prefer games that are strong in that specific aspect, and people who especially despise a certain flaw tend to despise games in which that flaw is more apparent or worse.

But I still don't think this justifies hating an entire generation, or worse, hating entire groups of them and refusing to recognize them as part of the series. Each game and each generation, I believe, contributed to the series and its continued survival. I personally don't hate any generation, but I do have favorites.

I think part of the joy about a franchise as massive as Pokemon is that while it is varied enough to the point where you can have your favorites, it's still all tied together under the true Pokmon formula that just makes this series to be known as Pokemon. Each generation does have its pros and cons that it has while the others don't, but because this is all Pokemon we're talking about, the idea of completely hating on an entire generation for one reason or another just baffles me.

People hate on different Pokémon generations for many reasons. Some for designs, some for gameplay, and others... Just like some prefer old things over new ones.

Personally, I didn't hate any. I enjoyed every Pokémon generations so far.

Well, hate toward new installments in popular and long running gaming franchises is actually quite common. As an example, I will use another Nintendo popular franchise: The Legend of Zelda. Both The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword received and still receive a lot of hate by the fandom, yet they are pretty good games in their own ways. In fact, I am going further and say that Skyward Sword is one of the three best Zelda games ever made, it tried to be different and succeeded. Pokémon, which is the third (or the second?) most popular Nintendo franchise wouldn't be free of hate.

People always expect too much from new games and almost always these expectations are something that certainly isn't going to happen, because it either doesn't make sense by a marketing/selling point of view or it is too ridiculous to even consider. There is also the nostalgia factor. In Zelda, people will always compare new games to Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past (to some extent), saying that they are the best games and no new installment will ever top it. In Pokémon we have both Red & Blue and Gold, Silver & Crystal, considered by some as "pillar" games of the franchise, any Pokémon game in the franchise that isn't of these will get hate by the excessively nostalgic part of the fandom, especially if it tries to be something different and unique (e.g RSE and BW/B2W2).

The best thing one can do is ignore the hate and enjoy their games. What difference it does if some overly nostalgic people can't look past their good childhood times and judge a game by its quality and not by when it was released? The opposite is valid too, if one hates something just because it is old and not as advanced as new games, why care? As I said, just ignore and move on.

Sadly, a lot of times the hate is completely based on nostalgia. The internet in general expresses a lot of this kind of hate.

I have to totally agree with this, I feel a lot of hate towards certain gens is generally due to fans own nostalgic memories of the ones they first discovered, with none of the following others measuring up to it.

For me personally I've enjoyed every single generation (with 2 being my favourite) but I obviously prefer some other others, that's only natural.

I honestly cannot explain why it is this is prevalent other than sharply differing opinions on the matter. Age seems to have little to do with it since people can experience the older gens even if they were too young to have done so at that point, or weren't even born yet. The only thing I will attribute age to is how people deal with the matter, which there is indeed no need for there to be all out wars over which gen is better. One has to remember that the vast majority of the fandom has not developed emotionally enough. For those that are still adamant as an adult, then I have nothing to say about that. I personally liked all the gens, but I have come to recognize just how much I've taken the more recent improvements for granted. It now irritates me to not have the move diversity seen since the fourth gen, but other than that, it's still the same game. As for the pokemon themselves, I also find that to largely be a matter of opinion, and I have seen a lot of logic errors associated with this. It's true there are gens where I like more pokes than in other gens, but that doesn't mean that I hate the entire set of pokemon in that gen for it, nor the gen itself for it. (there are other errors I've noticed, this is just one of them) It's better to just not get involved with the people who do this because they're just seeking to get a rile out of people.

It's all because of nostalgia. New Pokémon are alien at first. I'll admit, I wasn't too fond of the Gen 6 starters at first, but after giving it time, I grew to like them. I used to dislike Gen 5, but I gave it time, played White 2, and now it's my favorite generation of all time. Many of them love the old Pokémon because they first saw them through a child's eye. If you really think about it, the first gen of Pokémon isn't all that incredible. It's not better than the other gens and it's not worse (Expect for BW2. That game, in my opinion, puts all the others in the ground). In fact, most of the first gen Pokémon are incredibly simplistic with clever (but somewhat uncreative) names. But since they saw it through their eyes as children when one is more inclined to accept things right from the get go, they think it's better. Plus they probably miss the youth they used to have, who doesn't?

Last edited:
Nostalgia causes people to hate on things for the most asinine reasons possible.

Looking back at it, I loved Gen I when it came out because it was such a hot topic but now, I just see it as the progenitor of the series. A rather glitchy progenitor but a progenitor nonetheless.

I also preferred the older gens because of the Evil Team, Team Rocket, seemed to have the most realistic goal out of any of the others. They wanted to get rich and steal, not do ridiculously over-the-top things like expand the land, expand the sea, control time and space, etc. Having said that, I thought Gen III (Especially Emerald version did the evil teams' right despite having the ridiculously over-the-top goals)

Oh my god. This. This x90000

After Team Plasma and Team Galactic (ESPECIALLY Team Galactic) I missed the douchedicks at team Rocket soooooo much.

Gen IV just doesn't do it for me. Too many new evos for old Pokemon and the nightmare of level grinding rivals Gen II...Gen V's upgraded level-up system spoiled me.

After Team Plasma and Team Galactic (ESPECIALLY Team Galactic) I missed the douchedicks at team Rocket soooooo much.

Gen IV just doesn't do it for me. Too many new evos for old Pokemon
Haha. What. People keep asking for evolutions and when GF finally makes evolutions, people complain. Really, it always entertain me to see this kind of complaint. Also, in my opinion, Team Rocket was boring exactly because it was the most "realistic". Games aren't supposed to be close to reality, games are about surreality. Reality is boring. Team Galactic was the best developed evil team in the series as of Generation IV, hating them is like hating character development.

PS: Generation IV is awesome.

What if the Pokémon fandom was more like the part of the Star Wars "fandom" that complains about every remake and/or change in the franchise?

People mostly dislike 5th gen these days. I mean yeah the Pokemon but I thought it was a good generation overall. :[

Probably because some people are close minded and hate change. I used to hate gen 5, actually, I don't anymore but I used to. But it was also partly because I "went with the crowd" because I was stupid and other people's opinions really influenced mine at that time lol. "An ice cream that evolves into a bigger ice cream that evolves into a double scooped ice cream? Really?" "What the fuck what kind of name is 'ducklett', sounds dumb and unoriginal." Yeah that kind of stuff... Some people don't like change, they want everything to stay exactly the same as when they were kids like do you see those people who are all "the 90's were the best" and stuff about 90's kids? They just miss their childhood because nostalgia, like what some people said before me. But don't people see that not all changes are bad? I mean if everything was exactly the same then people would get bored and complain that nothing ever changes. They will always find something to complain about, no matter what. I mean yeah you can prefer some generations over others but hating them just because they're "different" is just no. Each generation has its good and bad, none of them are perfect and flawless. Hate sorta blinds you from seeing the good stuff and anchors you so you can never get on with your life and you'll never be happy. I feel sorry for those people who hate change because life is all about change so they'll forever be unhappy. I moved on and accepted the change and let go of my hate and I feel fucking great and ridiculously happy, I hope other people come to their senses and do the same.

P.S. I'm really really really really really really really really really really really really really sorry for swearing but I thought it was necessary for emphasis I mean I know swearing is not against the rules but I still feel the need to apologize

In my country, there's a saying "Whoever's out of the dance knows a ton of songs." AKA, in theory, everyone can hate/love whatever he wants. I was somehow like that back when Gen 5 started. I hated the new region, Pokemon, and their names... (Stoutland? Escavalier? Carracosta? They were all LOL THESE ARE POKE NAMEZ? for me in the beginning). Yet, as soon as I played Black, I started liking the new region and it's plot. I eventually even got used to the names.
That is, I think that people hate Generations because they: 1) have a favourite which they consider top, and everything else's "not Gen X" or 2) hate any sort of change, being it characters, regions, Pokemon, or connectivity. Still, what's important is that most beliefs are just in theory. TRY IT before judging, please!

Gen IV just doesn't do it for me. Too many new evos for old Pokemon
Haha. What. People keep asking for evolutions and when GF finally makes evolutions, people complain. Really, it always entertain me to see this kind of complaint. Also, in my opinion, Team Rocket was boring exactly because it was the most "realistic". Games aren't supposed to be close to reality, games are about surreality. Reality is boring. Team Galactic was the best developed evil team in the series as of Generation IV, hating them is like hating character development.

PS: Generation IV is awesome.

Gen IV statistically had the most evos of previous generations...I think my main problem with that is entirely personal because there was only one Pokemon I liked with a new evolution (Piloswine) and I think they really messed up on the evos of Magmar, Rhydon,and Electabuzz. I actually don't care much for new evos anyway. Not to mention I felt like every other new Pokemon was an evolution of older ones...the actual number comes fairly close to 1 in 3. Not that Gen IV has nothing to offer; it was the first step in massively revolutionizing trading, graphics, and gameplay for the DS generation. It is absolutely essential to Pokemon.

And it's not only the outlandish plots of the new villains...the actual characters are pretty ridiculous. Giovanni was one complicated dude; the only one who comes close is N, and for me his status as a true villain is debatable.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom