• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

Actuallt, I like a lot of the gen III pokémon, Flygon, Zangoose, Gardevoir and many more. But what GameFreak was smoking when they designed Luvdisc, I cannot say.

Yeah Sugimori must've been smoking some crack when he made some of the gen III and gen IV Pokemon. .. Not that I hold anything against the guy, some of his art work is awesome.

PS I have a few great examples that it looks like people at GameFreak were having magic shrooms, if you've ever played Pulseman..
wait have i posted something like this before?..Oh who cares

PPS When I say that Sugimori and GF having crack and shrooms, I don't literally mean it. It's just a way of saying/figure of speech.. "WTF were they thinking" ...etc etc.

Last edited:
Yeah Sugimori must've been smoking some crack when he made some of the gen III and gen IV Pokemon. .. Not that I hold anything against the guy, some of his art work is awesome.

As far as I know, Sugimori doesn't design all the Pokémon (it's done by an entire team dedicate dto that. He's part of the team, but not the only one). He only draws them.

My opinion of the 3rd generation is mixed. As the author of this thread mentioned, pokemon abilities and contests were positive additions to the series. It introduced some pokemon that I like (especially torkoal) and I personally like its starters better than those of generation 4.

My main complaint about gen 3 is that Hoenn just didn't seem very interesting to explore. Another thing I remember disliking is that several of the pokemon were just copies of ones that already existed (beautifly = butterfree, seviper = arbok, etc).

My opinion of the 3rd generation is mixed. As the author of this thread mentioned, pokemon abilities and contests were positive additions to the series. It introduced some pokemon that I like (especially torkoal) and I personally like its starters better than those of generation 4.

My main complaint about gen 3 is that Hoenn just didn't seem very interesting to explore. Another thing I remember disliking is that several of the pokemon were just copies of ones that already existed (beautifly = butterfree, seviper = arbok, etc).

i agree fully with this, not enough exploration and differance in pokemon, although some were pretty cool, breloom being one of my favs, and the introduction to natures really helped competitive battling take another step to the future!

As far as I know, Sugimori doesn't design all the Pokémon (it's done by an entire team dedicate dto that. He's part of the team, but not the only one). He only draws them.

Oh ok well he did design the first 251 pokemon by him self, and on Wikipedia it said he had HELP with RSE designs and I though that meant people helped him come up with idea's..

I agree with this, no matter how elusive any legendary is in the main game, they never will be as elusive for me than any event pokémon, of which I have NO legitimate access to. That's what I find elitist on GF's part. They only have a few events in the US, the UK, Japan and dispersed a bit around other countries (except where I live, of course), and at least with the addition of Wi-Fi, everyone has a chance now.

I think Australia/NZ gets the least events..

As for the Game Freak.inc is "considered" elitist part.. I think its Masuda who makes the IN game EVENTS harder.And Sugimori shouldn't be THAT responsible c'mon an ART DIRECTOR yeah art not the story line guy.

Tajiri-sama... well has really nothing to do with the new games, so I'd like to leave him out of this one..

Oh, they may get the least events, but Québec gets NONE. Literally, as far as I know. Perhaps someone can correct me, but I've searched and never found any record of it happening or ever happening. I'm sure we're not the only ones either.

Oh ok well he did design the first 251 pokemon by him self, and on Wikipedia it said he had HELP with RSE designs and I though that meant people helped him come up with idea's..

You said it: only the fisrt 251. After all, he's now part of a team, and since we're talking about post-Celebi Pokémon... He helps (I said it too, so you don't have to say it as if I didn't know), yah, but now they're not anymore all his designs. And I'd really like Tajiri-san back in the franchise. I'd like to see what ideas he'd come up with for future games.

@Staulmaster: So Quebec doesn't get events? At least there must been some events, if not in that particular province (is that the right term?), in Canada. the last Nintendo event in Mexico (and I'm talking about the whole country, not Mexico City) was in 2000, when they gave away Mew. Think about it.

Like I said, I can't be sure if there's never been any event ever in this province (and yes, it was the right term, lol), but I have never been informed of it, and I did some research on google and found nothing. So I'm pretty sure there never has been, and if there has, I can assure it hasn't been in the district (or even city) that I live in. There must've been some in other provinces, but Québec seems to have been neglected.

Northern Ireland has just got its first one, and that was just that shitty little Shaymin event. Quebec may not have gotten any but you can at least go to other provinces without paying around £200

Uh...yeah, but I don't really have the time or ressources to drive up somewhere that far, let alone for a simple mass of pixels.

You said it: only the fisrt 251. After all, he's now part of a team, and since we're talking about post-Celebi Pokémon... He helps (I said it too, so you don't have to say it as if I didn't know), yah, but now they're not anymore all his designs. And I'd really like Tajiri-san back in the franchise. I'd like to see what ideas he'd come up with for future games.

@Staulmaster: So Quebec doesn't get events? At least there must been some events, if not in that particular province (is that the right term?), in Canada. the last Nintendo event in Mexico (and I'm talking about the whole country, not Mexico City) was in 2000, when they gave away Mew. Think about it.

I agree, I'd really love to see what ideas Tajiri-san will come up with now it's been about 8-9 years since he probably last came up with any idea's(well he's probably come up with heaps by now but maybe Junichi will probably not let him say his opinion.Maybe just because he's executive producer Junichi probably thinks "Oh EP all he needs to do is approve yeah lets exclude him for idea's for the new games".Actually if anyone would let him say anything it would probably be Sugimori-san(I presume so anyway,since Ken & Satoshi have known each other since they were like 13 years old), if Tajiri doesn't say anything.)(BTW I'm not saying that Tajiri-san probably doesn't say anything, it just seems that way.) As you can tell I always choose Satoshi over Junichi ANY day.

@ Events, speaking of events I don't think we got any events over here in Aus when Pokemon R/S/E/FR/LG was out, even if we did get events I'm pretty sure there wasn't any .
I think thats unfair how some places don't get events such as Quebec. Where abouts is Quebec anyway?
You know I wonder if Italy gets any?

I believe it is because there were several features that people liked that got taken out (Day/Night)

To the people that are having some confusion over Keg Sugimori's role in the monster design, Wikipedia is not a particularly informed source on the matter. (In fact Wikipedia itself acknowledges the article on Ken Sugimori has no sources and doesn't meet quality standards) instead look to something solid, like the Game Credits.

Staff of Pokémon Red and Green

Pokémon design:

Ken Sugimori
Atsuko Nishida
Motofumi Fujiwara
Shigeki Morimoto

Staff of Pokémon Gold and Silver

Pokémon design:

Ken Sugimori
Motofumi Fujiwara
Shigeki Morimoto
Atsuko Nishida
Hironobu Yoshida
Muneo Saitō
Satoshi Ōta
Rena Yoshikawa

Staff of Pokémon Emerald

Pokémon design:

Ken Sugimori
Motofumi Fujiwara
Shigeki Morimoto
Hironobu Yoshida
Satoshi Ōta
Asuka Iwashita
Takao Unno
Kanako Eo
Aimi Tomita
Atsuko Nishida
Muneo Saitō
Rena Yoshikawa
Jun Okutani

Staff of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl

Pokémon design & graphic design

Ken Sugimori
Takao Unno
Motofumi Fujiwara
Satoshi Ōta
Hironobu Yoshida
Kanako Eo
Kenkichi Toyama
Hiroki Fuchino
Hiroyuki Yagi
Emi Yoshida
Yūsuke Ōmura
Hiroyuki Gotō

Pokémon design

Nishida Atsuko

As can be seen from the credits it has always been a team including Sugimori that does the Pokémon designs, and Ken Sugimori did indeed help to design the Pokémon of Generation III and IV and is probably working on Gen V Pokémon this very moment. And as always the character artwork, both Pokémon and Human, is done by Ken Sugimori.

Actually Gen. III was my favorite... the Water Routes were a bit long but not so long that you were looking away from the screen...

Besides, it had good Pokémon and the introduction of the Battle Frontier didn't hurt!

@ Events, speaking of events I don't think we got any events over here in Aus when Pokemon R/S/E/FR/LG was out, even if we did get events I'm pretty sure there wasn't any .
I think thats unfair how some places don't get events such as Quebec. Where abouts is Quebec anyway?
You know I wonder if Italy gets any?

It's an eastern province in Canada (one of the biggest, actually) where it snows a whole lot and people speak French. But yeah, I like the idea of events in theory, but it's kind of hard tosatisfy everyone when they don't organize them everywhere. Ever since Gen I, I remember reading about getting Mew at an event, but was soon sadened when time passed and it never happened...:'( loool

Oh, they may get the least events, but Québec gets NONE. Literally, as far as I know. Perhaps someone can correct me, but I've searched and never found any record of it happening or ever happening. I'm sure we're not the only ones either.

I live in Toronto, and I've never been aware of any events happening here.
I'm sure that there must have been some, probably at EB Games, Toys'R'Us, etc, but I've never heard of them, and there definitely hasn't been much publicity about them.

Really the only way to get any Pokemon events is to live in Japan, or, to a lesser extent, a major American city.
If you live in Japan, you can practically get a new event exclusive Pokemon every week.
It just pisses me off why everything takes so damn long to leave Japan, and how so little of it actually reaches the rest of the world, no matter how much demand there is for it.

Does North America delay English made titles before they go to Japan? No.
Halo 3 didn't have a year delay before it went to Japan!
Bah!

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom