• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

Imo, I didn't hate Gen 3. But some things I didn't like about it were the new fishing rules and the water routes. Plus I thought Team Magma/Aqua could've of gotten more development after you've beaten the Elite 4 the first time.

Are you fucking serious? Then im guessing the 4th gen sucked so much because so many retards complaned about the 3rd? Wow, how fuckin gay. The 1st gen was the best btw

Im talking about random posts I've read in this thread

Imo, I didn't hate Gen 3. But some things I didn't like about it were the new fishing rules and the water routes. Plus I thought Team Magma/Aqua could've of gotten more development after you've beaten the Elite 4 the first time.

Though the "press A every 5 seconds and if you don't do it at the right moment the fish goes away" ended up being boring and irritating, at the begining it was a nice addition, and on the other side, being able to fish while in the water (on your Pokémon) expanded it a lot, so I loved it.

It introduced the worst Pokémon compared to the other three batches, had too much water, and didn't even have all the Pokémon until FireRed and LeafGreen came out. I liked generation 3, but just less than 1, 2 and 4.

Excuse me?

Give me Hoenns pokemon over Sinnohs anyday. The only pokemon I actually like in Sinnoh is Glaceon and perhaps Chatot.
Serious.

The only Hoenn pokemon I didn't like were the Regi's. Everyone else I either liked or didn't care.

R/S changed Pokemon rpg's perhaps more drastically than any generation. It brought Pokemon to the gameboy advance, revolutionized the box system, gave it new graphics and new things like Natures and Abilities. D/P/Pt would be nothing today without R/S/E

It wasn't my favourite generation by any means, but I certainly did not hate it. I adored Ruby on my first playthrough.

I don't understand why people hate Gen III. Without it, we would not have the same D/P/Pt today. We might still be sticking in the old Box system, with odd looking sprites for the johto/kantoeians because they would have to work with very old sprites.

If anything, we should be praising Ruby and Sapphire for how it changed pokemon for the better. Not putting it down.

Excuse me?

Give me Hoenns pokemon over Sinnohs anyday. The only pokemon I actually like in Sinnoh is Glaceon and perhaps Chatot.
Serious.

The only Hoenn pokemon I didn't like were the Regi's. Everyone else I either liked or didn't care.

R/S changed Pokemon rpg's perhaps more drastically than any generation. It brought Pokemon to the gameboy advance, revolutionized the box system, gave it new graphics and new things like Natures and Abilities. D/P/Pt would be nothing today without R/S/E

It wasn't my favourite generation by any means, but I certainly did not hate it. I adored Ruby on my first playthrough.

I don't understand why people hate Gen III. Without it, we would not have the same D/P/Pt today. We might still be sticking in the old Box system, with odd looking sprites for the johto/kantoeians because they would have to work with very old sprites.

If anything, we should be praising Ruby and Sapphire for how it changed pokemon for the better. Not putting it down.

Sorry, but I don't quite get what it is you're saying. Naturally, Gen III was on the GBA, which meant better hardware. There were better graphical capabilities, more space, easier tech to work with, etc. It's natural that many of the improvements that you listed, like the box system and newer sprites were because it was on the GBA. It wasn't the software that incurred those changes, but the hardware. Those changes you listed weren't new ideas, like apricorns or contests, but removing the flaws in old ideas because of less hardware constraints.

Okay, so maybe your right, but tthings like natures and abilities weren't becaus of the jump to GBA. We still have alot of featues to thank R/S for and thats what I was getting at.

Though the "press A every 5 seconds and if you don't do it at the right moment the fish goes away" ended up being boring and irritating, at the begining it was a nice addition, and on the other side, being able to fish while in the water (on your Pokémon) expanded it a lot, so I loved it.

I've just always found trying to get fishing only Pokemon equally irritating as trying to get Safari Zones Rares.

It introduced the worst Pokémon compared to the other three batches, had too much water, and didn't even have all the Pokémon until FireRed and LeafGreen came out. I liked generation 3, but just less than 1, 2 and 4.

I used to say that I hate Gen 3 Pokemon, but when I think about it, a lot of the Gen 3 Pokemon are still pretty cool now. It was the same thing with Gen 4.
Both introduced some really lame and stupid Pokemon, but both introduced some awesome Pokemon that the games can't do without for me now.
Though in the end, Gen 1 and 2 released the largest percentage of awesome Pokemon.

Tell me about it, when I try to fish for pokemon in emerald, I can hardly get any fish because I don't react quick enough for the A.. gosh that feature was so damn annoying. If I did get a fish pokemon on a rod, it'd be rare I did. Whats really annoying when I did get a fish pokemon on a rod though it was one I didn't want >_>

yes, the fishing sucked, i agree. But personally i hate the 4th gen more than anything. When i got saphire i wasnt really an in ddepth player and it really was the perfect game for a new wave of pokefans (or, in my case, pokemasters). I lost my saphire but emerald has to be the most in depth game until pllatinum. It was then i really got into pokemon. also, its afresh start. No kanto or jhoto pokemon means youre learning more as you go through the game and it introduced new concepts that were continued in the sinnoh. And who doesnt low the battle frontier I think people didnt have the best experience with r/s and thus didnt like emerald, but reall... emerald is the best game ever!... until platinum

I lost my saphire but emerald has to be the most in depth game until pllatinum.

At least you lost your sapphire and didn't get it stolen.. >_> my emerald got stolen today along with all my other games and my ds and gameboy T_T
When somethings stolen you don't know what people could do to your stuff.

At least you lost your sapphire and didn't get it stolen.. >_> my emerald got stolen today along with all my other games and my ds and gameboy T_T

How did it get stolen? burglar?

I had worse luck: My DS, Diamond and FireRed versions were stolen all together one year ago. Then my Ruby, Leafgreen and Game Boy Advance were destroyed when a bus hit me in November. Now I've got Emerald, but I have no console to play it.

I had worse luck: My DS, Diamond and FireRed versions were stolen all together one year ago. Then my Ruby, Leafgreen and Game Boy Advance were destroyed when a bus hit me in November. Now I've got Emerald, but I have no console to play it.

Damn! You need a hug real bad!

Lol I didn't mention what games though, I've gone through 3 pokemon blue cartridges, 3 gameboys and 2 DS's. My GBC,DS,Pokemon blue,emerald,diamond,platinum & ranger 2 all got stolen on the same day. Lol who ever stole it they left the game covers in the bag, why didn't they just take those as well? The only games I got left is gold version and firered with nothing to play them on..*_*
And hit by a bus!!?
:( Poor guy

More often than not, it's the "start from zero" bit. People were pissed off they couldn't get their precious Pokémon from GSC into this. Basically, they wanted another cakewalk of a game with the same old Pokémon every damn time. Having an all-new place with next to no links to all the old things was a no-go. I wanna see them deal better with a data issue as big as this one. I bet they'd rather not go through the hassle of making a pheriphery that'd allow the trade between Gen 2 and Gen 3 and make new games, which not only nets them way more money. It's ultimately better for the series as a whole.

Personally, I prefer the 3rd Generation even above the 4th. I don't know, I like it when the new Pokémon are, you know, actually new. 1st Gen did this for obvious reasons, and gladly, 3rd Gen also went this route, with only 2 Pokémon related to old ones. All the rest are 100% new, interesting and refresh the gameplay in a way GSC failed terribly to do. Training and getting to know new critters is where the true core of Pokémon lies at, and 3rd Gen did this really well thanks to the so-hated fresh start. In short, I'm glad it happened. I didn't want another damn Johto.

Hoenn was a much richer Region than Kanto and Johto, which felt samey. While this can be blamed on the system capabilities of the time, and even though Johto had amazing cities like Goldenrod and Ecruteak, as well as much more inspired locations than Kanto, Hoenn is the one Region that has an actual variety of environments all over it, and truly creative Cities and Towns. They're not all the same or generic, as they were in previous Generations, with a few exceptions. We've got a desert, a volcano, a vast sea, underwater areas, jungle, mountains, and a lot of lush and wonderful sceneries, which really stand out. Then we have Fortree, Sootopolis, Pacifidlog, Lavaridge, Fallarbor... even the more "generic" Towns and Cities have a charm of their own. Going through RSE was truly an experience thanks to the scenery alone.

The characters were all cool. I prefer the Johto Gym Leaders, but the Hoenn lot were also pretty cool, especially as far as looks are concerned. Also, RSE gave us a decent amount of supporting characters. Faces that stand out alonside the Gym Leaders and the Elite Four, which were few and counted in previous Generations. As for the evil Teams... the rivalry concept was really well done, at least in Emerald, where both stood as antagonists and their Leaders got differentiation. No matter how retarded or short-sighted their plans were, they had quite the spin on the tired Team Rocket stuff of the time, which was much-welcome. And personally, I like it when they stared to focus this one plot on the Legendary Pokémon. It's just a realistic take, whatever people say. Why should humans limit themselves to their own capabilities or methods, when they have an array of creatures to take advantage of in order to reach their objectives? Team Rocket did the same, but only Magma, Aqua, Cipher, Galactic, Go-Rock Squad and Dim Sun have actually taken this to the next level. And I like when such important Pokémon are actually involved in the plot, even if it forces one to catch them when it happens. It just adds more of a climax to the Evil Teams part.

The new features have enriched the gameplay and the core as much, if not more, than the Physical/Special spit, or the Special Stat split. Natures and IVs make each Pokémon truly unique, and Ablities are also interesting twists in the battle scene. The EV cap also adds to the strategy and the uniqueness, not to mention that it empowers a Trainer's style, which was merely limited to Pokémon and Movesets before it. Likewise, Pokémon feel more alive. No one can say that giving them Natures was detrimental. Even if some suck depending on the Pokémon, now they at least feel like true characters, and less like numbers, which was much more apparent in previous Generations, with only the Friendship to go by regarding a more "personal" attachment.

Pokémon Contests also added a new side-quest of sorts to focus on, not to mention a new Role in the Pokéworld and a way to make otherwise "useless" Pokémon in battles to have more of a sense of accomplishment. I dislike how they've been treated since Emerald, but it's a nice add-on nonetheless. Not to mention it adds more of a dynamic compared to the straightforward and non-interactive gameplay of the battles. And regarding the battle scene, we have the Battle Frontier, introduced in Emerald. Having more than one way to battle, and all those twists and turns... it was much refreshing, whether you like it or not. It's not as mindless as the generic battling, definitely.

Really, the only thing 3rd Gen lacked was a proper use of Real Time. However, if it was going to be like GSC, or even worse, like DPP, where it really doesn't makes much of a difference... I'm glad it's not in. Thanks to that, they polished the game where it's actually important.

Regarding other games... FRLG was a nice remake overall, but they left out several needed bits which make it not too good. Not to mention useless "Help" features, especially the flashback crap. That aside, they were a huge improvement in every way over the original games. Colosseum and XD, no matter how many people hate them, gave a new dimension to Pokémon, expanded the plot, and also allowed you to actually focus on training Pokémon you otherwise would ignore. All of these games were great jewels in their own way.

I've been into Pokémon since 1st Gen, but I can say without remorse that 3rd Gen has been the most enjoyable for me. I'll never understand why people hate it. Having Pokémon you dislike doesn't makes it any worse than other Generations. There's nothing wrong with preferences either, but it gets ridiculous when random people call 3rd Gen "skippable". Funnily enough, I still play my 3rd Gen games more than the 4th Gen ones. That might change once I get HeartGold, but 3rd Gen will still remain as an outstanding Generation that wasn't scared of moving away from tradition and gave those capable of appreciating its greatness a much-needed fresh start in this series. Hell, hadn't it been for Gen 3, I'd have abandoned Pokémon by now.

You are officially my hero.

After playing through gens 1 and 2 years ago, skipping gen 3, and recently finishing platinum, I have started to play gen 3. So far it's alright, but I only have 2 badges at this point.

More often than not, it's the "start from zero" bit. People were pissed off they couldn't get their precious Pokémon from GSC into this. Basically, they wanted another cakewalk of a game with the same old Pokémon every damn time. Having an all-new place with next to no links to all the old things was a no-go. I wanna see them deal better with a data issue as big as this one. I bet they'd rather not go through the hassle of making a pheriphery that'd allow the trade between Gen 2 and Gen 3 and make new games, which not only nets them way more money. It's ultimately better for the series as a whole.

Personally, I prefer the 3rd Generation even above the 4th. I don't know, I like it when the new Pokémon are, you know, actually new. 1st Gen did this for obvious reasons, and gladly, 3rd Gen also went this route, with only 2 Pokémon related to old ones. All the rest are 100% new, interesting and refresh the gameplay in a way GSC failed terribly to do. Training and getting to know new critters is where the true core of Pokémon lies at, and 3rd Gen did this really well thanks to the so-hated fresh start. In short, I'm glad it happened. I didn't want another damn Johto.

Hoenn was a much richer Region than Kanto and Johto, which felt samey. While this can be blamed on the system capabilities of the time, and even though Johto had amazing cities like Goldenrod and Ecruteak, as well as much more inspired locations than Kanto, Hoenn is the one Region that has an actual variety of environments all over it, and truly creative Cities and Towns. They're not all the same or generic, as they were in previous Generations, with a few exceptions. We've got a desert, a volcano, a vast sea, underwater areas, jungle, mountains, and a lot of lush and wonderful sceneries, which really stand out. Then we have Fortree, Sootopolis, Pacifidlog, Lavaridge, Fallarbor... even the more "generic" Towns and Cities have a charm of their own. Going through RSE was truly an experience thanks to the scenery alone.

The characters were all cool. I prefer the Johto Gym Leaders, but the Hoenn lot were also pretty cool, especially as far as looks are concerned. Also, RSE gave us a decent amount of supporting characters. Faces that stand out alonside the Gym Leaders and the Elite Four, which were few and counted in previous Generations. As for the evil Teams... the rivalry concept was really well done, at least in Emerald, where both stood as antagonists and their Leaders got differentiation. No matter how retarded or short-sighted their plans were, they had quite the spin on the tired Team Rocket stuff of the time, which was much-welcome. And personally, I like it when they stared to focus this one plot on the Legendary Pokémon. It's just a realistic take, whatever people say. Why should humans limit themselves to their own capabilities or methods, when they have an array of creatures to take advantage of in order to reach their objectives? Team Rocket did the same, but only Magma, Aqua, Cipher, Galactic, Go-Rock Squad and Dim Sun have actually taken this to the next level. And I like when such important Pokémon are actually involved in the plot, even if it forces one to catch them when it happens. It just adds more of a climax to the Evil Teams part.

The new features have enriched the gameplay and the core as much, if not more, than the Physical/Special spit, or the Special Stat split. Natures and IVs make each Pokémon truly unique, and Ablities are also interesting twists in the battle scene. The EV cap also adds to the strategy and the uniqueness, not to mention that it empowers a Trainer's style, which was merely limited to Pokémon and Movesets before it. Likewise, Pokémon feel more alive. No one can say that giving them Natures was detrimental. Even if some suck depending on the Pokémon, now they at least feel like true characters, and less like numbers, which was much more apparent in previous Generations, with only the Friendship to go by regarding a more "personal" attachment.

Pokémon Contests also added a new side-quest of sorts to focus on, not to mention a new Role in the Pokéworld and a way to make otherwise "useless" Pokémon in battles to have more of a sense of accomplishment. I dislike how they've been treated since Emerald, but it's a nice add-on nonetheless. Not to mention it adds more of a dynamic compared to the straightforward and non-interactive gameplay of the battles. And regarding the battle scene, we have the Battle Frontier, introduced in Emerald. Having more than one way to battle, and all those twists and turns... it was much refreshing, whether you like it or not. It's not as mindless as the generic battling, definitely.

Really, the only thing 3rd Gen lacked was a proper use of Real Time. However, if it was going to be like GSC, or even worse, like DPP, where it really doesn't makes much of a difference... I'm glad it's not in. Thanks to that, they polished the game where it's actually important.

Regarding other games... FRLG was a nice remake overall, but they left out several needed bits which make it not too good. Not to mention useless "Help" features, especially the flashback crap. That aside, they were a huge improvement in every way over the original games. Colosseum and XD, no matter how many people hate them, gave a new dimension to Pokémon, expanded the plot, and also allowed you to actually focus on training Pokémon you otherwise would ignore. All of these games were great jewels in their own way.

I've been into Pokémon since 1st Gen, but I can say without remorse that 3rd Gen has been the most enjoyable for me. I'll never understand why people hate it. Having Pokémon you dislike doesn't makes it any worse than other Generations. There's nothing wrong with preferences either, but it gets ridiculous when random people call 3rd Gen "skippable". Funnily enough, I still play my 3rd Gen games more than the 4th Gen ones. That might change once I get HeartGold, but 3rd Gen will still remain as an outstanding Generation that wasn't scared of moving away from tradition and gave those capable of appreciating its greatness a much-needed fresh start in this series. Hell, hadn't it been for Gen 3, I'd have abandoned Pokémon by now.

I agree totally. I liked Gen III more so that D/P, but Platinum made me like Gen IV just that little more, I'll go into more detail now:

Yes that was it. For years people had their old "Rattata and Pidgey" even Kanto to fall back on. They got very used to this. When it went people said "the games going to suck now" and so on. If you actually bypassed your loss of these things and actually focused enough on the new features, you'd see they would be just as good and possibly visually better than what your used to before. Sure RS didn't have your rattata and pidgy but what you did get was just as good IMO.

I liked contests myself and it was one reason why you could still have a move like "scratch" on your high level sandslash, whereas in battle it would be not good...even "Spash" the useless move in battle, gets you something, before it was the most pointless thing in the game if you ask me. I lik how many new berries were introduced especially for contests. Might just be me but I liked actually planting berries and growing them, gave you something to do when game was getting a bit thin on things to do post E4. The only issue was the berry glitch, but Emerald never had this so that was a plus. I liked the design of some berries like "Raburta" or "Watmel" and so on, what they were based on and how their artwork looked.

As for the evil Teams... the rivalry concept was really well done, at least in Emerald, where both stood as antagonists and their Leaders got differentiation. No matter how retarded or short-sighted their plans were, they had quite the spin on the tired Team Rocket stuff of the time, which was much-welcome. And personally, I like it when they stared to focus this one plot on the Legendary Pokémon. It's just a realistic take, whatever people say.

Yeah, thats what I liked. in RGB or GSC, TR didn't really have much part in the legendaries. With this way RSE had it, you could have more chance of acessing the main legendaries easier and having a more diverse story and it does seem more realistic. In real life if there was something as important as legendary pokemon, you'd think someone out there would be after it and since pokemon in the pokemon world can be caught, you'd think someone out there would want the most powerful ones for their gain which is why Aqua/Magma appeared. They wanted to expand land/sea for their gain to help certian types of pokemon survive. It was the first time you saw a team that was supposidly "helping the enviroment" but doing it in a bad way and therefore making them evil. If it wasn't for this, would we have people like Cyrus in D/P wahting to make a new world? Saying they want to help the world and people but in no way doing so.

I agree FR/LG was an inprovement to the originals, especially with the addition of Sevii and the reshuffling of the E4s pokemon once you got to Sevii islands. Now people could have their rattata/pidgy back...Gen III style. Only few issues with this I didn't like so much:

Not being able to plant berries but with no contests, not really needed
Tanoby ruins had little in the way of much of a story which I hope was going to be expanded on, but never happened. Being able to get Lugia/Ho-oh in the game via the event ticket was a nice touch, and the extra Gen II pokemon could help for those missing GSC days.

but it gets ridiculous when random people call 3rd Gen "skippable". Funnily enough, I still play my 3rd Gen games more than the 4th Gen ones. That might change once I get HeartGold, but 3rd Gen will still remain as an outstanding Generation that wasn't scared of moving away from tradition and gave those capable of appreciating its greatness a much-needed fresh start in this series. Hell, hadn't it been for Gen 3, I'd have abandoned Pokémon by now.

Exactly how I feel. How is it skippable? Without Gen III we would not have a lot of the things like natures, moves and even some of the better pokemon like shedinja or indeed ralts that ended up giving us gallade and snorunt that gave us in the end, froslass. Also FR/LG gave us the starter pokemon moves and Emerald, pichus volt tackle when bred holding light ball.

I do agree that the story could have been improved, but the graphics were improved a lot over previous games. Now I also liked the attack animations, sometimes more so than D/P/Pt animations like phychic moves look alot better with the purple/pink background that was there in Gen III

Only thing I wished RSE had was Night/Day however the weather effects like thunder/heavy rain in some routes or bright sunlight. It was neat idea...paved the way for more weather in Gen IV like snow, fog etc...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom