• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

How...how can you not like the Gen. III Pokemon? :bawling:
Except Milotic. That I understand.
:mad:

Yes, as far as I'm concerned, Dragonair should have been the final stage--perhaps with something intermediate between her and Dratini. But that tubby orange dinosaur is still one of the original 151, so...

That's not quite fair, though. Dragonite used to look pretty badass:

Spr_1b_149.png
Spr_1g_149.png

It was only as the games progressed that the poor bastard started looking so lame.

Yes, as far as I'm concerned, Dragonair should have been the final stage--perhaps with something intermediate between her and Dratini. But that tubby orange dinosaur is still one of the original 151, so...

Oy... Dragonite an European-style dragon. Just because it seems cute doesn't make it any less of a dragon. Many cute things can be rather destructive. Plusle and Minun, for example, can be deadly in Battle Pyramid if you're not careful. I found that out the hard way.

That, and Lance in HGSS has THREE of them, and managed to destroy me the first few times. Dragonite is my favorite Pokemon, but even I didn't realize how insanely destructive it can be.

? Dragonite is emphatically *not* cute, and I don't want it as a European-style dragon. I was specific that it ought to have looked more like Dragonair.

EDIT: That Red/Green sprite isn't bad. It looks frighteningly deformed, but I can see more Dragonair aspects to it, especially with its more serpentine appearance.

Aww, poor Dragonite...they rarely get the respect they deserve because they look awfully silly. In fact, they look like they spend most of their time hanging out on the beach, eating ice cream sandwiches, instead of their fierce looking brethren who look like they could actually destroy cities. Flygons are a bit silly, too, but they sure are neat! Come
to think of it, Gen III did have some pretty cool pokèmon, especially type wise.

How...how can you not like the Gen. III Pokemon? :bawling:
Except Milotic. That I understand.
:mad:

Because I don't? :/ The majority of them don't interest me in the slightest. Excuse me for having different preferences that you seemingly can't understand. >_> It's called an opinion.

Because I don't? :/ The majority of them don't interest me in the slightest. Excuse me for having different preferences that you seemingly can't understand. >_> It's called an opinion.

Then you got a weird taste in design and looks. That's the only thing I can say about it (subjective of course). I don't find Lyra, Johto or the Generation II Pokémon that good or memorable either.

Then you got a weird taste in design and looks. That's the only thing I can say about it (subjective of course). I don't find Lyra, Johto or the Generation II Pokémon that good or memorable either.

=___= Again, excuse me for having a different opinion on the designs. I like the simplicity of Gen1's and 2's pokémon. And while Gen4 wasn't exactly a 'return to simplicity', I found things I liked in their designs, unlike Gen3. There just was nothing that really caught my eye as being "cool" or "cute" by my standards. Do I seriously need my taste in design questioned for liking something others don't? geez, excuse me.

Yeah, I find that the game becomes a little arduous around reaching Mossberg. Gen III will always be weird for me...It's the only main Pokèmon game that I did not get at launch or even shortly after, and it was the most difficult to keep interest in. I did, however, enjoy the landscape of the region (which is a big plus for me in a game, especially RPGs)...but the surfing around everywhere kinda got old for me, too.

Johto, ftw. Although, I can understand why people would not care for Gen II pokèmon...oh well, at least it introduced us to wobbuffets.

=___= Again, excuse me for having a different opinion on the designs. I like the simplicity of Gen1's and 2's pokémon. And while Gen4 wasn't exactly a 'return to simplicity', I found things I liked in their designs, unlike Gen3. There just was nothing that really caught my eye as being "cool" or "cute" by my standards. Do I seriously need my taste in design questioned for liking something others don't? geez, excuse me.

THANK YOU. THANK YOU.

People who diss on people who don't like Gen. III need to learn that PEOPLE CAN HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS

But, surely you like Swalot? No one can hate Swalot. :mad:

No, Swalot is, in concept fine, but I don't like it as a pokémon. The few Gen3 pokémon I like are Swablu line, Flygon, Plusle/Minun... *thinks* ... that's it. Azurill as well, but that's a Gen2 pokémon's baby form, so I kind of don't count it as pure Gen3 pokémon.

I had to actually THINK for a moment... wow. :/ Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh I can name my favorites in seconds...

say wha...? u mean u dont liek mudkipz?!?1!1!1!

I liked a lot the Dark-types from R/S/E...too bad their defense stats are generally garbage.

Mudkip was cool, yeah. As were the Lati twins, I thought (IMO, anyway, these two look more like Johto designs than Hoenn).

One of my reasons to hate it is all the crybabies who use all their time complaining about how everybody hates it.

Also I used to hate that every Pokemon got their own partysprite, I guess this is counted as my personal opinion?
Dive areas was the most boring part of the game, weee another kind of cave, except you most move slow and most of the place lacks grass, weeee.
It didn't have day/night, a sweet and cool feature in gen2.
iIt downgraded the Battle Tower from Crystal.
RS had fewer available Pokemon than GSC, I don't mind that most of the Pokemon from previous gens wasn't there, or that you couldn't trade, it was the fact that there were fewer Pokemon I could use that was the big letdown for me.
The fact that there was not a second region was also a big letdown consider they had it in gen2.

On the other hand they gave us Natures, EV and abilities which was great.

Its not like I hate Gen III. Its just when it is compared to Gen II. It felt like a huge let down.

I mean Gen II

Combined the Kanto and Johto Region
Introduced Steel and Dark type
The time machine (Admittedily I never used)
Record tracker with link cable VS play
Happiness evolutions
Breeding
Refined Item storage ( Which I will admit Gen III did perfect)
Apricorns to pokeballs
The Day/Night feature (Which Gen III TOOK OUT)

Though I hated on new-fangled dragons earlier, I do like GenIII's Altaria and Latias because they're cute. So if I had to name favorites from GenIII, it'd be those two. My hatred focuses more on Bagon's line and Rayquaza, which are cheap and annoying.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom